Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
    As far as I've heard, Austin is a pretty progressive city. Texas is not uniformly populated by Republicans. In fact, the state may turn Democrat in the next decades, because of latino immigration.

---

Anyway, great first issue. I love the artwork and the characterizations are great. Definitely the best X-Book out there right now.
    Texas' big cities are progressive. Everything else is... typical Texas.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    Or is she just wandering around the world telling people, "You're gay... and you're gay... bisexual...definitely straight!... stop eating chocolate ice cream, you know you prefer strawberry...."
    This is brilliant. This is exactly what they should've had Jean doing.

Just with this first issue I like where Hopeless is taking this series, mainly that its a lot of fun. Don't get me wrong I like Extraordinary X-men but it is nowhere near as fun as this where we just saw most of the group just enjoying themselves, my favorite being Evan alligator wrestling and Iceman icesculpting. The inside of the trailer was cool as well. I have a feeling that things are going to be tough on Scott with everything that happened to his adult version, who I really hope isn't actually dead and we get some idea what happened in the time jump, but hopefully things will get better for him in the future.

Overall, a good start and I can't wait for the second issue.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Fantastic Member

My guess as far as the ANXM not helping out with X-Haven/EXM activity is that since mutants are apparently hated more than before and associated with the "M-Pox", what they're doing is doubling as a mobile PR campaign for mutants. I'm pretty sure a crossover event would draw them back in easily. It's also possible that the two groups aren't on each others' radar yet, or that there was a mystery falling-out that occurred in the 8 month gap.

Fantastic Member TheForbiddenOne's Avatar

People weren't kidding when they said this issue was really good. Most fun I've had reading a comic in a while. I've had low expectations for EXM and ANXM now and they both surprised me. I hope my high expectations for Uncanny isn't flipped on me.

Great issue, probably the best I've seen from Hopeless. He is really has a very versatile tone apparently, writing broody books like CXF and Avengers Arena and then something much lighter like this. I had said Extraordinary X-men reminds me of a Friday night cartoon but this is very much something I would liked to watch everyday. I thought the slower methodical tone of EXM was great but mvoing quickly like this is a lot of fun as well. The villains are even likable, which is always a big plus. Really looking forward to the next issue.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    The inside of the trailer was cool as well.
    I don't know if you guys know Loaded Weapon which is kinda the comedy version of Lethal Weapon but this scene reminded me so much about a similar scene in that movie where they are standing in front of a shabby trailer and then the step inside and they are basically standing in a mansion. Just loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheForbiddenOne View Post
    I hope my high expectations for Uncanny isn't flipped on me.
    I think that will honestly depend on what you think about Greg Land as an artist. After the Magneto solo I trust in Cullen Bunn to make a book where Magneto is the leader work but the writing is just half of the equation when it comes to a comic book.

AJpyro asked this a few days ago. ANXM is indeed double shipping this month. Comixology has the next issue scheduled for December 16th
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    I don't know if you guys know Loaded Weapon which is kinda the comedy version of Lethal Weapon but this scene reminded me so much about a similar scene in that movie where they are standing in front of a shabby trailer and then the step inside and they are basically standing in a mansion. Just loved it.

I think that will honestly depend on what you think about Greg Land as an artist. After the Magneto solo I trust in Cullen Bunn to make a book where Magneto is the leader work but the writing is just half of the equation when it comes to a comic book.

AJpyro asked this a few days ago. ANXM is indeed double shipping this month. Comixology has the next issue scheduled for December 16th
    I'm not crazy about his art but he worked with Kieron Gillen on UXM and I loved that comic book very much.

Not perfect, but fun, enjoyable issue. The skiing scene was very clunky (although that basically sums up the entire Warren/Laura relationship), but I have to say, all I ever hear is that Laura sounds off. She has sounded off, it often seems, for the last 3 or 4 years that I have paid close attention to comics. I think at some point, Laura fans, you are going to have to accept that this is the way she is written now, whether you like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    An inferior Cerebro because they couldn't be bothered to ask Rachel or Emma to help after Tean abandoned her friends.
    LOL it says a lot about Rachel, that even her biggest cheerleaders wouldn't consider hanging out with a bunch of kids quite a few years her junior to be demeaning for her. Might I suggest, however, that Martha Johansson would be a better candidate for team psychic, seeing as she is a) liked in-universe and b) canonically stronger.
    Last edited by shgs; 12-03-2015 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shgs View Post
    I think at some point, Laura fans, you are going to have to accept that this is the way she is written now, whether you like it or not.
    Nobody has a problem with that(ok some people do). The problem is that Taylor has done the exact same thing better in All-New Wolverine. Laura sounds way better and even the Laura/Warren relationship is just handled better. It's actually enjoyable.
    This discrepancy is the problem. ANW is obviously a Laura solo book so it should be on Hopeless to do the thing that Taylor has done and actually sell this ship if he wants it be part of the book which he obviously wants considering how the issue started.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Nobody has a problem with that(ok some people do). The problem is that Taylor has done the exact same thing better in All-New Wolverine. Laura sounds way better and even the Laura/Warren relationship is just handled better. It's actually enjoyable.
    This discrepancy is the problem. ANW is obviously a Laura solo book so it should be on Hopeless to do the thing that Taylor has done and actually sell this ship if he wants it be part of the book which he obviously wants considering how the issue started.
    ANXM is the bigger book. I think its Taylor's job to follow Hopeless actually.

BANNED

ANW established Laura as Wolverine, not ANXM, so Taylor is the one who ought to be in the driver's seat on her characterization.

Like I said, I agree that whole scene with Laura and Warren was clunky, although I suspect it might even be Hopeless struggling with the romance - I seem to remember finding Colossus and Domino a bit forced, and it wasn't a great pairing to begin with. I definitely get a sense, though, that nothing (well, more realistically, very little) is accepted by Laura's fans. Perhaps I am being unfair in singling Laura fans out here, but there are a lot of you so its very noticeable!

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

The romance is whatever. I didn't like how Laura wad written in ANXM.
    X-Men Forever

A. No, the person focusing on the single character should be given greater precedence over the one dividing their attention writing an ensemble.

B. All new wolverine got a double length first issue and is one of only 2 X-Men affiliated solo books, so what makes you think they consider this the bigger of the two?
    Last edited by Nazrel; 12-03-2015 at 03:11 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    A. No, the person focusing on the single character should be given greater precedence over the one dividing their attention writing an ensemble.

B. All new wolverine got a double length first issue and is one of only 2 X-Men solo books, so what makes you think they consider this the bigger of the two?
    I have to agree with ForbiddenOne. Taylor should be following Hopeless who seems to have a better grasp on the character. In ANW, Laura sounds like a cross between your generic American teenage girl and Michelle Rodriguez in Girl Fight. She has hardly any semblance to the character which captured my attention and admiration 7 years ago. And I am not going to castigate Hopeless for his scene between Laura and Warren when Taylor has Warren patting her on the head and talking valley girl speak.