Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

From Avengers #292 and #293, we have Namor once again making a huge sacrifice to save others. His wife Marrina, a Plodex, has been transformed into her giant killer monster aspect and has been wrecking havoc on ships and the coastal areas. The Navy is sent after her, and despite Namor warning them of the dangers and warning them to leave, Leviathan Marrina destroys the ships. Namor does not leave the airbreathers to their fate ...

He surveys Leviathan Marrina's work and comes to an awful realization.

Last edited by Reviresco; 12-21-2015 at 04:22 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

5 Days to Christmas

Namor goes to the Avengers ...

Thor again sees the true mettle of the Sub-Mariner -- which we don't see nowadays, since he's bromancing with Hyperion. The cure they got from Hank Pym is temporary and Marrina quickly turns into Leviathan again. The Black Knight decides the only solution is to kill Leviathan Marrina with his Ebony Blade, even though it will mean he invokes its curse. Namor, however, has made promises ...

"Though I am no longer a monarch, am I not a guardian of Earth and its mortal inhabitants?"
    Last edited by Reviresco; 12-21-2015 at 04:22 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Tough reading... They published Alpha-Flight in France the month I turned 11 - a bit more than year after the US publishing. And I fell in love with Marrina quite instantly. Of course years - decades? - later I've heard of the Leviathan story but never read it or seen any panel... This is horribly sad. And Namor is so noble and tragic... Now I don't wanna read the story of Lady Dorma... Heart broken...

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    Tough reading... They published Alpha-Flight in France the month I turned 11 - a bit more than year after the US publishing. And I fell in love with Marrina quite instantly. Of course years - decades? - later I've heard of the Leviathan story but never read it or seen any panel... This is horribly sad. And Namor is so noble and tragic... Now I don't wanna read the story of Lady Dorma... Heart broken...
    It was sad, and Simonson went very ... melodramatic Namor for the story. It was different from the other tragic deaths in Namor's life, as they were more active, and trying to save Namor.

The NuMarrina is quite different -- but unfortunately, they didn't want to mention anything to do with Namor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    I really miss stories like this.
    I do too! Looking at the older stuff for this thread has made me realize just how different the comics are.

maybe killing his wife will be another reason by the h8rs to justify the SS's actions? :P
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Quote Originally Posted by dzub View Post
    maybe killing his wife will be another reason by the h8rs to justify the SS's actions? :P
    Now, dzub, you know h8rs don't need reasons.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

The characters come over as more likeable in the older stories, I think. The style for a long time has been to have heroes vs heroes, snarkiness, and constant antagonism. After a while you wonder why you're invested in them at all. Maybe the writers took more care not to damage their creations?

I like Thor's speech in this panel. The right voice, and full of sadness and care.

image.jpg
    "Self has no time for this."

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post
    The characters come over as more likeable in the older stories, I think. The style for a long time has been to have heroes vs heroes, snarkiness, and constant antagonism. After a while you wonder why you're invested in them at all. Maybe the writers took more care not to damage their creations?

I like Thor's speech in this panel. The right voice, and full of sadness and care.

image.jpg
    Well, it IS Walt Simonson writing that Thor.

And yes, I agree. The characters were more likeable, and the fights were misunderstanding, not constant antagonism. And of course, Namor has always been a bit of snark, so when everyone is upped their snark, Namor's is even more upped. Though, in the older stories, with thought bubbles, Namor's attitude is given context.

Wasn't it issue #37? Lyra, did the nasty job,no? Suffocated her.

RIP Lady Dorma

Quote Originally Posted by Custodes View Post
    Wasn't it issue #37? Lyra, did the nasty job,no? Suffocated her.

RIP Lady Dorma
    That is a big spoiler!... I'll wait till I forget it to even think about getting these issues then... It won't take that much time anyway. Brain is melting...

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Well, it IS Walt Simonson writing that Thor.

And yes, I agree. The characters were more likeable, and the fights were misunderstanding, not constant antagonism. And of course, Namor has always been a bit of snark, so when everyone is upped their snark, Namor's is even more upped. Though, in the older stories, with thought bubbles, Namor's attitude is given context.
    I really do miss how the older stories were written so well. Modern comics have a very "Less is more" approach i feel is not always true. Often feels like I finish too fast and don't get my money's worth.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

That is a big spoiler!... I'll wait till I forget it to even think about getting these issues then... It won't take that much time anyway. Brain is melting...
    Ops....sorry....I won't discuss the ending to The Planet of The Apes with you either. It was 48 years ago but, I got yelled at recently. ;-) I thought everyone knew!

Quote Originally Posted by Custodes View Post
    Ops....sorry....I won't discuss the ending to The Planet of The Apes with you either. It was 48 years ago but, I got yelled at recently. ;-) I thought everyone knew!
    You makes me think about this nice 1975 cover (from a very pleasant Charlton series drawn by Byrne) :

The world without Namor to take care of it, I mean of both the surface and the sea...

"You finally really did it. You maniacs! You **** ** **!
    God damn you! God damn you all to hell!"

...You killed the Sovereign of the Seven Seas...
    Last edited by Abe; 12-22-2015 at 08:31 AM.

^Great cover Abe. I was a big Byrne fan then. I love Charlton too.

Also, similar to the cover of Kamandi #1 by Kirby.

PS: Only five days 'til Christmas....December 22nd. The days are getting longer finally.
    Last edited by Custodes; 12-22-2015 at 09:00 AM.