Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Default 2nd Annual Namor the Sub-Mariner Advent Calendar

I was wondering what I should do for the Namor 76th Anniversary Advent Calendar, and then I read James Robinson's interview today about Squadron Supreme, his justification' for Namor's murder, and the comment thread. Sadly, both were full of misinformation and vilification of Marvel's first superhero and most complex character.

So the theme for this year's calendar will be:

The Heroism of Prince Namor the Sub-Mariner, aka All the Times Namor Has Saved Those Ungrateful Airbreathers.

If you have a particular heroic Namor panel / scene, please feel free to post it!

If you'd like a more commercial Christmas thread, visit last year's Namor75 Advent Thread, where there was lots of Namor themed items posted one could collect.

Namor75-The-Advent-Calendar

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

24 Days to Christmas

So, let's address the erroneous claim of Namor using tidal waves countless times to wipe out airbreathers. From his Silver Age introduction in FF #4 to the late 1990s, I believe the correct count was ZERO times. In Marvels is the first time we see a Golden Age 1940s story where Namor used a tidal wave against NYC, brought retroactively into continuity.

So, until Hickman decided he needed to make Namor a Black Panther villain for his New Avengers book, and had a Phoenix possessed Namor flood Wakanda, the total times Namor used a tidal wave against a country was ONE.

Even if Robinson was not aware of this information, he should be aware of what he's written. From All New Invaders #7 in a WWII flashback ...

Apparently using tidal waves against airbreathers is A-OK and morally acceptable if the USA wants it done against THEIR enemies.

The US wants this mega tidal wave tested on some uninhabited Pacific islands. Except the Invaders discover ...

So, Namor's bloodthirsty villainous response?

Not only does Namor refuse to use a tidal wave against airbreathers, but he once again serves as a scapegoat for his team.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 02-06-2018 at 01:07 AM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I like that... Hi !

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I was wondering what I should do for the Namor 76th Anniversary Advent Calendar, and then I read James Robinson's interview today about Squadron Supreme, his justification' for Namor's murder, and the comment thread. Sadly, both were full of misinformation and vilification of Marvel's first superhero and most complex character.

So the theme for this year's calendar will be:

The Heroism of Prince Namor the Sub-Mariner, aka All the Times Namor Has Saved Those Ungrateful Airbreathers.
    I love this idea!! And I too was taken aback by Robinson's description of Namor. It was really confusing and seemed misinformed considering how he wrote him during All-New Invaders.
    Last edited by Of Atlantis; 12-02-2015 at 07:00 AM.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Who is the woman in yellow?

Niffleheim

Maybe it's Gwen Sabuki/Golden Girl. Not 100% sure thou.

Quote Originally Posted by N'Dare View Post
    Maybe it's Gwen Sabuki/Golden Girl. Not 100% sure thou.
    It is.

(10 chars)
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    I love this idea!! And I too was taken aback by Robinson's description of Namor. It was really confusing and seemed misinformed considering how he wrote him during All-New Invaders.
    Yeah, even with all that happened in Hickman's run, I don't agree with Robinson's interviews.

23 Days to Christmas

From Sub-Mariner #6, where the newly created Tiger Shark rampages in the ocean depths after thinking he's killed Namor with a ton of rubble. He then decides he's going to claim everything associated with Namor starting with Lady Dorma. Tiger Shark threatens Dorma, the Atlanteans, and tries to kill Warlord Seth to claim the throne.

Anyone one of these actions would have prompted swift retribution if not execution from a villain, or a ruthless ruler, which is how some modern writers (and Tiger Shark) seem to see Namor.

"For to Namor, no prize is worth the cost of a single human life."

Even Lady Dorma ? Such a great soul... what a Prince indeed !

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    Even Lady Dorma ? Such a great soul... what a Prince indeed !
    Well, if you know the how Lady Dorma died ...

From Sub-Mariner #34 and #35, where the Atlanteans have discovered the airbreathers are constructing a plant / device to experiment with weather control. That's right, EXPERIMENT. Chief Scientist Ikthon is pretty sure they are doing even that wrong. Namor is looking for allies to, as he says, "negotiate from a position of strength," and has fortunately found the Silver Surfer close by. Unfortunately, Namor doesn't explain the situation quickly enough, and a brawl ensues. But it ends long enough for Namor to explain...

22 Days to Christmas

They do recruit the Hulk, but being the "Hulk Smash!" version, he tries to smash the airbreathers before Namor and Surfer can do any 'negotiating.' Namor, however ....

The airbreathers don't believe Namor, but the strength of the Titans Three convinces them to leave the island and call for reinforcements ... The Avengers! Fortunately, before they arrive, the Atlanteans arrive, so Ikthon can test his theory. Unfortunately, the Avengers arrive before he can finish. Of course, a brawl ensues ... due to the Hulk.

Namor battles Goliath, but ...

Everyone calms down, and Chief Scientist Ikthon demonstrates the problem with using a nuclear device to attempt to control the weather. Yes, a NUCLEAR device for EXPERIMENTING with the weather.

And yes, I DID pick panels where Namor's naysayers admitted they judged him wrong. ; p

"I cannot -- I will not suffer so valiant a foe to perish!"

From Sub-Mariner #21, we have Namor trying to STOP an Atlantean invasion of the surface world. In a previous issue, where Namor saved the Earth (again) from ocean stealing space aliens, said aliens had removed his gills so that he could not live underwater. He was trapped on the surface world and as Lady Dorma explains ...

So, an event where the water of the oceans are getting sucked out into space, which would wipe out the Atlanteans immediately, and it's Namor doing???

Regardless, the Elders and the Warlords obviously say .... invade!

WTF, Lord Seth? Didn't you get Namor's message via Triton? (see above) Plus you are bringing along Atlantis' nuke, the Horn of Proteus?? This highlights something about those alleged Atlantean invasions -- they often aren't exactly Namor's idea.

And yes, I know I'm behind a few days. : ( Will hopefully catch up tonite.

21 Days to Christmas

Namor is even wondering if he's going to be fighting for the airbreathers!

Stopping the tank from starting a war, but without killing the airbreathers inside. Namor is such a villain! ; p

Through another misunderstanding, Lady Dorma's flag ship gets blown up and everyone thinks she's dead, including Lord Seth, who in his grief for a woman he secretly loves, uses the Horn of Proteus to bring down his vengeance on the airbreathers.

Namor is obviously on the side of peace and no killing, as he saves the US Navy ship from giant sea turtles.

"There must be no killing ... by man or beast!"