View Poll Results: Who is your favorite LGBT character at DC Comics?

Voters
249. You may not vote on this poll
  • Batwoman

54 21.69%
  • Catman

6 2.41%
  • Harley Quinn

9 3.61%
  • Catwoman

11 4.42%
  • Pied Piper

14 5.62%
  • Poison Ivy

14 5.62%
  • Midnighter

65 26.10%
  • Constantine

21 8.43%
  • Scandal Savage

1 0.40%
  • Shrinking Violet

1 0.40%
  • Renee Montoya

17 6.83%
  • Bunker

10 4.02%
  • Obsidian

11 4.42%
  • Alan Scott

6 2.41%
  • Other (not listed)

9 3.61%
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    He's more than just flirting with him, as of the most recent issues.

If you can find a way, I'd be interested to read your thoughts.

John's one of those guys that, even if his writers and artists hadn't pinged him as bi ages ago, I'd have sort of fan-sorted him there, anyway. But, he does have fans who are still pretty adamant that he's not, or if he is, it's by-action-only, and part of a scheme.

It's just something that'll take time for me to get use to, that's all I can say. I'm new to the character. Constantine, Justice League Dark and the NBC series is all I know. It's cool that he is bi though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpunk Ronin View Post
    It's a still little weird that Constantine is gay, I can't really explain it without offending. Been meaning to check out Constantine: The Hellblazer because the art looks beautiful.
    He isn't gay. He's bi. There's a rather big diference.
    He's been bi for longer than the Nu52. If you hadn't realised this before now, it was clearly time for a writer to show him going for guys rather than girls.

I voted for Batwoman before noticing that Renee Montoya was an option. Oh well, but I guess she's not a superhero ATM so I can live with that.

Astonishing Member

While never explicitly stated as such in the comics I really would've loved to see Triumph come out as gay in story like Christopher Priest apparently intended to reveal.

I thought it helped make some of his interactions make a bit more sense. And as Priest mewntioned it would fit in with his narrative of feeling out of place and out of time.

Interestingly I have a hunch Priest who also wrote Ray at the time in the 90's might've intended to have Ray come out as gay (or bi) and have them be a couple given some events that happened in Ray's book, that I'm guessing DC nixed in the end which would've led to it.

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    While never explicitly stated as such in the comics I really would've loved to see Triumph come out as gay in story like Christopher Priest apparently intended to reveal. ...Interestingly I have a hunch Priest who also wrote Ray at the time in the 90's might've intended to have Ray come out as gay (or bi) and have them be a couple given some events that happened in Ray's book, that I'm guessing DC nixed in the end which would've led to it.
    OMG I had no idea this was a thing! wow! Northstar had just come out at Marvel around that time. THey would have made a really cool couple.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Question for y'all: If a writer or artist writes or draws a character as lgbt, but they're never outed or made explicit on the page, does it count for you?

I'm going to say that, at least for those issues/that run, it does count for me, but the fan-side of me also feels that it "counts" completely, even though I know that's not logical.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    John's one of those guys that, even if his writers and artists hadn't pinged him as bi ages ago, I'd have sort of fan-sorted him there, anyway.
    I remember reading somewhere that one of the inspirations for Constantine was a blond man in a trenchcoat who had once slyly grinned and winked at Alan Moore in a London cafe or bar before disappearing. For the life of me I cannot remember where I read that from and cannot seem to find it online. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that one of the inspirations for Constantine was a blond man in a trenchcoat who had once slyly grinned and winked at Alan Moore in a London cafe or bar before disappearing. For the life of me I cannot remember where I read that from and cannot seem to find it online. Does anyone know what I am talking about?
    Moore's mentioned seeing him twice, but I think only after the character was created. Mainly, the artist said they were going to put Sting in the comic, and Moore decided to actually make it a character, since it was fait accompli.

That's the thing, though: I think, any version you have of John, he's a winky guy. It's easy for me that, at the very least, he hits on a lot of people, whether it's more serious than that or not.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Richard Stone from Static

or Richie Foley, as he was known on Static Shock

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    While never explicitly stated as such in the comics I really would've loved to see Triumph come out as gay in story like Christopher Priest apparently intended to reveal.

I thought it helped make some of his interactions make a bit more sense. And as Priest mewntioned it would fit in with his narrative of feeling out of place and out of time.

Interestingly I have a hunch Priest who also wrote Ray at the time in the 90's might've intended to have Ray come out as gay (or bi) and have them be a couple given some events that happened in Ray's book, that I'm guessing DC nixed in the end which would've led to it.
    While I never really cared for the character (mostly because he was shoehorned into existence), this would have totally made sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderlad View Post
    I totally forgot Mike S. Miller - a noted "conservative" - drew this mini-series! I wonder what he would have thought had Priest been able to out Triumph after all...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Midnighter all the way! I love the way Orlando is writing him and the way he handles his sexuality. The Prometheus story was awesome and twisted at the same time.
    Please Remain Calm

BANNED

Midnighter,Kate,Constantine,Renee,Scandal are my favourites but if I had to choose it'd be Midnighter. Catman,Catwoman and Ivy are "failed" gay/bi characters and actually lumping them with the others is an insult to actual LGBT characters. For the latter characters the writers tried to live some weird fantasy or fetish that they obviously were not fully comfortable with and committed to. Eg Harley/Ivy which is vague and only exists in Dini's head or Catwoman/Eiko which Valentine showed for one page and that was all there was to it,or Catman who is bi in Gail Simone's head.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    Midnighter,Kate,Constantine,Renee,Scandal are my favourites but if I had to choose it'd be Midnighter. Catman,Catwoman and Ivy are "failed" gay/bi characters and actually lumping them with the others is an insult to actual LGBT characters. For the latter characters the writers tried to live some weird fantasy or fetish that they obviously were not fully comfortable with and committed to. Eg Harley/Ivy which is vague and only exists in Dini's head or Catwoman/Eiko which Valentine showed for one page and that was all there was to it,or Catman who is bi in Gail Simone's head.
    I hate to sound negative about LGBT characters but for the most part I agree with you, especially about Gail Simone and Catman. I like that Simone wanted to add another bisexual male character to comics but the way she "outed" Catman as bi was pitiful.

Pied Piper is one of my fav C level characters ever!
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dan12456 View Post
    Pied Piper is one of my fav C level characters ever!
    Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    I disagree wholeheartedly. I'm not reading Secret Six atm, so I can't comment on Catman, but I don't see how Catwoman and Ivy are failed bi characters. Catwoman was just recently officially outed, so it's not like there's a whole lot of time for in depth analysis on her sexual orientation. She's bisexual no matter how many men vs women she's been with. Plus, Ivy and Harley are shown in bed together. I'm not sure what more is needed for them to be successful bi characters.