Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

Loving this thread! It's an awesome Christmas present

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    Loving this thread! It's an awesome Christmas present
    Thank you, Mantis Girl! I'm glad you are enjoying it. I wanted to recreate the fun I had as a kid, going to the advent calendar and finding a little treat, as Christmas got a day closer. I'm working on that "daily" part. ;p
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Moving on to something more modern, from Sub-Mariner Revolution, which took place after Civil War. In that event, it was revealed that Atlantis had spies and sleeper cells in the US -- which is apparently okay for any surface nations, but totally unacceptable for underwater nations. ; p

Unfortunately, Namor has an Atlantean faction who want his job, and they've got an unauthorized sleeper cell that blows up a small town in Kansas, leaving evidence that points to Atlantis. When Namor hears of this, he confronts his Council ...

Needless to say, the Council and the Atlanteans aren't being portrayed as good hearted as they were back in Subby #6, but as willing to go to war as they were Subby #21.

Tony Stark, representing SHIELD, the military, and the government, decide the only solution is to lay siege to Atlantis ... which is a huge upgrade for SHIELD, which apparently now have a big navy, and even bigger hubris.

The rest of the mini-series, Namor tracks down his rogue Atlantean terrorists and brings them to Atlantis in a thoroughly ruthless fashion, despite being abandoned by his so-called allies, and saves a skyscraper full of airbreathers and again avoid a war.

Last edited by Reviresco; 12-08-2015 at 02:32 AM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

20 Days to Christmas

Even Stark admits that Namor took care of business and saved airbreathers to his bosses, but he won't stop escalating the situation to war with Atlantis. Instead, it is Namor who wants to avoid war, who sees the big picture, and who makes the huge sacrifices.

And the mini-series ends with Namor executing Nitro and the terrorist and destroying his city, scattering his people across the globe to avoid a devastating war that could destroy the seas and thus the planet.

"Then even in victory, what would we be left with?"

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Thank you, Mantis Girl! I'm glad you are enjoying it. I wanted to recreate the fun I had as a kid, going to the advent calendar and finding a little treat, as Christmas got a day closer. I'm working on that "daily" part. ;p
    And the one you did last year is still wonderful... Among so many wonderful "little treat" this gorgeous piece of art, Reviresco, is amazing :

I saw Sonia Harris Superhero Snowflakes here on CBR and was inspired to make my own Sub-Mariner Snowflake! Mine has six, not four, spines, but I did manage to cut it out using mostly scissors. I only used an exacto blade (actually a box cutter) for his Highness' eyes and eyebrows -- which you could do without, since I think Prince Namor has a distinctive head.

Sonia Harris' Superhero Snowflakes: http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...ro-snowflakes/
    Rev, you're a genius indeed... More to see if you use a Time Machine !... (I'm seriously thinking about doing a Doom Snowflake... But the Master doesn't have anything like a trident ! No little wings either... Namor fans are so lucky...)

Of course, the concept for your 2nd Advent Calendar is just perfect.
    Last edited by Abe; 12-07-2015 at 08:34 PM.

From Fantastic Four #147 and #149, Susan Richards leaves Reed after he puts Franklin in a coma to keep his powers getting out of world breaking control. While she's visiting a friend, Namor shows up and whisks her away. The FF think she's been kidnapped so they go to Atlantis and a brawl errupts, which ends with this announcement.

The FF goes home, without Sue, but an issue later, Namor and Sue show up in NYC with an army of kaiju, bent on revenge!

Doesn't sound very heroic of Namor at all, but keep reading ...
    Last edited by Reviresco; 12-07-2015 at 10:23 PM.

19 Days to Christmas

Namor (and Sue) are relentless in listing Reed's faults and punishing him ... and Reed seems to take it to heart.

But Ben Grimm questions Sue's heart, and seeing Reed and Namor ...

Still not very heroic of Namor, but then there's the final page reveal ...

This issue say quite a bit about Namor and his abilities, and his compassion, as well as how others perceive him -- something he remarks upon to Thundra in the issue. And none of it is villainous.

Also, it really makes one question Black Bolt's choice to assassinate Namor. So much for old friends.

"None of them suspected it was all an act on my part -- that I never intended to destroy New York or invade the surface world."
    Last edited by Reviresco; 12-08-2015 at 02:34 AM.

At least the US Navy recognized Namor as a hero.

And Namor recognized the real heroes, the men who perished at Pearl Harbor, 74 years ago today.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    And the one you did last year is still wonderful... Among so many wonderful "little treat" this gorgeous piece of art, Reviresco, is amazing :

Rev, you're a genius indeed... More to see if you use a Time Machine !... (I'm seriously thinking about doing a Doom Snowflake... But the Master doesn't have anything like a trident ! No little wings either... Namor fans are so lucky...)

Of course, the concept for your 2nd Advent Calendar is just perfect.
    Thank you, Abe! You are too kind. I'm glad you enjoyed last year's advent calendar too. That was more Christmassy, but I think this was an overdue project.

I just found that snowflake in my Christmas stuff! I'm definitely going to do it again ... maybe come up with another design. They are fun! So, yes! You should definitely do one of Dr. Doom! His mask should be be pretty cool ... and maybe a castle?

Thank you, Abe! You are too kind. I'm glad you enjoyed last year's advent calendar too. That was more Christmassy, but I think this was an overdue project.

I just found that snowflake in my Christmas stuff! I'm definitely going to do it again ... maybe come up with another design. They are fun! So, yes! You should definitely do one of Dr. Doom! His mask should be be pretty cool ... and maybe a castle?
    A castle ! Of course !... I need to think about something Gypsy too... And thanks for the scans of FF 147-149 ! One of my first Namor story... So good ! And Giganto as a little treat for Christmas : that's the cutest idea ever !!!

A castle ! Of course !... I need to think about something Gypsy too... And thanks for the scans of FF 147-149 ! One of my first Namor story... So good ! And Giganto as a little treat for Christmas : that's the cutest idea ever !!!
    Hmmmm. Gypsy and magic and a musical note, perhaps?

It's one my early Namor experiences also! OMG. I just had this image of Namor trying to explain to Giganto NOT to really rampage, just ACT like he's rampaging. Giganto gives him the confused puppy look. LOL!

Oh no ... another thought ... I could make a kajiu Namor snowflake!!!

An Atlas/Marvel Kaiju Appreciation Thread is really needed... My collection is growing.... Yesterday I got this - because of the cover :

It's was out for Christmas 1970... The artist on the cover reminded me something but I didn't open it : cheap back issue with giant octopus ? It wasn't needed... Back home I finally did it and... Christmas in advance ! Just click to see what was inside really... Wow !

And now I will get out of the shelves the FF issues... Giganto's confused puppy look ? Nooooo ! Really ? It could fit a Kaiju Advent Calender !.. If I'll do it it's gonna be in 2016... and I will have to think about it all year... Mmmmmm....
    Last edited by Abe; 12-08-2015 at 02:40 AM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

This is another cool Namor thread! Now I want to do a 12 Days of Santa Doom one! But I have to research some stuff first.

An Atlas/Marvel Kaiju Appreciation Thread is really needed... My collection is growing.... Yesterday I got this - because of the cover :

It's was out for Christmas 1970... The artist on the cover reminded me something but I didn't open it : cheap back issue with giant octopus ? It wasn't needed... Back home I finally did it and... Christmas in advance ! Just click to see what was inside really... Wow !

And now I will get out of the shelves the FF issues... Giganto's confused puppy look ? Nooooo ! Really ? It could fit a Kaiju Advent Calender !.. I I'll do it it's gonna be in 2016... and I will have to think about it all year... Mmmmmm....
    LOL! I said the same thing last year, after Christmas, and here I am at the end of this year, trying to pull it together. But you could definitely do a Marvel Atlas Kaiju calendar. There's a lot of them, and most, including me, aren't that familiar with them.

Of course, Kirby! Great find! You'll have to let us know about the similarities / resonance with FF. Hmmm. I didn't know Roz helped him with his art.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    This is another cool Namor thread! Now I want to do a 12 Days of Santa Doom one! But I have to research some stuff first.
    You should totally do one with Doom! It would be a great treat to find a daily dose of Doom!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I'm coming up with some ideas for the 12 ideas that keep in the rhythm of the song....you know 10 Lords a Leaping hey I might actually have a use for that one. I have a few jotted down but I am open to suggestions if any one wants to send me a PM. I have a specific one for Namor I'm working on but when your PM box is free I'll write you about it.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-08-2015 at 03:12 AM.