View Poll Results: Which Image comic was your favourite this week?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black Jack Ketchum #1 (of 4)

0 0%
  • Black Science #18

0 0%
  • Citizen Jack #2

0 0%
  • Dark Corridor #5

0 0%
  • East of West #22

10 37.04%
  • The Humans #10

1 3.70%
  • IXth Generation #7

0 0%
  • Nailbiter #18

2 7.41%
  • Paper Girls #3

7 25.93%
  • Plutona #3 (of 5)

2 7.41%
  • Revival #35

2 7.41%
  • Rocket Girl #7

1 3.70%
  • Savage Dragon #209

0 0%
  • They're Not Like Us #10

1 3.70%
  • Where Is Jake Ellis? #5 (of 5)

1 3.70%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Image Comics poll week 49 - Black Jack Ketchum & a whole bunch of cheap comics!

Hey everyone, welcome back to the weekly Image round-up. Vote for your favourite comic and sound off below!

Last week was clear-cut - sure, there were several fan-favourites out at once, but none could match the return of Saga. The sci-fi/fantasy indie darling nabs its 4th win of the weekly poll this year!

This week's highlights include The Humans ending its arc (the book's returning next year), IXth Generation hitting its penultimate issue (for now?), Savage Dragon celebrating a wedding, Revival closing its current arc, Where Is Jake Ellis wrapping up, and the long-awaited return of Rocket Girl!

There's also new stuff out: Black Jack Ketchum tells a western story with supernatural elements. "Black Jack" Ketchum has a talking revolver (natch), as well as a mute (but rifle-carrying) girl and a secretive gambler for company. Pretty sure this is a mini-series, but I could be wrong there.

Would also like to mention all the Image Firsts out this week. Basically they're cheap 1$ reprints of first issues of currently running series. If you've been curious about hit titles like Sunstone, Descender, Bitch Planet or lesser known gems like Birthright, ODY-C, the Humans, Copperhead, Nowhere Men, Wayward... Consider this your chance to try one out on the cheap!

235461_s0.jpg

Why does Black Jack Ketchum look like he is wearing a Guy Fawkes mask?

I am hyped for tomorrow. Black Science Vs East Of West, with Paper Girls and The Humans climax as potential underdog winners for my vote.

Just EoW for me this week, i'm always pretty pumped for it though.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Only reviewing Plutona tomorrow, but I'll try to catch up with some other Image books.

Though tomorrow is exciting for the other publishers' books with Prez, Vision, The Sheriff of Baghdad, and Robin War. I would also like to point out that most of those are written by Tom King (hint hint King fans. Don't miss out)

Then you got some great manga as well this week with Assassination Classroom Vol. 7, Food Wars Vol. 9, Komomo Confiserie Vol. 2, possibly Platinum End #2, Noragami: Stray Stories 1, the digital release of Parasyte 1 (good sci-fi if you don't mind the awful sexism), and more! Really heavy and great week all around for all companies!
    Last edited by InformationGeek; 12-01-2015 at 08:57 PM.

Kinda blew the comic budget on various Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales over the weekend, so just They're Not Like Us this round. Plutona will keep for a week.

3 for me this week
    Nailbiter
    Black Science
    Paper Girls
    Will have a look at Black Jack Ketchum as well

Getting Black Science, East of West, and Paper Girls for sure. Might try Black Jack Ketchum also.

Black Science #18, East of West #22, Nailbiter #18, Paper Girls #3, Plutona #3 & They're Not Like Us #10 for me this week. From other publishers The Auteur : Sister Bambi from Oni wraps up this week & John Flood from Boom Studios hits it's penultimate issue.

I voted for Paper Girls. I've voted for it every issue now.

East Of West was cool, but too quick a read to earn the vote. Nude fighting is always a plus and usually secures a book my vote, but not this time. It reminded me of a recent issue of Low by Remender that featured a nice topless battle. How come TV/film never do good nude fight scenes? This is why comics are superior to video media.

Black Science was underwhelming, I don't enjoy the new arc. It is clear that nothing of major consequence will happen in these issues until Grant gets out of Godworld and gets back to the rest of the books characters. It feels like an arc designed to fill time in a book with an endgame looming on the horizon. I've never been critical of Black Science before now, and was hesitant to say these things after the first issue of the arc, but now I am getting bored.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    Why does Black Jack Ketchum look like he is wearing a Guy Fawkes mask?
    At last the famous hacker has been found!

East Of West was cool, but too quick a read to earn the vote. Nude fighting is always a plus and usually secures a book my vote, but not this time. It reminded me of a recent issue of Low by Remender that featured a nice topless battle. How come TV/film never do good nude fight scenes? This is why comics are superior to video media.
    For your consideration though:

I went with East of West this week. That was just a really cool issue. I also loved Paper Girls. Most weeks it would have gotten my vote.

The new Black Science arc is ok. I'm kind of glad to get a break from all those other people.

How come TV/film never do good nude fight scenes? This is why comics are superior to video media.
    Viggo Mortensen fought in the nude in Eastern Promises (a brutal battle it was)

-----

My Image reads this week...

Black Jack Ketchum was odd, not bad, but it didn’t completely grab me.

East of West was a bit of let down. After a month’s delay, all I get is a wordless action sequence that ends on a punch line, that’s it? Well drawn, sure but still…

Plutona was a decent if slight story, with nice character work.

They’re Not Like Us was another quick but interesting read. Looks like battle lines are being drawn.

So that takes me to Paper Girls and Revival – both moved at a clip, were intense and offered a few revelations or resolutions. However, I think the characters in Paper are getting lost in the plot, while Seeley on Revival is managing to propel his mystery while still keeping his characters in the spotlight. And since I love character driven stories, Revival gets the nod from me this week.

BTW - the sneak peak for Matt Hawkins Symmetry (seen in the back of some of these books) looks pretty good. But what's become of Think Tank?
    Last edited by Doughy Man!; 12-04-2015 at 12:21 AM.
    “That’s right, I’m Doughy Man! Butter is my ally, steak does my bidding! Sour cream bows down before me in total abject terror!”

I appreciate the suggestions for good nude movie fights like East Of West just had. But I was kinda hoping for naked girls lol, not Jackie Chan and Viggo Mortisen. Just imagine the hallway fight from Daredevil season 1 with a topless girl instead of Daredevil. That's what I wish was in a movie. It would probably be considered sexist and be protested in any medium besides comics.

I really liked the puppets in Black Science this week - especially the mother's one - but the naked fight scene in East of West was so refreshing ! Just perfect for the eyes and the mind when you 're trying too much stuffs from Marvel these days. I want more !!!

(And I really like your last comment, Ragdoll)
    Last edited by Abe; 12-06-2015 at 08:39 AM.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Hi, this week, I voted for Paper Girls: Citizen Jack and Black Jack (Ketchem) are still in the too-new-to-know stage for me, with Citizen Jack still not yet going really political, which is my hope, and sort of skirting the House of Cards venality, though showing lots of potential, and Black Jack,while looking really good, and creating both interesting characters and an interesting 'world' of US-old west plus parallel worlds/dimensions, suffers detail-problems like Jack/not-Jack (he claims) mounting his horse from the wrong side (which situation is even more egregiously indulged in by the other new 'western' (which suffers from several more profound disabilities) Red Wolf. Otherwise, should Jack...Black Jack... continue its current quality, it'll surely get my vote next time around.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet