Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    Just wondered if anyone was feeling the same.

I know Marvel are doing really well right now, so I assume I am probably in the minority. But I just cannot get myself to care about All New All Different at all!!!!
    What's "ANAD" though? What Howling Commandos of SHIELD shares with Iron Man or Amazing Spider Man shares with Ms. Marvel? Hawkeye with New Avengers? Vision with Squirrel Girl? How can one not care about "ANAD"? One could care or not care for any individual book but not for a branding label, in my opinion. The books I liked before SW (Thor, Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, Hawkeye) are the same as before, the same continuing story and creative teams. Some new books Like Vision and Uncanny Inhumans are cool too. Other I didn't like them very much like Avengers and Spider Man. But one things for sure, they are all very different one from the other, I find very difficult how someone could not like none of them.

About the reboot thing…a rebot is said to be:

In serial fiction, to reboot means to discard all continuity in an established series in order to recreate its characters, timeline and backstory from the beginning

The books I am reading or I have read recently, like Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, Amazing Spider Man, Thor, Hawkeye, they all continue the pre SW stories so I don't see how you can call it a reboot.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 90sChild View Post
    Everything would be so much less confusing if we didn't have so many versions of different people playing the same persona.
    Well actually there is just one Thor, one Captain America, one Wolverine…and yes, two Spider Men… don't seem so confusing to me. I didn't see a lot of people complain when Bucky was Cap and Rogers was American Super Cop, or complaining because there is a Spider Man and a Spider Man 2099 since last year. But when one of them is a woman, a latino, or is black it starts get confusing

The diversity thing doesn't bother me. I grew up reading X-Men, they have been the most diverse group since 1975.

I've just lost interest in Marvel, to me it's feeling very DisMal.
    Last edited by autbey; 12-01-2015 at 12:02 PM.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

ANAD has me not caring at all about Avengers (only Ultimates) or X-Men.

But I'm caring about other things.

Quote Originally Posted by penthotal View Post
    there is just one Thor
    I keep saying that, but there's this stupid woman in my book that I really don't care about.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    I keep saying that, but there's this stupid woman in my book that I really don't care about.
    Jesus, dude.
    I write about the intersection of science, comics and culture. Check it out!

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Jesus, dude.
    Well, it's true, and it's not because she's a woman. My list has many female-lead books.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Well actually there is just one Thor, one Captain America, one Wolverine…and yes, two Spider Men… don't seem so confusing to me. I didn't see a lot of people complain when Bucky was Cap and Rogers was American Super Cop, or complaining because there is a Spider Man and a Spider Man 2099 since last year. But when one of them is a woman, a latino, or is black it starts get confusing
    There are two thors. Jane Foster and Odinson, it wil be more so when one of them picks up the hammer Ultimate Thor left on Asgard so conveniently. Two Captain Americas, since Steve Rogers ain't dead and seems to be getting more and more in shape with avery passing month. Two Hulks since banner is still around and he will always be hulk. Two wolverines, X-23 and Old Man Logan. So yes, it's kind of confusing.

And to adress your comments about minorities, I guess you are one of those conspirationist Marvel is sadly pampering. I don't care if the replacements are Black, Women, Gay, Latino or whatever. As I said before the problem does not reside in changing, but in way too many changes at once to the point of making the Marvel Universe unrecognizable.

My main compaint is thet if Marvel wants to push, say, a black superhero, why don't they create an original one, or push one of the already stablished ones?? Why do they have to kick aside one of their main characters to make room for the diverse one? same has happened all over their publishing line.

A very similar case happened on the 90s when Thor was replaced by thunderstrike, Iron man by War Machine, and Cap by US Agent. That time it was also rushed and bothering. And had nothing to do with diversity. On the other hand, I think that one of the saddest decisions Marvel has ever made was to get rid of all the avengers academy cast, which was all about diversity in genre, race, culture and sexual orientation...and above all, were original characters and their depiction and place in the Marvel Universe felt natural and not forced.

It's sad, but there will always be people more than willing to point their fingers and blame the others for their intolerance, even if the discussion does not remotely justify it. It's the flavor of the week after all

Empty is thy hand!

I'm a fan of long-form storytelling, but I don't think Marvel plans that far out in advance anymore. We'll get another round of relaunches before long anyway, so I'm just not invested in these stories that don't really go anywhere. I grew up on long runs of comics by guys like Kurt Busiek, Peter David, and Mark Waid. Now the only guys who stay on books for any length of time are the ones that I just don't enjoy (though I am grateful that Dan Slott is still on Spider-Man). After trying a few of the new #1's, I just can't muster up any more interest.

Being honest I think for me anyway its just change for a while maybe a long while but its so temporary, Jane Foster will be Thor until Thor Odinson becomes worthy then she will pick up the other hammer and be a super hero in her own right and more than likely go down to a supporting character instead of a co lead or they will kill her off. Cho as the hulk doesn't interest me that much its a fresh take and I will more than likely pick up the first trade to try it but for me Banner is Hulk, Rogers will regain the SS and take up the shield and Sam will either go back to being Falcon or be renamed American Eagle or something and they may try a solo series but the chance of it being a success is low. For me I think Secret Wars was Marvel destroying the multiverse and then they rebuilt the marvel u as well as the multiverse they bring Old Man Logan into the Main U why if there are other dimensions for me I personally think they should have destroyed it and kept one universe like they said they would. Bottom line ANAD Marvel is a branding so I think its about Money and they will promote this and that and some of the time it will mean jack in the long term. BTW I'm curious what they will call Miles because if its Spider-Man then that's three people using the name and I think its two to many.
    Truth is the best policy

I like a lot of what ANAD Marvel is doing and haven't been this excited about Marvel in general in a long time. Marvel is taking a lot of chances and they seem to be willing to stick with it for more than just a month. Even if I end up not liking what eventually happens at least they are trying.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    There are two thors. Jane Foster and Odinson, it wil be more so when one of them picks up the hammer Ultimate Thor left on Asgard so conveniently. Two Captain Americas, since Steve Rogers ain't dead and seems to be getting more and more in shape with avery passing month. Two Hulks since banner is still around and he will always be hulk. Two wolverines, X-23 and Old Man Logan. So yes, it's kind of confusing.

And to adress your comments about minorities, I guess you are one of those conspirationist Marvel is sadly pampering. I don't care if the replacements are Black, Women, Gay, Latino or whatever. As I said before the problem does not reside in changing, but in way too many changes at once to the point of making the Marvel Universe unrecognizable.

My main compaint is thet if Marvel wants to push, say, a black superhero, why don't they create an original one, or push one of the already stablished ones?? Why do they have to kick aside one of their main characters to make room for the diverse one? same has happened all over their publishing line.

A very similar case happened on the 90s when Thor was replaced by thunderstrike, Iron man by War Machine, and Cap by US Agent. That time it was also rushed and bothering. And had nothing to do with diversity. On the other hand, I think that one of the saddest decisions Marvel has ever made was to get rid of all the avengers academy cast, which was all about diversity in genre, race, culture and sexual orientation...and above all, were original characters and their depiction and place in the Marvel Universe felt natural and not forced.

It's sad, but there will always be people more than willing to point their fingers and blame the others for their intolerance, even if the discussion does not remotely justify it. It's the flavor of the week after all
    So we have two of each, but the MU is still unrecognizable? It's like folks want there to be this anxiety over there being a new kinda Thor on the block, but don't quite wanna admit it.

And part of the point of them being around at the same time is that they get to interact with each other. Falcon and Jane Foster's Thor, for example.

Oh yeah, and Rhodey was Iron Man before he was War Machine.

BANNED

How is it confusing? It's not for everyone that reads or approach the books, only one is called Thor, Wolverine or Captain American, only one has the costume. The only people that keep saying it's confusing it's old readers that know perfectly how things are, really, you know what's going on, how can you be confused?

It's really simple:

The one that's Thor is called Thor and has an hammer, the other is a bearded man with an axe and it's called Odinson.
    The one that's Captain America is called Captain America and is a young black man with a shield and a Cap costume, the other one appears sparingly, is an old man called Rogers, without shield or Cap uniform.
    Wolverine is a young girl with a Wolverine costume, she's called Wolverine and other one is an old man with a leather jacket, is called Logan, and is in another book altogether that's titled Old Man Logan not Wolverine.

Because it has been showed again and again that new characters rarely works, they are a business, they need new readers to survive and they have to use their biggest brands to make things work. This is about diversity as much as survival. Don't know if you have noticed but, ten years ago a mid-list book used to sell 50k copies, now 50k copies it's the best most of the books do. 25-30k copies are seen as a success, few years ago a books at these levels wouldn't been able to keep going on. The old hardcore readership keeps shrinking and it's not enough to hope to survive the next ten years. Salary for writers and artists have fallen to the point that they make more money working on a 12k copies Image books than for Marvel, Hickman makes 90% of his income with Image despite writing Avengers and the biggest selling event in ten years, many artists have said how with 12-15k copies of their Image book they make a lot more money than at Marvel. Money are in TPB today, Saga it's not a big success because it sells like Uncanny X-Men, but because with 5 collections has already sold more than 500.000 copies in 3 years or so. The biggest Marvel's success in the latest years have been Hawkeye and Ms. Marvel, not because they sold or sell like Cap, Iron Man or Hulk (they did), but because they sold and keep selling tens of thousand of TPBs month after month. New readers like indie style comics, young characters, buy collections or digital and they are a demographic not composed by white males only anymore. Marvel is a business, they are not stupid, all this "pandering to the diversity crowd" it's really naive, they make what they think they need to make money, hardcore white male old fans are not where the money is anymore and surely won't be in a few years because they will keep getting older, change habits and ultimately die as anyone of us.
    Last edited by penthotal; 12-02-2015 at 08:30 AM.

How is it confusing? It's not for everyone that reads or approach the books, only one is called Thor, Wolverine or Captain American, only one has the costume. The only people that keep saying it's confusing it's old readers that know perfectly how things are, really, you know what's going on, how can you be confused?\
    In my encounters, the only ones who are confused are potential new readers or readers coming back from a hiatus.

I suppose what's confusing to long time readers, at least to me, is that despite Marvel being all about pushing man of their books to be like the movies, in a few notable cases, they could not be straying further. And I suppose it's a good thing, but it doesn't come without certain drawbacks.
    Last edited by Of Atlantis; 12-02-2015 at 08:46 AM.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

BANNED

Again, that's stuff's all temporary. You can't have 60 continuous years of monthly serialized adventures starring one guy beating people up without switching things up temporarily from time to time. It keeps things fresh, and makes you pine for the old guys/gals. Used to be it was another white man taking the place of the original white man, now it's open to anyone. And it's a temp job, so don't worry. The real Thor/Cap/whatever will be back all too soon.

BANNED

How much does Marvel really push their comics to adhere to the movies? When Amazing Spider-Man came out, Slott did a Lizard arc. But it didn't follow the movie beats beyond the villain.

Seems to be little things here and there. Maybe sometimes if word comes down from on high that they wanna push some character.