Page 6 of 166 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

: The duo look to Emil. Chou looks him over, offering a bro fist.:

Ken: Damn, got to be coolest thing in like ever. Emil? Awesome man.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Mayumi glanced over her shoulder at the newcomer before turning around, pulling the cigarette out of her mouth and smiling back. "That's a yes, pleased t'meet ya. This is Phillipe, that's Carter, an' I'm Mayumi." She'd point at each before offering a free hand.

Might've seemed strange she'd turned warm so suddenly, but really it just came down to the new girl being obviously polite, not trying to bum a cigarette, and being female. Not that she had anything against guys... but so far one was grumpy, and one was an attempted flirt, and the one she'd yelled at a moment ago fancied himself a sneak. That was more than enough for now.
    Maia nodded to each in turn as Mayumi introduced them.

"Pleased to meet'chyall."

Right off the bat, Mayumi was a study in contrasts. She spoke in such a straightforward manner, and was evidently a cigarette smoker, yet her delicate features rested under immaculate make up that gave her a pale, almost luminescent appearance, and were framed by beautifully done, inky black hair. It was like a ghost from a period romance novel had donned a fedora and started talking like a private investigator.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Turning to the newcomer, Raven gave the new girl a gentle, friendly smile and said "Yes it is, pleased to meet you. My name is Raven Williams, and this is my personal assistant A.I. Turing." As she spoke the second name, she lifted her arm to show off the band on her arm with a screen showing the pink-haired assistant waving cheerfully to Maia.
    "And I'm Maia," she said "Maia Woods. Nice to meet you too."

Personal assistants had gotten so advanced in this day and age, they could carry a conversation to an extent. Maia had seen others treat their personal assistants A.I.s like pets, ones that never pooped on the carpet. Raven apparently did the same, and had reprogrammed Turing with a cheerful voice. She sure sounded cute and energetic to perk up anyone's day. A.I.s of course weren't advanced yet to really think for themselves or get offended, but Raven obviously put some love into Turing, so it was only polite that she do so as well. Maia bent slightly to get herself to eye level with Raven's armband, and waved at the pink haired avatar.

"And nice to meet you Turing. I hope we can be friends!"

Now that she really got a look at Raven, Maia instinctively felt something was different. It was the way Raven talked, moved, dressed, even the way she was just standing there. This lady knew how to carry herself. It wasn't common to see someone in their age group pull if off this well. And yet...Maia found herself smiling a little less self consciously. She looked to both the ladies who had turned to talk to her.

"Where are ya from?"

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Rose waved back. "Heeeey! Are you a student here too?"
    Emil nodded, seemingly friendly enough despite having yet to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives View Post
    : The duo look to Emil. Chou looks him over, offering a bro fist.:

Ken: Damn, got to be coolest thing in like ever. Emil? Awesome man.
    Glancing over to the duo, it would take Emil a few moments to get the gist of what Chou was doing before bumping the other's fist with one of those massive hands.

Extraordinary Member

"She's... unique for an A.I.. Most are rather cold and mechanical in personality, lacking the more subtle and extreme emotions Turing is capable of." Raven replied, Turing adding "I prefer calling myself a miracle in that regard."

"Indeed you are." Raven agreed with a small smile.
    Enjoying the pleasant warmth that was emanating from the pair Edmund just voiced his genuine reaction. "Aww, you two are adorable together."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    Maia pulled up along the driveway, shifting the gear stick of her station wagon to park. Hover tech had gotten a whole lot more accessible nowadays, but she still didn't trust herself to drive a hover car. She had a tough enough time adjusting to all the new gizmos as it was. She was pretty sure this was supposed to be the place. Hades Academy had been a venerable institution even back...back before now. Its unique campus, surrounded by acres of real forest, had been an opulent use of space on Avalon. Maia climbed out of the car and looked around. The place sure had seen better days though.

She pushed a button, and the back of her car popped open, allowing a pair of bags to float out and take their places beside her. Hover cars, not yet. Hover luggage though, that was genius. The trunk closed with an automated hiss, and she took a moment to stretch. Really, more of an excuse now that she was here to spend another few seconds not doing anything. What were esper academies like nowadays? She'd done some reading up, but she hadn't known much about campus life on esper academies decades ago, let alone now. Was she going to stick out? Well yes, yes of course she was. She'd never striven to be "normal" anyway. The point was to stick out like a daisy, not a sore thumb.

Spotting a gathered group of young people, she gave herself a couple of mental slaps on the cheeks and walked on over to a pair of friendlier looking folk, her luggage following behind. Confidence, she was going to walk in and introduce herself to her new classmates with an easy confidence. That was the way to make a solid first impression.

"Hi. Is this the class for Hades Academy?" Maia asked, smiling a little nervously. Dammit.
    Turning to the newcomer, Raven gave the new girl a gentle, friendly smile and said "Yes it is, pleased to meet you. My name is Raven Williams, and this is my personal assistant A.I. Turing." As she spoke the second name, she lifted her arm to show off the band on her arm with a screen showing the pink-haired assistant waving cheerfully to Maia.
    Edmund smiled warmly and nodded at the newcomer. "And I'm Edmund Kinsley. It's a pleasue to meet you."

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    "More of an outlet than anything else," he explained before taking another drag. "And I'm not grumpy; I just don't like talking to people."

He looked at the tattoo on her arm and nodded. "Nice. That's pretty good."
    "Doesn't seem like much of one," Mayumi commented. "If you're still grumpy and ****, all it seems to be doing is exasperating it. But the hell if I know, I'm not a therapist."

"Eh, it's alright. Had it done by a scratcher in Shangri-La for a pack of shitty cigs. Real masterwork is my back piece, but the only way you're seein' that is if you ask nicely. Or get the lil' lady here to," she nodded at Maia.

Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    For those students who had already arrived, awaiting the presence of the headmaster of this "esteemed" academy, they might have noticed a curious sight approaching. It was a transport, unmarked but all the signs screamed that it was obviously not one of civilian origin. Reaching the curb of the academy ground, the transport came to a halt and its engine went into idle. For a brief moment, nothing occurred, adding fuel to those who might have imagined the occupants watching them behind those tinted windows, but sure enough, the doors opened and out stepped two people. By then their garb might it was plainly clear that they were SAWs, Valhallan for those who might have been familiar with those uniforms. One of them was a woman in her 30s with a facial scar that ran down the right side of her crown down that side of her facial and the other was a scrawny guy who appeared to be in his teens. The two of them stepped towards the back of the vehicle and the woman reached out to grab the handle of the double-doors. One could only imagine who it was that required such handlers to deliver them to the academy, whether it was a prisoner being dumped for rehabilitation or another SAW who just didn't call "shotgun" fast enough.

No imagination would have predicted the truth.

It was a massive figure, not so much in height as it appeared to be lucky to be just 5 feet, but rather it was wide enough to have some trouble getting out of the transport. It stood atop of tiny, stubby legs, whose mass seemed to go to its massive hands and arms, and its face was covered by a strange mask with over-sized zippers in place of its eyes.

"Emil." The woman said, prompting the figure to 'look' at her. "Remember what the Doctor told you?" Emil promptly gave a salute, the 'cadet's' massive hand eclipsing that tiny head. "Good, now remember: don't worry about the others. Focus on yourself and things should fall into place." Emil didn't seem to do anything else, but the woman seemed to find some sign of confirmation as she nodded and walked back to the driver's door of the transport. The teenager leaned down and gave Emil a hug, or rather awkwardly did something resembling a hug considering the student's girth, "Take care of yourself. If you need anything, just remember that we'll have your back." Backing up with a large smile, the teenager gave a farewell wave before making his way to the passenger's door.

A few moments later, the transport departed, leaving the oddity known as Emil alone with the other students.
    Mayumi blinked.

"Pretty fuckin' awesome, that... you. You ever have someone draw you?"

Maia nodded to each in turn as Mayumi introduced them.

"Pleased to meet'chyall."

Right off the bat, Mayumi was a study in contrasts. She spoke in such a straightforward manner, and was evidently a cigarette smoker, yet her delicate features rested under immaculate make up that gave her a pale, almost luminescent appearance, and were framed by beautifully done, inky black hair. It was like a ghost from a period romance novel had donned a fedora and started talking like a private investigator.
    "You definitely seem like it," Mayumi nodded. There was something else, too. A certain strangeness that didn't quite mesh with the others... maybe a country feel? Old school? Definitely not "modern" she was sure, but she couldn't quite put a finger on it. "Have t'say though. You've definitely got a .. well, you definitely don't seem like the others what with the hovercars and wastes of perfectly good feet. You from around here? No... that's not right. You grow up in the country?"

Didn't hurt to ask.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

"And I'm Maia," she said "Maia Woods. Nice to meet you too."

Personal assistants had gotten so advanced in this day and age, they could carry a conversation to an extent. Maia had seen others treat their personal assistants A.I.s like pets, ones that never pooped on the carpet. Raven apparently did the same, and had reprogrammed Turing with a cheerful voice. She sure sounded cute and energetic to perk up anyone's day. A.I.s of course weren't advanced yet to really think for themselves or get offended, but Raven obviously put some love into Turing, so it was only polite that she do so as well. Maia bent slightly to get herself to eye level with Raven's armband, and waved at the pink haired avatar.

"And nice to meet you Turing. I hope we can be friends!"

Now that she really got a look at Raven, Maia instinctively felt something was different. It was the way Raven talked, moved, dressed, even the way she was just standing there. This lady knew how to carry herself. It wasn't common to see someone in their age group pull if off this well. And yet...Maia found herself smiling a little less self consciously. She looked to both the ladies who had turned to talk to her.

"Where are ya from?"
    "Yay! I love making new friends... Just watch out for the masked men with knives, ghost girls in mirrors, and shadow men waiting to eat you up!" Turing replied, her tone turning into a rather silly attempt at seriousness with her warning.

"I'm from Valhalla, where my father works as a rather prestigious judge." Raven replied, ignoring Turing's warning to Maia with a practiced ease as she spoke.

"Mind if I ask where you're from, Maia?" Raven asked, still smiling softly.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

With everyone gathered around, talking to each other, it was easy for Flip to learn who was who, where many had come from, and what most of their Abilities were without asking too many questions.

As he was listening, he suddenly got an uneasy feeling. Looking around calmly, he didn't see any significant technology, but to be on the safe side he decided to go for a brief walk until he got his 'Gremlin' back under control. The more distance he placed between himself and the others, the less likely something in their possession would crash or short out or worse.

Walking away, he found a tree and leaned against it, working on his mental exercises to regain control.
    Last edited by Tami; 12-04-2015 at 05:56 AM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

"You seem like fun!" Mayumi called out.
    He fought back the flinch, and there was almost a flinch because even though law of probability told him eventually someone had to look up he had not quite expected it to happen quite so fast.

He turned his head to the speaker and wondered what to do.

Finally, he settled on a noncommittal wave.

There. Good enough.

He was not going to get down from his tree, because it was totally his tree now. There were many like it but this one was his.

Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    It was a massive figure, not so much in height as it appeared to be lucky to be just 5 feet, but rather it was wide enough to have some trouble getting out of the transport. It stood atop of tiny, stubby legs, whose mass seemed to go to its massive hands and arms, and its face was covered by a strange mask with over-sized zippers in place of its eye.
    That was... unexpected.

Normal people did not have those proportions... most of the time... some ESPer powers were just weird, and, well, that pretty much said it all, didn't it?
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    He fought back the flinch, and there was almost a flinch because even though law of probability told him eventually someone had to look up he had not quite expected it to happen quite so fast.

He turned his head to the speaker and wondered what to do.

Finally, he settled on a noncommittal wave.

There. Good enough.

He was not going to get down from his tree, because it was totally his tree now. There were many like it but this one was his.
    Curious to whom the tattooed was talking to Edmund's gaze drifted upward until he spotted the tree climber.

A small part of his brain suggested that he should leave this person alone, that it was obviously a lone wolf person who did cool things like brooding and being mysterious in the shades, like a lot of his favourite characters in comic, and that he shouldn't bother this person lest he look like a dork again.

Another much louder part was already in the process of greeting the still unamned tree person, even going so far as to let go of one of his two overstuffed bags and waving enthusiastically.

"Hello up there! Do you want to come down and chat!?" He yelled with a large grin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Curious to whom the tattooed was talking to Edmund's gaze drifted upward until he spotted the tree climber.

A small part of his brain suggested that he should leave this person alone, that it was obviously a lone wolf person who did cool things like brooding and being mysterious in the shades, like a lot of his favourite characters in comic, and that he shouldn't bother this person lest he look like a dork again.

Another much louder part was already in the process of greeting the still unamned tree person, even going so far as to let go of one of his two overstuffed bags and waving enthusiastically.

"Hello up there! Do you want to come down and chat!?" He yelled with a large grin.
    Oh joy, now other people knew where he was. He could probably go invisible and pick another place but that felt too much like giving up.

Really, what was it with people being so sociable? Did you stop to greet every stranger that passed through the street? Of course not. That'd just be silly and get you a few odd looks. However, right now it was not only expected but encouraged. Know the people you will go to school with.

While it was inevitable, Silva would rather do so in his own time and his own terms, thank you very much.

"I'm comfortable where I am," he said, leaning against the tree trunk. "Why don't you try coming up instead?"

He very much doubted he would do it.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

A flying limo slowly approached the entrance of the Hades Academy, three occupants within the vehicle, plus the driver. Two parents, and their 14-year-old son. The former giving their last few pieces of advice before letting the latter enter the academy.

"Mom, I don't need to know that I have to work hard to be at the top of the Esper academy. Besides, I am pretty sure I am already better than most of those people..."

"And that is why you're going to Hades, and not one of those very reputed academies, Francis. But he does have a point, darling: for all his flaws, he does know the value of training and hard work. What you need to work on is your people skills. The people's support is a very important thing for an Esper, it allows him to do his job without some obstacles."

At these last few words, the limo landed, and the driver got out of it to get Francis' luggage. Francis himself went out after saying goodbye to his parents, and took the two bags.

"Sir, I wish you luck."

"Thanks Robert. And be good to my parents, please"

"I will do. And it's Albert, you little snot."

"What?"

"Nothing, sir."

On those parting words, Albert entered the limo, took the wheel, and started flying back home. As for Francis, he started taking in his environment. Those buildings were in a very bad state. Maybe he should consider making a serious donation to the headmaster, mostly because he didn't see himself live in such conditions for long, being used to much better. He then took a look to the students that were already there. He noted some people who were a fair bit older than himself. Eh, not everyone can get Esper powers as young as he did (no, he won't mention that year of worrying he will be... gasp... an ordinary person). He also noticed a weird man...thing... man-thing, discussing with a girl he was pretty sure he saw once or twice in Avalon.

Best thing for now, if he wanted to be at the top, was to observe, and see if he could gather information on what the others could do. So he found a tree to lean on, and started watching the other, peasants or fellow Avalonians...

:As Chou hits fist, steam again:

Ken: We like you.

:Sees limo and student: Greaaaat.

:Shuts up as Flip vanishes.:

"Doesn't seem like much of one," Mayumi commented. "If you're still grumpy and ****, all it seems to be doing is exasperating it. But the hell if I know, I'm not a therapist."

"Eh, it's alright. Had it done by a scratcher in Shangri-La for a pack of shitty cigs. Real masterwork is my back piece, but the only way you're seein' that is if you ask nicely. Or get the lil' lady here to," she nodded at Maia.

Mayumi blinked.

"Pretty fuckin' awesome, that... you. You ever have someone draw you?"

"You definitely seem like it," Mayumi nodded. There was something else, too. A certain strangeness that didn't quite mesh with the others... maybe a country feel? Old school? Definitely not "modern" she was sure, but she couldn't quite put a finger on it. "Have t'say though. You've definitely got a .. well, you definitely don't seem like the others what with the hovercars and wastes of perfectly good feet. You from around here? No... that's not right. You grow up in the country?"

Didn't hurt to ask.

"Yay! I love making new friends... Just watch out for the masked men with knives, ghost girls in mirrors, and shadow men waiting to eat you up!" Turing replied, her tone turning into a rather silly attempt at seriousness with her warning.

"I'm from Valhalla, where my father works as a rather prestigious judge." Raven replied, ignoring Turing's warning to Maia with a practiced ease as she spoke.

"Mind if I ask where you're from, Maia?" Raven asked, still smiling softly.
    Ooh, a judge's daughter. Maia had a lot of respect for judges generally. They seemed to know everything, and were the sober arbiters for the worst arguments so everyone else could keep on living their merry way without worrying about all that.

Both Raven and Mayumi asked where she was from, and Mayumi couldn't help widening her smile into a little grin. Skipping sixty years sucked, for a host of obvious reasons. But it did have perks. Tech was confusing, but Maia had to admit stuff generally worked better now than it did before. There was less disease, laws seemed a little fairer, and she could look into a history book and see how well then-contemporary ideas had held up under the light of history. Oh, and there were the introductions of course.

"Avalon, born and bred. Ah grew up about a stone's throw away from Redwood Heights bout sixty years ago."
    Last edited by Lord Falcon; 12-04-2015 at 01:54 PM.

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

"No, you're not," he agreed. He sighed and took another drag. "If I look grumpy, its because I'm here agaisnt my will. My old man's making me go here so I can 'make something of myself'. What a joke."

His face, contrary to most guys his age, soured noticeably. "I'll pass." He glanced around and noticed that there were a lot more people standing around, socialized and being friendly.

That wasn't for him. "Nice talking to you," he said while backing away. "Thanks for the smoke. Let me know if you need a canvas."

He walked away and returned to his spot against the tree.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    Oh joy, now other people knew where he was. He could probably go invisible and pick another place but that felt too much like giving up.

Really, what was it with people being so sociable? Did you stop to greet every stranger that passed through the street? Of course not. That'd just be silly and get you a few odd looks. However, right now it was not only expected but encouraged. Know the people you will go to school with.

While it was inevitable, Silva would rather do so in his own time and his own terms, thank you very much.

"I'm comfortable where I am," he said, leaning against the tree trunk. "Why don't you try coming up instead?"

He very much doubted he would do it.
    Without missing a beat, or noticing the less than sociable mood of the tree climber, Edmund replied cheerfully and honestly. "Sorry, I've never been all that good at climbing things! That's probably another thing I can improve at this schooly, hopefully. But we can talk like this. It seems to be working. Hi, I'm Edmund Kinsley from Elysium. What's your name?"