Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    I have to agree with ForbiddenOne. Taylor should be following Hopeless who seems to have a better grasp on the character. In ANW, Laura sounds like a cross between your generic American teenage girl and Michelle Rodriguez in Girl Fight. She has hardly any semblance to the character which captured my attention and admiration 7 years ago. And I am not going to castigate Hopeless for his scene between Laura and Warren when Taylor has Warren patting her on the head and talking valley girl speak.
    Sorry, but I don't see it that way at all. Taylor's Laura is the best her voice has been written in a LONG time, and strikes a good balance between her more reserved and formal depictions while being more open and comfortable with people. Bendis CLAIMED he was writing a character who has been changing and evolving with her experiences. Taylor is actually DEMONSTRATING it.

And I sure as HELL didn't read ANYTHING in Taylor's book that sounded even the least bit "Valley Girl."

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    I have to agree with ForbiddenOne. Taylor should be following Hopeless who seems to have a better grasp on the character. In ANW, Laura sounds like a cross between your generic American teenage girl and Michelle Rodriguez in Girl Fight. She has hardly any semblance to the character which captured my attention and admiration 7 years ago. And I am not going to castigate Hopeless for his scene between Laura and Warren when Taylor has Warren patting her on the head and talking valley girl speak.
    You don't agree with ForbiddenOne; agreeing with ForbiddenOne means that you agree that the popularity of a works takes precedence in regards to characterization regardless of the focus on the character; which would mean that in the event of All New Wolverine being the more popular you also think hopeless should start attempting to duplicate Taylor's characterization, which you clearly do not.

You just don't like Taylor's characterization, which as far as I can tell is based on you projecting things onto it that aren't there.

A solo matters more because they're their story; if I thought Taylor was writing her unrecognizably out of character, I wouldn't care how hopeless was writing her because she'd be dead to me.

I loved the first issue, I thought the pacing was fine and we got to see the entire team in the first issue.

CBR gave it a 2.5 rating...I feel like they've been harsher on the x-books rating wise, I know some people don't like the direction the series is taking atm but the books are still good reads imo. I'm reading other Marvel books as well and I don't think they're significantly better.

Taylor's X-23 is probably the X-23 I've always wanted, but never got.

Tbh her portrayal in ANXM, while unsavory to me, seems more in line with her characterization in the past than Taylor's.

Fantastic Member TheForbiddenOne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    You don't agree with ForbiddenOne; agreeing with ForbiddenOne means that you agree that the popularity of a works takes precedence in regards to characterization regardless of the focus on the character; which would mean that in the event of All New Wolverine being the more popular you also think hopeless should start attempting to duplicate Taylor's characterization, which you clearly do not.

You just don't like Taylor's characterization, which as far as I can tell is based on you projecting things onto it that aren't there.

A solo matters more because they're their story; if I thought Taylor was writing her unrecognizably out of character, I wouldn't care how hopeless was writing her because she'd be dead to me.
    do not speak to what agreeing with me would mean. In terms of being the bigger book i'm not talking about popularity, I'm taking about implied influence. Anxm is one of the three flagship x books so in a very practical way it matters more than Laura's book does

That being said you do make a fair point and I was probably being biased since I have no intention of reading all new Wolverine. In any case I like this Laura so far and hope she doesn't change.

Quote Originally Posted by ou·tré View Post
    Taylor's X-23 is probably the X-23 I've always wanted, but never got.

Tbh her portrayal in ANXM, while unsavory to me, seems more in line with her characterization in the past than Taylor's.
    More in line with past characterization basically means Bendis and nothing else. Because what I read in both ANXM volumes so far had nothing to do with what previous writers did before that.
    If you think otherwise then you better stop that before that makes me all stabby. See what I did there? If not read the skiing scene again.

It's good that Hopeless shows some signs that he acknowledges what the previous writer did on the book. That's how it normally should be. It just sucks when the previous writer didn't do the same. Which is just ironic in this case since Bendis took over from Hopeless actually and doing a butch job in the process. Im still waiting to this day for any kind of explanation on how she ended up in streets of Miami after the ending of Avengers Arena. That's why Hopeless should have ability to discern what is worth continuing and what is rubbish.

If Laura would be written like this in ANW the reception would have been way less well received. It's trying way too hard. Speaking about that there is no reason for Angel to call her who is standing right next to him "the Wolverine" when he refers to anyone else with his real name in his phone call with Beast. It's awkward and not in a cute way.

And Mia you sure you are not mixing up the two books? Because otherwise your post doesn't make much sense to me.
    "This is me being reasonable"

BANNED

As usual, everything besides the Larren interaction if good.

It's the only thing that feels forced. Hopeless, just break them up already. We all saw how much better ANW #2 was when Teengel was nowhere to be found.

BANNED

Also, I get people like the lighter tone...but mutants are being killed, and sterilized, everyday...that has to be noticed by the ANXM at some point....right?

Fantastic Member True Believer Tony's Avatar

While I'm glad to see Laura happy and it could be contributed to character growth and being with Warren, writers need to be careful because when you remove a character's defining traits, they run the risk of coming across generic. I think Taylor has struck a great balance between her old personality and new in All-New Wolverine and I trust Hopeless enough to believe he'll do the same. As it stands though, that opening scene with Warren didn't sell me. She sounded like Jean.
    Twitter: @TonyBWood

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    The romance is whatever. I didn't like how Laura wad written in ANXM.
    They should end it. I very much doubt that Hopeless, or Taylor, would care if the other broke them up. It seems to hold back both characters; especially Laura.

She needs to be with someone who isn't clingy, and gives her space. Oh, and isn't a tool.

Thank god, Amb is blessing us with New Class, as there is no Angel of any kind in the vicinity.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by True Believer Tony View Post
    While I'm glad to see Laura happy and it could be contributed to character growth and being with Warren, writers need to be careful because when you remove a character's defining traits, they run the risk of coming across generic. I think Taylor has struck a great balance between her old personality and new in All-New Wolverine and I trust Hopeless enough to believe he'll do the same. As it stands though, that opening scene with Warren didn't sell me. She sounded like Jean.
    That's the thing...I don't mind a happy Laura. Also, it's not because of Warren...the dude barely knew her name, and has attributed nothing in their relationship. It's all Laura at this point, but it feels forced because I don't think that Laura would be ready for, nor want, such clingy, and lovey dovey, relationship with anyone at this point of her life. Now that's not me saying that she shouldn't be in a relationship, as I think characters like Tyke, Hellion, and Elixir would compliment her pretty well.

Also, there's the fact that she doesn't trust Warren because of his tendency to betray others for power...she should've broke up with him after Black Vortex.

Quote Originally Posted by HeWhoSlapsAll View Post
    We all saw how much better ANW #2 was when Teengel was nowhere to be found.

She needs to be with someone who isn't clingy, and gives her space. Oh, and isn't a tool.

Thank god, Amb is blessing us with New Class, as there is no Angel of any kind in the vicinity.
    Also, it's not because of Warren...the dude barely knew her name, and has attributed nothing in their relationship.

Also, there's the fact that she doesn't trust Warren because of his tendency to betray others for power...she should've broke up with him after Black Vortex.
    Dude we get it. You don't like Angel but can you tone it down a little? In three out of four post in this thread you couldn't refrain from bashing him and it's a trend I already noticed in previous posts of yours. You don't have to be surprised if not many people bother replying to your posts if that is all that can be expected from you.

Yes there are problems with that relationship and yes I won't shed a tear if it's over but I have pointed them out a few times and then moved on.
    "This is me being reasonable"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Dude we get it. You don't like Angel but can you tone it down a little? In three out of four post in this thread you couldn't refrain from bashing him and it's a trend I already noticed in previous posts of yours. You don't have to be surprised if not many people bother replying to your posts if that is all that can be expected from you.

Yes there are problems with that relationship and yes I won't shed a tear if it's over but I have pointed them out a few times and then moved on.
    Funny enough, my posts on the other forums are more varied lol.

Yeah, I'll tone it down. A bit, lol.

I guess interms of this issue, I'm very interested in the Ghosts of Cyclops. I see a lot of potential, as I wanted a sort of "All-New Brotherhood". I think it'd be smart to have some of the NXM be part of the GoC, rather than create ANOTHER batch of new characters to throw on the "future wallpaper" pile.

Tyke was also cool. Everyone else is kinda just there...

They should end it. I very much doubt that Hopeless, or Taylor, would care if the other broke them up. It seems to hold back both characters; especially Laura.

Wait, I thought we liked Hellion?

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan615 View Post
    I loved the first issue, I thought the pacing was fine and we got to see the entire team in the first issue.

CBR gave it a 2.5 rating...I feel like they've been harsher on the x-books rating wise, I know some people don't like the direction the series is taking atm but the books are still good reads imo. I'm reading other Marvel books as well and I don't think they're significantly better.
    Nope, they're flawed from the get go as they're merely promotion for the Inhumans.