Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Just don't care ANAD

Just wondered if anyone was feeling the same.

I know Marvel are doing really well right now, so I assume I am probably in the minority. But I just cannot get myself to care about All New All Different at all!!!! Weird thing is I can't really put my finger on why. The only titles I'm looking to pick up are the ones which are largely unchanged from before Secret Wars. Maybe it's because I almost completely ignored Secret Wars so haven't had the build up to ANAD, maybe it's because I'm largely an X fan and feel ANAD has kind of derailed everything there. I try and look forward to books like Totally Awesome Hulk, or the many new spider books and I just really don't feel interested.

If anyone else feels the same, why do you think this is, could be because of the mass relaunch. I didn't really feel like this with DCs latest relaunch and still pick up many DC titles.

BANNED

I feel the same. Dunno why. I do not question it.

Btw, I LOVE your username 1984 because there are a lot of cool things from that year that I looked back fondly on their 30th anniversary last year in 2014

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    Just wondered if anyone was feeling the same.

I know Marvel are doing really well right now, so I assume I am probably in the minority. But I just cannot get myself to care about All New All Different at all!!!! Weird thing is I can't really put my finger on why. The only titles I'm looking to pick up are the ones which are largely unchanged from before Secret Wars. Maybe it's because I almost completely ignored Secret Wars so haven't had the build up to ANAD, maybe it's because I'm largely an X fan and feel ANAD has kind of derailed everything there. I try and look forward to books like Totally Awesome Hulk, or the many new spider books and I just really don't feel interested.

If anyone else feels the same, why do you think this is, could be because of the mass relaunch. I didn't really feel like this with DCs latest relaunch and still pick up many DC titles.
    Maybe you're suffering from "Event Fatigue" as Marvel, perhaps more than DC are constantly ramming so-called "events" down readers' throats, one after the other after the other. Granted, the tipping point has yet to have been reached as fans continue shelling out bucks for that stuff with delight, so Marvel has no reason to break with tradition, but for a small minority, of which I include myself, that fatigue set in and isn't about to let go. I gave up events after Fear Itself and haven't looked back, and given the mess Secret Wars 2.0 has been with all those interminable delays, making the company's reboot (and let's call a spade a spade, it's a reboot) into ANAD all the more perplexing and disjointed, it's no wonder some fans are fed up. So, no, you're not alone. So far, I've only dipped a tentative toe into the ANAD waters with Invincible Iron Man, Amazing Spider-Man, Doctor Strange and Howling Commandos of S.H.I.E.L.D., but it's an arm's length relationship at best, the minute I smell "event" or "crossover" with any of those books, I'll drop them like a live hand grenade. Marvel is going to have to earn my loyalty before I commit fully to them again like I had decades ago.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 12-01-2015 at 07:12 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I don't care about the relaunch.. as long as my favorite characters are being in written in good stories then that's cool.

Yes!!! Definitely glad some people share my voice, despite being in the minority. I just found it a bit strange as I'd actually quite like to like the relaunch. I guess best thing to do is not bother too much about it, pick up the couple of titles I am interested in and just hope they reignite my interest at some point in the future. I wonder if maybe they are doing really well as this approach works well with enticing new readers in???

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    I feel the same. Dunno why. I do not question it.

Btw, I LOVE your username 1984 because there are a lot of cool things from that year that I looked back fondly on their 30th anniversary last year in 2014
    This !

I will wait before questioning it further. Don't wanna get paranoid ! I've read 1984 too many times !

You're definitively not alone. A few posters expressed the same feeling on the thread about the delay for SW. 9

I'm actually opposite. I was down to 3 titles pre secret wars. Now I'm back up to 9 (once Black Panther and Black Widow start). I was completely apathetic about Marvel other than a few key franchises, this has reinvigorated my interest.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I don't care about the relaunch.. as long as my favorite characters are being in written in good stories then that's cool.
    This. As for feeling fatigued, every fan goes through it at some point. It just happens. I stopped buying pretty much everything for almost ten years at one point, then slowly got back into collecting. But the era when there wasn't much that interested me was someone else's favorite time, I'm sure.

As for the ANAD books, I'm really digging them so far (with a few exceptions) and some of my most anticipated books are yet to come.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Maybe you're suffering from "Event Fatigue" as Marvel, perhaps more than DC are constantly ramming so-called "events" down readers' throats, one after the other after the other. Granted, the tipping point has yet to have been reached as fans continue shelling out bucks for that stuff with delight, so Marvel has no reason to break with tradition, but for a small minority, of which I include myself, that fatigue set in and isn't about to let go. I gave up events after Fear Itself and haven't looked back, and given the mess Secret Wars 2.0 has been with all those interminable delays, making the company's reboot (and let's call a spade a spade, it's a reboot) into ANAD all the more perplexing and disjointed, it's no wonder some fans are fed up. So, no, you're not alone. So far, I've only dipped a tentative toe into the ANAD waters with Invincible Iron Man, Amazing Spider-Man, Doctor Strange and Howling Commandos of S.H.I.E.L.D., but it's an arm's length relationship at best, the minute I smell "event" or "crossover" with any of those books, I'll drop them like a live hand grenade. Marvel is going to have to earn my loyalty before I commit fully to them again like I had decades ago.
    absolutely event fatigue. I feel the same way as the OP though I still pull about 10 titles I just look at them on my shelf and think "I really dont even care to read those..." I am hoping that I bounce out of this soon but I just feel that after Secret wars and the bazillion titles that were just a waste of time and money I am just tired of marvel and their constant relaunches and re branding.. next year it will be "ALL NEW ALL DIFFERENT ALL AMAZING AND UNCANNY MARVEL UNIVERSE" thats my biggest fear right now is that marvel will never allow themselves to get into a groove again where books sustain themselves instead of being sustained by events. EVENT FATIGUE IS REAL PEOPLE! WE MUST SAFE GUARD OURSELVES AGAINST IT!
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, The Flash, Aquaman, Titans, Justice League, HJATGL, Supergirl, Superwoman, DC Bombshells
    Marvel: CANCELLED (good luck with your seasonal approach and constant reboots... I'll miss the characters though)
    Zenescope: Grimm Fairy Tales

To me, ANAD Marvel has its ups and downs. he main problem with it, in my opinion, is that during the months preceeding Secret Wars and on the event itself, things may have gotten a little too much new and too much different, even for a relaunch.

The main premises Marvel seems to be pursuing here are both change and diversity, and I'm up for that, really. I am enjoying Thor more than I have ever done in years...but the sheer amount of changes and above all, the forced introduction of a truckload of diverse characters to replace already existing ones, has altered the Marvel Universe to the point it is no longer recognizable.

Suddenly we have not only a female thor, also a black captain america, a girl wolverine, an asian teenager hulk... It seems Marvel wants to have some medal pinned to their chest recognizing how diverse they are, and thats not the way to do it. You can't just take all of peoples favourite characters and replace them all at once.

Would it be that hard to create new characters or make others like Amadeus Cho, interesting/marketable, and give them a series of their own??

To me thats the main problem with ANAD. Changes and replacements way too forced to feel natural or comfortable with.

I just don't really vibe with the new Avengers or Inhumans in ANAD Marvel. The directions just don't interest me and there's already talks of crossing over books in events and I'm just ugh.

I'll just be sticking to my self contained books for now.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

BANNED

I'd say it's just like any other era. There's no guarantee that you'll like a book until you pick it up and read it. If ANAD isn't for you, then it's not for you. Maybe isn't the first time, probably won't be the last time. We've all been there.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    To me, ANAD Marvel has its ups and downs. he main problem with it, in my opinion, is that during the months preceeding Secret Wars and on the event itself, things may have gotten a little too much new and too much different, even for a relaunch.

The main premises Marvel seems to be pursuing here are both change and diversity, and I'm up for that, really. I am enjoying Thor more than I have ever done in years...but the sheer amount of changes and above all, the forced introduction of a truckload of diverse characters to replace already existing ones, has altered the Marvel Universe to the point it is no longer recognizable.

Suddenly we have not only a female thor, also a black captain america, a girl wolverine, an asian teenager hulk... It seems Marvel wants to have some medal pinned to their chest recognizing how diverse they are, and thats not the way to do it. You can't just take all of peoples favourite characters and replace them all at once.

Would it be that hard to create new characters or make others like Amadeus Cho, interesting/marketable, and give them a series of their own??

To me thats the main problem with ANAD. Changes and replacements way too forced to feel natural or comfortable with.
    Funny thing, even after all those changes, Tony Stark is still Iron Man, Peter Parker is still Spider-Man (I completely ignore Miles Morales) and Matt Murdock is still Daredevil. You mean to tell me there hadn't been talk in the Marvel offices about replacing those stalwarts like they had Thor Odinson, Steve Rogers and Bruce Banner?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

Every so often the Big 2 will slap a logo on their books, or announce some new initiative. "New 52", "Heroic Age", "ANAD", whatever. It means nothing in itself. It's just branding. Pay attention to who's writing and drawing the books and (if it matters to you, doesn't to me) who's starring in them. That's all that matters. And pray they don't get dragged into the Event du jour.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post

Sums up how I feel, as someone that is beginning marvel at ANAD, having never previously purchased anything prior to ANAD since the mid 90s. I didn't understand why all the classic heroes are just being replaced with a different person that took over their persona. The wolverine with X23 actually made sense to me because of the death of wolverine and I'm pretty sure X23 is not a new character and existed alongside logan when he was alive so I get that one. But replacing thor, hulk, spiderman, captain america, etc. Is strange. I get most of those have a back story and a reason too, but it does seem forced to me. Comes off a little bit like political demographic pandering. I have no problem with adding diversity but why are we replacing characters instead of making new ones? Marvel must not think they can stand on their own merits unless they are attached to something already successful. Would they ever dream of making wonder woman into a man? Probably not. Everything would be so much less confusing if we didn't have so many versions of different people playing the same persona.
    Last edited by 90sChild; 12-01-2015 at 10:26 AM.