Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Who do you feel is the rightful successor of Bruce as Batman?

I have two candidates I've always felt that Terri Mcginnis is the rightful successor to Bruce as Batman because he was trained to be Batman. Many were trained as Robins but not one specifically. Also in JLU it was revealed he was also Bruce's son. That being said I also feel Damian Wayne is another rightful successor as he's also Bruce's son and was also trained by Ra's al Ghul himself. The other's Tim, Jason, even Dick they aren't really successors their protégé's and quite frankly I feel that Jason(until he became Red Hood) and Tim served to just be Robin. Dick on the other hand I'm in a gray area with him he's the first Robin logically he should succeed Bruce but he once said if I'm not mistaken "I'm not Robin and I'm to optimistic to be Batman." His personality just isn't dark and broody enough same with Tim. Also Jason is too much of a stone cold killer to be Batman.

Ultimately I do feely Terry is the rightful heir to the Batman mantle because he was trained for that express purpose.
    Last edited by Castiel; 11-30-2015 at 08:01 PM.

BANNED

Is Dick Grayson too much of cliche answer? He's the only person that makes sense.

BANNED

Dick, then Damian, then Terry in that order, à la Batman #700.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpunk Ronin View Post
    Is Dick Grayson too much of cliche answer? He's the only person that makes sense.
    It's not cliche because he is the rightful "heir" to the cowl. The whole point of a protege is to take the place of the master when he is no longer able. Dick was first so he should take over if DC can ever get that far again in-universe.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Spectacular Member

No one. Bruce Wayne IS Batman. Maybe Terry and Damian.
    Last edited by TsukiSentinel; 11-30-2015 at 10:25 PM.

Damian Wayne. While Grayson had a good stint as Batman, the bottom line is he doesn't want to be Batman in the end.
    Last edited by DamianThomas; 11-30-2015 at 09:10 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DamianThomas View Post
    Damian Wayne. While Grayson had a good stint as Batman, the bottom line is he doesn't want to be Batman in the end.
    This whole line of thought always baffles me.

What does not wanting to be Batman mean then? Not going around saving people and punching out criminals? Well jeez Dick it's not like your other various IDs are that far removed from that. If it's that Batman has to be a big scary guy, well, Dick managed to put his own take on it and found his way of loving it.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Dick Grayson and Damian, since they are Bruce's sons.

Terry would be after that.

Dick is the rightful heir to the Batman's mantle. Whether he wants it or not. Everybody knows this. We have even seen it played out a bit, a couple times. His personality being different from Bruce's doesn't matter. In fact thats in his favor. He's not succeeding Bruce as Bruce.

To me Terri Mcginnis is not even an actual player. He's an else world character that came in as a newbie and an outsider, in a world where Bruce drove everybody else away. He only works in that world, and in that particular situation where everyone else is gone.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-30-2015 at 09:54 PM.

I'd say Dick Grayson, only because he was the original protege.

But honestly I feel like it's no one. As another poster said above, Bruce Wayne is Batman. The occasional arc where somebody fills in or something isn't too bad, but really I feel like if it's not Bruce under the cowl as the status quo then it devalues the character. I like what Todd McFarlane said a couple years ago, even though he later contradicted himself by then creating the Jim Downing Spawn: "A hero should be one of a kind. He shouldn't be able to be mass produced." To me, there's only one true Batman, one true Captain America, one true Spider-Man, etc. Once other people start becoming these characters and treated like the new standard, I lose interest. I've heard how currently James Gordon(!!!) is Batman. WTH?! Zero interest in that.
    Last edited by Michael24; 11-30-2015 at 11:40 PM.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Dick is the rightful heir to the Batman's mantle. Whether he wants it or not. Everybody knows this. We have even seen it played out a bit, a couple times. His personality being different from Bruce's doesn't matter. In fact thats in his favor. He's not succeeding Bruce as Bruce.

To me Terri Mcginnis is not even an actual player. He's an else world character that came in as a newbie and an outsider, in a world where Bruce drove everybody else away. He only works in that world, and in that particular situation where everyone else is gone.
    To me he is a player he just hasn't been born yet he's from the future remember? Ouch weren't all the protégés newbies and outsiders in the beginning to? That part of your argument doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    I'd say Dick Grayson, only because he was the original protege.

But honestly I feel like it's no one. As another poster said above, Bruce Wayne is Batman. The occasional arc where somebody fills in or something isn't too bad, but really I feel like if it's not Bruce under the cowl as the status quo then it devalues the character. I like what Todd McFarlane said a couple years ago, even though he later contradicted himself by then creating the Jim Downing Spawn: "A hero should be one of a kind. He shouldn't be able to be mass produced." To me, there's only one true Batman, one true Captain America, one true Spider-Man, etc. Once other people start becoming these characters and treated like the new standard, I lose interest. I've heard how currently James Gordon(!!!) is Batman. WTH?! Zero interest in that.
    James Gordon as Batman? I think a part of me just died a little inside. Your right though Bruce is Batman no one else. On a side note does anyone else find the insane number of Robins annoying?

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    To me he is a player he just hasn't been born yet he's from the future remember? Ouch weren't all the protégés newbies and outsiders in the beginning to? That part of your argument doesn't make sense.
    How is he a player if he hasn't even been born yet, and is from a future that is ever changing and probably will never even come to fruition. And the proteges were newbies and outsiders in the beginning too, but were put into a role fitting of a newbie and an outsider until they weren't a newbie or an outsider anymore. They didn't just succeed Bruce and become Batman. That works in a world were there is no one else, and there are no other options, but in world where characters like Dick are around it makes no sense. And i don't see DC cutting out Dick, Damian, Jason, or Tim like they did in the show anytime soon.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 12-01-2015 at 07:16 AM.

Spectacular Member

If it meant I get more issues like Grant Morrison's run give me Dick Grayson as Batman with Damian Robin right now

Dick not wanting to Batman too long is because by the time he was sn adult he realized he can choose his own path and Bruce is Batman so when he wore the cowl it was to Protect Gotham and the honor of hud mentor.

The argument that you need to Dark like Batman or exactly like him is bull as no Master wants a clone student who will do exactly what you do but understands, respect, and build on your views but from their own personal way. Knocking Dick for not being as Dark as Batman is misunderstanding their relationship. Dick having the same dark outlook on life is a personal failure for Bruce. Bruce NEEDS Grayson to be who he is to prove the point of his or else he is really accomplishing nothing to save Gotham.

The worthy successor to the mantle of Batman is Dick but it does not matter as you will NEVER have a Wally West type run on a different Batman because the sales would never justify it and you already have had Dickbats and GordonBats.