Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default what makes a break out x-man?

House of M Academy X was alright, nothing special. Synch and Magick showed up but that was what? the 3rd alternate Magick to show up? Never thought much about it but then something odd happened. The longest resurrection of a c-list character I have ever witnessed.

Lets not make a mistake, Illyana was C-list at the time of her resurrection. Inferno was a major story arc no one denies that, but she was chibi-fied, killed and silence from 1993(?) to 2005. Then Kyle and Yost brought her back as a semi antagonist demon with no soul. Later, story after story by different writers she came back. She was a semi foil for Pixie (whom fraction was pushing), but It would be Illyana who had the staying power.

A serious player in both AVX and BotA, and member of the Extinction Team, Mutant Revolution Team, and now Extraordinary X-men. 2005 a corpse 2010 a main line X-man still going in 2016.

X-23 started out on X-men: Evolution, a Saturday morning cartoon show, now she is the All new All Different Wolverine.

I wonder what the x-men would look like if the writers gave Sunspot and Cannonball the time of day, In the Avengers they have seem to have found their break out spot.

Illyana and X-23 out shined Pixie, Quentin Quire, Stacy X, the 5 lights, Hope, even Maggot and Marrow from the 90's.

What makes a break out X-man?

a chance to develop, a chance few x-writers seem willing to give.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

A pretty chromium cover

Well, if you call Sunspot All new Cyclops and give him a solo book with many guests Avengers, maybe it will be popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Well, if you call Sunspot All new Cyclops and give him a solo book with many guests Avengers, maybe it will be popular.
    I guess I missed the part where Sunspot was a Scott clone and pretty much already the female version of Cyclops in both powers and backstory before getting the codename and costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I guess I missed the part where Sunspot was a Scott clone and pretty much already the female version of Cyclops in both powers and backstory before getting the codename and costume.
    Marvel can make retcon...
    I'm kidding.

Quire had so much potential. The British punk anarchist trope is so played.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    A pretty chromium cover
    You are of my people! I miss the 90s. So many shiny covers... and oohh! Those trading card sets!
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ChibaMariners View Post
    They tried to push him, he came back from the dead, became a future phoenix host, You don't believe they gave the character a chance?

Illyana and X-23 were tragic characters we rooted for to find some kind of peace, happiness, and acceptance. The fact that they're also bad ass with cool powers doesn't hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Likewater View Post
    They tried to push him, he came back from the dead, became a future phoenix host, You don't believe they gave the character a chance?
    I only liked Quire when he was Manchester Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Mighty Member

I think a combination of personality, powers and appearance play a huge role. There has to been interest from the creators but a character has to resonate with whats going on in society when its introduced. It has to grab people as either someone that is like them or someone that intrigues or someone they would like to be.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Surge could be the next cyclops, I wouldn't complain

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    I think a combination of personality, powers and appearance play a huge role. There has to been interest from the creators but a character has to resonate with whats going on in society when its introduced. It has to grab people as either someone that is like them or someone that intrigues or someone they would like to be.
    If there was a foolproof formula for creating and pushing new heroes we would see them every year, instead we get legacies

I'm a fan of his power set specifically his usage of TK and his psionic weapons(Guns, vehicles, etc...). Kind of like the final frontier of what Psylocke does. Just hated how they executed the character

"Wahhh I'm so talented nobody notices me"

"Wahh I'm not a supermodel hunk so I never get play"

In reality it should have been hard to ignore that kind of talent, even if he did have a minus type personality.

I'm a fan of his power set specifically his usage of TK and his psionic weapons(Guns, vehicles, etc...). Kind of like the final frontier of what Psylocke does. Just hated how they executed the character

"Wahhh I'm so talented nobody notices me"

"Wahh I'm not a supermodel hunk so I never get play"

In reality it should have been hard to ignore that kind of talent, even if he did have a minus type personality.
    To bad the writers never saw Mob Psycho 100, cause you make them sound quite similar.

BANNED

Hard to say. X-23 is tied to Wolverine and debuted on TV that is hard to repeat.

Lets says a unique personality/backstory and a cool visually useable powerset. Probably want a powerset that doesn't step on the toes of a major x-men. So yeah Pixie being a better TP then Kurt is not helping you. And Magik does the dark magic user better so you are screwed. Or whatever makes you attractive to authors to use.

What makes a break out X-man?
    These days, it's writers (and artists) that make or break a character (X-Men, or otherwise).

A character can have the coolest - or dumbest look - and still take off, if the right creative team writes them.

Deadpool was nothing but a Spider-Man/Deathstroke rip off. Look where he is now.
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!