Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

How many print reporters faces do you know?

Also Superman doesn't do many televised interviews or photoshoots so IMO most people haven't gotten a good look at both men.

The few people who have are Lois and Jon, the Justice League, Kara, the Kents (when alive), Sam Lane, Jimmy, and Lex even Perry doesn't have much interaction with Superman since post crisis.

Now Lois, Jon, the League, Kara, and Kents all know the truth so that leaves Jimmy, Sam, and Lex Jimmy two best friends are Superman and Clark so I believe he might subconsciously know but can't admit it to himself that "both" his best friends are lying to him. As for Lex and Sam I don't believe either believe Superman has an alter ego especially that of Clark Kent a man who usually neither respect.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 10-09-2018 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    If memory serves, the Golden Age Superman comics explained that he had such complete control over his muscles that he actually contorted his facial features so that Superman's face looked different than Clark Kent's. Not sure why that idea didn't carry on. Maybe people thought it was too goofy. However, it might be an interesting idea to revisit.
    Most likely - I kinda like the idea, and I kinda don't. Makes him too much of a shape-shifter, imo. That's why I like it being just a little bit beyond those who can naturally contort themselves to look different.

Quote Originally Posted by llozymandias View Post
    In most continuities the disguise involved a lot more than just wearing glasses. He compressed his spine so that Clark was about 5'11", while Superman was about 6'3". He gave his different ids different voices. His super-voice power enabled him to fool voice print analyzers.
    Big time. All of those things together mean a lot more than people think.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    How many print reporters faces do you know?

Also Superman doesn't do many televised interviews or photoshoots so IMO most people haven't gotten a good look at both men.

The few people who have are Lois and Jon, the Justice League, the Kents (when alive), Sam Lane, Jimmy, and Lex even Perry doesn't have much interaction with Superman since post crisis.

Now Lois, Jon, the League, and Kents all know the truth so that leaves Jimmy, Sam, and Lex Jimmy two best friends are Superman and Clark so I believe he might subconsciously know but can't admit it to himself that "both" his best friends are lying to him. As for Lex and Sam I don't believe either believe Superman has an alter ego especially that of Clark Kent a man who usually neither respect.
    Yes to all of this.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Astonishing Member

Just treat it like a gag. Akin to no one knowing Zim was an alien because of contact lenses and a wig. Humor's suppose to be a part of the Superman story.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    Post-Crisis, there was no need for a forging of the birth certificate. A snow storm blocked access to areas in and around Smallville for several weeks, soon after the rocket landed and Martha and Jonathan had taken Clark home with them (this is cited in the Manhunters storyline and several others over the years). Martha had had a few miscarriages so it was believed that the Kents had kept her pregnancy a secret and that Clark was their natural-born son.

Although stronger and more durable than the average human baby, the Post-COIE Clark was not invulnerable (the Manhunters storyline also provided additional cover) and was seen by the local doctor on a couple of occasions.

Pre-COIE, there are variations. The early stories had the Kents find Clark and hand him in to a children's home before returning to adopt him (there was a similar approach, if I remember correctly, in the Ruby Spears' animated series (see Family Album segment)) but, generally, no need for the birth certificate as Clark had been found.

Over in the Smallville series, Lionel Luthor was person Jonathan Kent turned to for the documentation (covered in the second season, I think).
    Excellent, thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Excellent, thanks so much.
    You're welcome

Just thought I would toss in that no one recognizes Diana Prince as Wonder Woman. And she doesn't even wear glasses.

For someone human, sure
    Ok, for someone who isn't a shapeshifter.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Just thought I would toss in that no one recognizes Diana Prince as Wonder Woman. And she doesn't even wear glasses.
    Is that still a thing though? I feel like it was brief.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Most likely - I kinda like the idea, and I kinda don't. Makes him too much of a shape-shifter, imo. That's why I like it being just a little bit beyond those who can naturally contort themselves to look different.
    Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Ok, for someone who isn't a shapeshifter.
    But think of the stories when he used to be able to do this:

supes_shape_shifting1.jpg

It's not like J'onn, of course, but it's still fun

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I believe there was a magical spell involved in the Diana Prince / Wonder Woman split.

But think of the stories when he used to be able to do this:

supes_shape_shifting1.jpg

It's not like J'onn, of course, but it's still fun
    that definitely counts as shapeshifting.

Mighty Member

I'm late to the party... but I think if the fact that Clark LOOKS like Superman gets acknowledged makes things seem less goofy. DESPITE seeing Superman in person, photos, etc, people will often perceive Superman in their own way, making him bigger than he is. It could even be somewhat of a joke, Clark could mention that he looks Superman and could be his twin, and one of his coworkers would respond that Superman is like twice Clark's size, or taller, or has a bluer eye color or some other nonsense they make up in their head. With Superman being seemingly transparent people wouldn't really be looking at everyday Clark Kent or other lookalikes and think that Superman is living a double life.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Jim, I don't think anybody is "bent out of shape" about this. And how would what you're positing manage to fool facial recognition technology?

Putting a mask on Superman is out of the question, obviously. I think it just needs to be said that among his powers is the ability to alter his features to some degree. Clearly he doesn't alter them drastically when he takes off his glasses, but enough to fool people.

I think that's all you need to do.
    Maybe not here, but I've seen plenty of people making a big deal about the glasses disguise being unrealistic.

But I agree that he could have a slight shape-shifting ability. Nothing close to the level of Martian Manhunter but just enough to subtly alter the shape of his face, kind of a more superhuman version of what any regular person can do(think Jim Carrey's rubberface routines).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    I'm late to the party... but I think if the fact that Clark LOOKS like Superman gets acknowledged makes things seem less goofy. DESPITE seeing Superman in person, photos, etc, people will often perceive Superman in their own way, making him bigger than he is. It could even be somewhat of a joke, Clark could mention that he looks Superman and could be his twin, and one of his coworkers would respond that Superman is like twice Clark's size, or taller, or has a bluer eye color or some other nonsense they make up in their head.

This has come up in Lois & Clark with Lois trying to describe Superman early on and using Clark Kent as a sort of contrast. And Superman Returns had a scene where Lois and Richard White were realizing how similar Superman looked to Clark (who was visible to them but apparently out of earshot), only for Clark to do something klutzy followed by Lois and Richard shaking their heads at how they'd ever considered that Kent could be Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    This has come up in Lois & Clark with Lois trying to describe Superman early on and using Clark Kent as a sort of contrast.
    The sketch artist scene?

The doughnut eating scene?

Lois: What we've got here is an example of human evolution. Clark is the before, Superman is the after.

Clark eats doughnut

Lois: Make that the way, way after.

And Superman Returns had a scene where Lois and Richard White were realizing how similar Superman looked to Clark (who was visible to them but apparently out of earshot), only for Clark to do something klutzy followed by Lois and Richard shaking their heads at how they'd ever considered that Kent could be Superman.
    Yeah, but Jason figured it out straight away. Poor kid almost had an asthma attack because of it