Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Entertainment Weekly's Insulting Black Panther Cover Shows There's Still a Long Way to Go

The first Black superhero in mainstream American comics got introduced to the public with a "meow" and "Real Housewives" reference, and that's not OK.

Full article here.

Agreed, but prepare for comments lashing out at y'all. Here and especially on social media.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

I fully agree with this article.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

I was goign to make fun of this, but I actually agree with you. This is kind of a stupid thing to do.
    Cyclops was right

BANNED

People are really this offended by "meow"? Why am I not surprised. And yet they'll be silent when the same amount of "disrespect" is in the movie as they praise Marvel's light hearted comedy and irreverence. Like how they have been treating Black Widow's character.
    Last edited by Diana; 12-02-2015 at 01:22 PM.

BANNED

While this article is on point, the MCU has always reduced everything to light-hearted quipping, so I don't get why this would be any different.

All-New Member

Why don't you read the article posted before getting all pissy about a stupid joke?

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/02...rica-civil-war

All-New Member

It's just a cover. Get over it. This is like the Starbucks Christmas cup all over again.

Thanks for letting me know what I was supposed to be offended by today, Albert Ching.
    Team Photo & Silver Surfer Flash Mob

SHSO Name: Gallant Centurion Spy

CBR/SHSO Player Directory

If you want your squad name added to the CBR/SHSO player directory or our wiki let me know!

Firm Militant Judgement.. Moose100's Avatar

Whoa! Well said and honestly I didnt expect this!!
    U just mad cuz I'm stylin' on ya'
    Militant Anti-Villain
    I'm out here looking for revenge!!
    Spit Dat Kurt Vonnegut...
    The Ghost Militant...
    Black Panther on one shoulder Nighthawk on the other!!!
    Cognitive Dissonance Disseminator

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Who has a long way to go, and where are they going? I didn't get the insult I anticipated, and now I wonder whether or not the article provided any more fuel to this since it wasn't mentioned.

EDIT: thanks for the article link, stavros. If it's the same as what saw print, I just don't see it. Ironic considering how it opens up.

I don't think this is nearly as harmful as the article is purporting it to be. Would I have added the jokes? No, but that's because I read comic books and I understand the gravitas that comes with Black Panther's presence. Maybe the writer didn't know? Maybe the writer didn't think it mattered? At the end of the day, people will still see the movie, and when they see what a strong character Black Panther really is, it might come to them as a pleasant surprise. Now, if the writing in the movie fails to hold up, then I would have an issue with it.

I see the guys at the Outrage Factory are getting overtime this week.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Emma's Midriff View Post
    While this article is on point, the MCU has always reduced everything to light-hearted quipping, so I don't get why this would be any different.
    Really it be one thing if they did it for all marvel characters....heck if they did it for everyone on the cover but no its Exclusive to Black Panther but what do I expect from an X-men Fan......

Racism pure and simple...it be funny for deadpool because the character is suppose to be funny.

Incredible Member Jonah Weiland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    Agreed, but prepare for comments lashing out at y'all. Here and especially on social media.
    We are and thank you.

To anyone else in this thread who gets personally insulting towards a CBR employee will be banned. You are welcome to have a differing opinion, but state it in an intelligent and thoughtful way. This is an inclusive forum and if you don't like it, get out.
    -- Jonah Weiland
    -- Just Another Comic Book Fan
    Tweets | Webs
    | 'grams