Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    Which is pretty much the gist I got from what you initially wrote. Hopeless characterisation of Laura /X-23 is far closer to the original introduction and the way in which she has always been portrayed.
    Wait, WHAT? In her original introduction she was virtually-mute, spaced out, and barely even seemed to be aware of half of what was happening around her. Her VERY FIRST PANEL was a PTSD vacant stare at a blinking "No Vacancy" sign:

You could literally count the amount of frames she had actual dialogue in ALL FOUR ISSUES of NYX she appeared in on one hand (and that's not exaggeration. She had maybe FIVE lines of dialogue in the entire series).

In her next appearances under Claremont she was damn near feral, snarling and growling at pretty much everyone. And still rarely speaking actual words (the closest to ANXM she acted was aping Psylocke's mannerisms in the background, which has since been accepted as wholly OOC). Under Kyle and Yost she was reserved and quiet, and when she did speak it wasn't at length. Liu ramped it up to eleven to full-blown Robo-Laura (even under Kyle and Yost she used contractions). At NO point under KYost or Liu did she EVER tell someone "I'll get all stabby." Hell, even in Avengers Arena (also by Hopeless, so he SHOULD know better) she doesn't put together more than a few words at a time; she ambushes Cammi, takes a sniff, and her response is pretty much just "Sorry, it wasn't you," before walking off without a word of explanation.

The one and only writer Hopeless's characterization in ANXM is anything REMOTELY like has been Bendis. It sure as hell isn't how she's always been portrayed.
    Last edited by Ambaryerno; 12-09-2015 at 07:43 PM.

No, it’s based on having read the character for the past 7 years. There’s a certain template or kind of female comic book character that I gravitate to and will spend money on. To the point where I actually had two people point out to me that they knew I would love X-23. And believe me if Taylor’s rendition of X-23 had been in concert how she has been generally been portrayed (especially by her creators) I wouldn’t bother with the character.
    I'm suggesting you're projecting on Taylor's writing not the character as a whole. Case and point.

Taylor seems to be implying that she’s a borderline stupid animal that has a need to take life.
    This is admittedly only part of a line, from a long conversation; though the gist of that conversation was people being confused at what you were going on about; like what you had read was somehow completely different from what everyone else has read.

I gave long well thought out replies on this matter in that thread, here I'll stick with; he is not suggesting that and your interpretation is wrong.

A solo matters only in so much as it adheres to the characterisation, temperament and is in line with how the character has been portrayed for the most part for the bulk of the publication history. Then if it doesn’t it should definitely be ignored by other writers and creators. There’s no need to follow bad sloppy and lazy writing.
    I don't necessarily disagree with the sentiment, (though I do disagree with you on Taylor's writing and characterization), but a narrative requires a degree of consistency and cohesion or it falls apart.

The solo is going to be the one with the bulk of her story, it is going to be the one focused on her, so for good or ill it will likely be the one bearing the weight of her characterization going forward.

What I want and what you want does not factor into it.

The only thing of note that can be done is nothing, which is to say you can stop buying it; because what you want to happen is likely only going to if All New Wolverine is a short lived failure.
    Last edited by Nazrel; 12-10-2015 at 10:19 AM.

Fantastic Member TheForbiddenOne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    The only thing of note that can be done is nothing, which is to say you can stop buying it; because what you want to happen is likely only going to if All New Wolverine is a short lived failure.
    That seems likely enough don't you think? Laura's solos have failed in the past. And its not like comics based on women tend to sell well.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheForbiddenOne View Post
    That seems likely enough don't you think? Laura's solos have failed in the past. And its not like comics based on women tend to sell well.
    Except her last solo DIDN'T fail. Sales were just fine, Marvel just wanted to use her to prop up Avengers Academy.

Fantastic Member TheForbiddenOne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Except her last solo DIDN'T fail. Sales were just fine, Marvel just wanted to use her to prop up Avengers Academy.
    The book was cancelled because of low sales. Its not as though Marvel couldn't have her in a solo and in Avengers Academy at the same time.

BANNED

The Liu series was outselling a number of other Marvel titles at the time the cancellation was announced that were NOT cancelled. And oh yeah, one of the books that it was beating was the one Marvel SENT her to (Academy). The sales may not have been spectacular, but they sure as hell weren't poor.