Amazing Member

Default Favorite Mignolaverse artists

I'm quite curious to see what are people's favorite artists. Is it still the original ones, like Mignola himself or even Guy Davis? Have newer artist took their place for you?

For me, it hasn't changed much. There's been some great artists in the last few years but Mignola and Davis are still king.

I really liked Tyler Crook but it bugged me that he couldn't draw more than 5 issues a year, especially after Guy Davis had been the sole BPRD artist for year. And now he seems to be mostly gone?

I love Tonči Zonjić on the Lobster. Sure, just like Crook he can't do more than 5 issues a year but here it doesn't matter since the book isn't a monthly series. If he goes on like this for 5 or 6 more series, he might end up up there with the two big ones one day.

Richard Corben is the only other artist I don't mind drawing Hellboy outside of Mignola. He'd be up there too if it wasn't that he hasn't draw that many stories in the first place.

I think Duncan Fegredo is a wonderful artist but I just think he should have been put on something else than Hellboy.

And I quite like Ben Stenbeck but I care very little for Baltimore. I did love his Frankenstein, though and I wish he'd do more Mignolaverse.

What are yours?
    Last edited by fred25_ca; 12-02-2015 at 09:24 AM.

Fegredo, Stenbeck, and Harren are probably my favorites of the current rotation. . Mignola of course too, but I think that goes without saying for everyone here. Was a big fan of Davis as well. Would love to see him come back for even just a short. An epilogue for Hell of Earth maybe?

I like Crook, but when he draws eyes as just the pupils I find it distracting. Especially during his first arc. It seemed to tone down with time though, and the rest of his stuff I like.

I guess I could just keep going, but basically they've had an amazing run of artists on these books, and I've pretty much loved them all.

Quote Originally Posted by fred25_ca View Post
    I think Duncan Fegredo is a wonderful artist but I just think he should have been put on something else than Hellboy.
    I couldn't disagree with this more. If anyone other than Mignola was going to draw the main Hellboy book, I'm glad it was him. He kept the tone and spirit of Mignola's work, but didn't outright ape Mignola. I thought he did the best possible job, considering it was an impossible task. The book barely skipped a beat when he took over.

Originally it was going to be Maleev, I think. I loved his work on 1952, but I'm glad he didn't take over the main book at the time.

Here are some of my favorites:

Hellboy - Mike Mignola, Duncan Fegredo
    B.P.R.D. - Guy Davis, James Harren, Laurence Campbell, Tyler Crook, Gabriel Bá, Fábio Moon
    Abe Sapien - Max Fiumara, Sebasitan Fiumara

The Claw of Justice!

Tonci Zonjic is my favorite artist of all time, and Mike Mignola is probably tied with Stan Sakai at #2. Guy Davis and Ben Stenbeck are also among my very favorites, and I really miss Stenbeck's work on Baltimore (although Peter Bergting is good, too). Tyler Crook and James Harren are also excellent, although I don't mind their absences from BPRD because of how great their creator-owned stuff is. In fact, I would say that I prefer Crook's Harrow County work to his BPRD (those watercolors are amazing!). Duncan Fegredo is great (I love his Hellboy work), but I haven't seen much of his stuff outside of the Mignolaverse.

There are also quite a few Mignolaverse artists whose work I quite like, although they aren't among my all-time favorites. Sebastian and Max Fiumara, Richard Corben, Kevin Nowlan, Peter Bergting, and probably quite a few more that I'm forgetting are all very good, but not to the level of Zonjic, Mignola, and Davis (in my opinion).

I was actually introduced to almost all of my favorite artists' work through the Mignola books.

Edit: I forgot about Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon. They're both great artists, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I couldn't disagree with this more. If anyone other than Mignola was going to draw the main Hellboy book, I'm glad it was him. He kept the tone and spirit of Mignola's work, but didn't outright ape Mignola. I thought he did the best possible job, considering it was an impossible task. The book barely skipped a beat when he took over.

Originally it was going to be Maleev, I think. I loved his work on 1952, but I'm glad he didn't take over the main book at the time.
    Actually it was going to be Lee Bermejo. I honestly think Duncan Fegredo did a splendid job with Hellboy. He's my second favourite artist to draw the character, and he guided the series through a massively important series' transition.

So that's the first guy on my list. I always want to see Duncan Fegredo drawing more Hellboy.

Obviously, Mike Mignola is at the top of my list of Mignolaverse artists. How could he not be?

Guy Davis did incredible things on B.P.R.D., drawing many of my all-time favourite stories, including the one that made Kate Corrigan my favourite character.

Tonci Zonjic working on Lobster Johnson could not be more perfect, although I think he could make any book his own.

I loved Max Fiumara right from The Transformation of J.H. O'Donnell, but he's getting better and better all the time. He's insanely good at acting through his characters' hands.

I liked Tyler Crook on B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth, but it was Witchfinder where he really blew me away. He's busy with Harrow County now, but I'm sure he'll be back for a few smaller projects down the road.

James Harren did amazing work on B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth. The Prospect Park sequence in The Reign of the Black Flame is one of my favourite moments in the comics.

Fábio Moon and Gabriel Bá are amazing, especially when they're given the space to be silent. The opening of Vampire is a favourite sequence of mine, and I hope to see more like that in its sequel.

I'm so glad Cameron Stewart will be doing more Ashley Strode early next year. He condenses a lot of story on his pages. The guy is so right for the comics medium. He intimately understands the power of storytelling through images.

And Ben Stenbeck is always good, but I got a real kick out of him drawing Hellboy and Bruttenholm in the 1953 short stories.

Truth is, they put amazing artists on these books, and this could very easily become a list of everyone.

The Claw of Justice!

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    I liked Tyler Crook on B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth, but it was Witchfinder where he really blew me away. He's busy with Harrow County now, but I'm sure he'll be back for a few smaller projects down the road.
    I forgot about his run on Witchfinder. His art really fits that title. Someday I'd like to see him do a Mignolaverse story in the watercolor style of Harrow County.

BPRD is my favourite comics in the Mignolaverse and Guy Davis is by far my favourite artist. His Marquis is also great. Very sad that he is not doing comics these days.

In the post-Guy Davis era the honour goes to James Harren. He does the most energetic and exciting action scenes. Ever since I read his Conan arc I am in love with his art.

I also really enjoy Ben Stenbeck's art. His run on Baltimore was fantastic. Have yet to read Frankenstein Underground.
    Current favourites: BPRD, Baltimore, Deadly Class, Zero, Prophet, Lazarus, East of West, MindMGMT

Fantastic Member

Mignola for all the obvious reasons.

Harren if we're looking outside of the main man. His work is the stuff that is most affecting. Flesh and Stone? Come on. Nobody does sadness or barbarism like Mr. Harren.

Almost everyone. Mignola is obviously favorite and pioneer in my eyes and Davis is unbelievably amazing. And hello!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alise View Post
    Almost everyone. Mignola is obviously favorite and pioneer in my eyes and Davis is unbelievably amazing. And hello!
    Same here, Hi Alise and welcome to the Forum. Your work on the Abe issue was fantastic by the way, Hope you get to do more in the future.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post

Well, I don't entirely disagree. Like I said, I think he's an incredible artist. And yes at the time, Mignola had put himself in a corner where he had to tell this gigantic 20 issues or so story and he just wasn't fast enough to draw it. It also, imo, wasn't the most interesting story and felt too much like a story we'd seen a thousand times before and i'm pretty sure Mignola felt trapped. So I understand why Mignola had to get someone else and Duncan did an amazing job. But for me, Hellboy is Mignola art, it's that simple. You lose Mignola, you lose my reason for reading it in the first place. So yes, it was an impossible task. :P

And it's crazy how the mignolaverse is such a pool of great artists. Sure, the comics don't sell as well as marvel or dc but man, they are so much better!
    Last edited by fred25_ca; 12-03-2015 at 05:33 AM.

The Claw of Justice!

Quote Originally Posted by Alise View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

Quote Originally Posted by highlandhellboy View Post
    Same here, Hi Alise and welcome to the Forum. Your work on the Abe issue was fantastic by the way, Hope you get to do more in the future.
    Thank you so much and I hope so too!

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterJohnson View Post
    Welcome to the forums!
    Thank you!