Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Frank Miller Writing Superman?

There's no confirmation here but, according to this article on Bleeding Cool, Miller said he wants to write a Superman story with Batman as the bad guy (it could be DKIV, which he has mentioned once or twice or it could be another project altogether)

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/12/...s-the-bad-guy/

I know Frank Miller is a divisive figure and not everyone will be thrilled to hear this ... but personally I'm a big fan of Frank's and would seriously love to see him produce a comic focused on Superman ... so I'm keeping my fingers crossed, hoping DC will let him do this!

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Awesome. And, I'm glad Miller's feeling up to all this, too. I know people are going to go "it's for the money," but honestly? Give the man the money. He's earned his paychecks.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

It sounds interesting. I'm all for it.

Having said that I have serious doubts it will ever happen.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

If this is true I'm very very excited about it! I've long wanted to see Miller write Superman in a more focused manner for a longer period of time just to see what he has to say. Fingers crossed!

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

A reverse Dark Knight? So it'll ruin Batman's image for the next 30 years?

Interesting. I'd check that out. Glad to hear that he's feeling up to more writing. I haven't been a fan of some of his more recent stuff, but he has written some of my favorites. I wonder what angle he would approach it. Hopefully he gets the go ahead and is up for the task.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

20 years ago sure, but Frank Miller has not written anything good in so long why bother now.

Just about "neutral". I wouldn't buy it fresh off the presses. But might read it eventually if it got good reviews.

But years ago, I'd have loved to see him write and illustrate a Superman run. I read his Daredevil run recently, and thought it a strong candidate for most enjoyable comic book art I've come across.

The way the panels were laid out made it wonderfully easy to follow the story. And the way his art got over the way Daredevil moved, and how his powers worked, is wonderful. Can easily imagine that at his artistic peak his drawing of Superman's strength and speed feats would have been a joy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Just about "neutral". I wouldn't buy it fresh off the presses. But might read it eventually if it got good reviews.

But years ago, I'd have loved to see him write and illustrate a Superman run. I read his Daredevil run recently, and thought it a strong candidate for most enjoyable comic book art I've come across.

The way the panels were laid out made it wonderfully easy to follow the story. And the way his art got over the way Daredevil moved, and how his powers worked, is wonderful. Can easily imagine that at his artistic peak his drawing of Superman's strength and speed feats would have been a joy.
    that Miller is gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    20 years ago sure, but Frank Miller has not written anything good in so long why bother now.
    yeah Miller is exactly what superman doesn't need now. he is the reason superman is portrayed as a ignorant boy scout

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    that Miller is gone.
    Not necessarily. The mini comic featuring The Atom, which came with DK3 and was written and drawn by Miller, seemed a bit more in stride with his Daredevil style ... if he can maintain that kind of form, I think he could produce something really amazing

yeah Miller is exactly what superman doesn't need now. he is the reason superman is portrayed as a ignorant boy scout
    To a certain extent, yes. He certainly does have a history of being somewhat rough on Superman but that doesn't mean he can't turn it around and present a fresh perspective

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by friendly-fire-press View Post
    Not necessarily. The mini comic featuring The Atom, which came with DK3 and was written and drawn by Miller, seemed a bit more in stride with his Daredevil style ... if he can maintain that kind of form, I think he could produce something really amazing
    that art seemed to be done by 3 different artists, Miller art is very bad today an dhis health isn't that good too

To a certain extent, yes. He certainly does have a history of being somewhat rough on Superman but that doesn't mean he can't turn it around and present a fresh perspective
    somewhat rough? lol h ejust humiliate superman period
    For me Superman deserves much more than Frank Miller on his lowest

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

that art seemed to be done by 3 different artists, Miller art is very bad today an dhis health isn't that good too
    Your opinion is your opinion, but that doesn't extend to "blaming" Miller's current style(s) on his health or inability to draw. It may be a theory of yours, but since you can't prove it, it is libelous at worst and pointless at best.

Why not just go with "I don't like how he draws right now"?
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

This is really interesting actually. I'm definitely among those that hold Dark Knight Returns at least somewhat accountable for the downturn in Superman's popularity, but I never actually got the sense that Miller actually hated Superman the way some people claim. While there are some things about Superman's portrayal in DKR that I genuinely have a problem with (I really don't like Superman working too closely with the government for instance) I don't think Superman was particularly horribly done by in the story; it's the effect that the story had on fans that's the problem. Either way I've seen enough variety in Miller's portrayal's of Batman that I doubt DKR Supes is his only take on the character; I remember reading that DC was considering him to reimagine Superman after COIE, so surely he must've had something to say. At the very least I'd be interested in reading this simply for the fact that Batman would be the one going bad for once.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Superman is a symbol for the USA, when Miller portrays Superman as indecisive, or manipulated, or corrupt. He is saying something about the U.S. more than Superman. The DKR was social critique. I would read it but I think Miller works best with street level and noir characters.

Boisterously Confused

I'm dubious, but curious. I just can't see Miller writing Superman in a flattering light, it seems too far out from what he's good at and seems to enjoy. On the other hand, if he could pull off a first rate Superman-as-the-hero story, that respects the things that have made Superman great over all of his 76-and counting years, I'd say he deserves a spot on the highest and most sparsely populated pedestal of comics' best creators. In recognition of his skill and range, if nothing else.

I Did Not Like Miller's Superman from DKR, but I don't think you can lay the entirety of Superman's post-DKR characterization on Miller. A lot of lesser writers, impressed by Miller's work did the damage. It was also the Age of the Punisher and Wolverine, and it takes a gifted writer to glamorize characters like that when they're standing next to Superman, without lessening Superman's depiction somehow.