Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Thread Drift: Mary Jane's Appearance in Invincible Iron Man

So regarding MJ's appearance in Iron Man,
    spoilers:
    turns out in the 8 month skip her club got destroyed at one point and instead of trying to rebuild it in NYC again she opted to leave and build it in Chicago, where Iron Man and Dr Doom crash on the opening night lol
    end of spoilers
    "What about wheatcakes next time?"-Peter
    "Wheatcakes are yucky."-Annie

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    spoilers:
    turns out in the 8 month skip her club got destroyed at one point and instead of trying to rebuild it in NYC again she opted to leave and build it in Chicago, where Iron Man and Dr Doom crash on the opening night lol
    end of spoilers
    That's actually pretty damned good.

Still not interested in Iron Man though.

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    I can't say I was expecting that, but I found it very amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    That's actually pretty damned good.

Still not interested in Iron Man though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I can't say I was expecting that, but I found it very amusing.
    Yeah, issue wasn't that great IMO.
    It's gonna be interesting to see how MJ stays in Tony's life considering she made a monologue about not wanting to be around superpowers anymore.

Yeah, issue wasn't that great IMO.
    It's gonna be interesting to see how MJ stays in Tony's life considering she made a monologue about not wanting to be around superpowers anymore.
    Bendis basically took the character from where Slott had left her, more or less. Hard to totally reposition a character (particularly a character rather famous in another corner of Marvel) in just three pages. Particularly when she's only the focal point for... 1 and a half of those pages... It is a little awkward because we're reaching the end of the Doctor Doom and Madame Masque story that launched the newest volume.

The children's hospital scene in the issue is based off of this...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...rable-iron-max

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Bendis basically took the character from where Slott had left her, more or less. Hard to totally reposition a character (particularly a character rather famous in another corner of Marvel) in just three pages. Particularly when she's only the focal point for... 1 and a half of those pages... It is a little awkward because we're reaching the end of the Doctor Doom and Madame Masque story that launched the newest volume.
    Well this is how Bendis operates for any character. Slow and steady, with little bits of reveal and then you get the major story arc for that character. So maybe around this time next year we'll have a big story arc for MJ in Iron Man.

But I do think this shows how bad of a situation MJ would've been in had she not appeared in Iron Man. Stuck on a shelf with no purpose until Marvel feels comfortable with Peter and MJ as a couple.

But I do think this shows how bad of a situation MJ would've been in had she not appeared in Iron Man. Stuck on a shelf with no purpose until Marvel feels comfortable with Peter and MJ as a couple.
    Yeah, but the paradox there is that sitting on a shelf is actually the best place to give a supporting character that independent development everyone keeps going on about. She goes away for a few years, then when she is brought back, she comes pre-loaded with new experiences that have nothing to do with superhero chaos, which can then be touched on briefly before moving forward with a now-more-developed character.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Yeah, but the paradox there is that sitting on a shelf is actually the best place to give a supporting character that independent development everyone keeps going on about. She goes away for a few years, then when she is brought back, she comes pre-loaded with new experiences that have nothing to do with superhero chaos, which can then be touched on briefly before moving forward with a now-more-developed character.
    Kinda I guess.
    But really how many times has that work? Specifically to Spider-Man. It's really rare and it is entirely dependent on Marvel being comfortable with whatever idea the writer comes up with and does. Even with MJ, when she first came back from the shelf in 1984, it wasn't so much new experiences but bringing up her past/upbringing.

Kinda I guess.
    But really how many times has that work? Specifically to Spider-Man. It's really rare and it is entirely dependent on Marvel being comfortable with whatever idea the writer comes up with and does. Even with MJ, when she first came back from the shelf in 1984, it wasn't so much new experiences but bringing up her past/upbringing.
    This is basically MJ's first opportunity to be more than just Spidey's (potential) love interest since... I don't know... never? It's her time to stand as her own character for once.

Wait, I think we're making different points.
    I'm saying it seems really bad how if this situation doesn't happen, then no one would be using MJ until they feel comfortable putting her back with Peter. I'm fine with her being on Iron Man, I'm just thrown off by the fact if this doesn't happen we won't be seeing MJ until someone wants to use her.

Bendis put this wordless preview page on his tumblr.

BANNED

dammit MJ, you get peter out of you, but still have the peter parker luck kkkkkkkkk

I find it very interesting that MJ is trying to divorce herself from the world of superheroics but finds out that she may be tied to it for life. Thematically reflective of her equation with Peter.

Lightbulb STARK Industries, A Watson International company

What if...we have this all wrong. Maybe it is not MJ working for Stark, but Stark working for MJ! What if...MJ sues Stark for destroying her night club and wins a controlling interest in Stark's company. Surely MJ would have incorporated her night club(s) to protect her personal assets. Maybe we will have a hostile takeover of Stark Industries by Watson Inc.
    Stay Calm. Carry Guns.

I'm interested to see where this goes. It seems like the comparisons with Pepper Potts will be hard to avoid. Why is it MJ instead of Pepper, anyway?
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.