Default Should I read the mini's Robin I, II & III?

are these mini's worth reading? I was going to jump into the 1993 series, but there are so many tie in issues with whatever was going on with Batman that I think I'll avoid them. How is Robin I-III?

Extraordinary Member

I consider Robin I to be the tail end of Tim Drake's Origin, while II and III are still both really good, with the former being just as much of a groundwork reading for the series as anything else.

And Chuck Dixon wrote all three, so they're very good.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

They're all pretty fun.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Incredible Member

All of the minis are good. I'm most partial to the second one because Dixon writes a good Joker (finding out there's a new Robin; killing Mr. Freeze; getting taunted by the other Arkham inmates), but they're all worth reading.

For that matter, don't be too down on the ongoing series. Yes, the frequent crossovers are annoying to read around, but it's worth it, because that was really a fantastic book. The "Peter Parker of the '90s" comparisons weren't much of an exaggeration. At least read the first five issues and see how you like it.

BANNED

Yeah they're all pretty good.

Check out Batman #467-469, the "Shadow Box" arc. It's by the same creative team as the minis (Dixon and Lyle), it's a direct sequel to Robin I, and it also sets the stage for events in Robin III.

Also worth checking out by the same creative team is Detective Comics #644-649. These issues heavily feature Tim Drake. 644-646 was an Electrocutioner story, and 647-649 was the introduction of Stephanie Brown/Spoiler, who was later a major character in the ongoing.

Reading order for the "Dixon/Lyle run":

Robin I 1-5
    Batman 467-469
    Robin II 1-4
    Detective Comics 644-649
    Robin III 1-6
    Last edited by kevink31593; 12-05-2015 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    are these mini's worth reading? I was going to jump into the 1993 series, but there are so many tie in issues with whatever was going on with Batman that I think I'll avoid them. How is Robin I-III?
    If you have interest in the pre-Flashpoint version of Tim Drake, they're solid and definitely worth looking into. (Wasn't the first mini-series just re-issued as a trade paperback recently?)

If you only are interested in them to learn more about the "early years" of the New 52 / DCYou version(s) of Tim Drake, I don't think they apply any longer.

Extraordinary Member

I doubt you'll find anyone who wouldn't recommend them. Dixon is the definitive writer for Tim Drake.

Agree on Dixon. Loved the world he built for Tim in the early issues of the Robin ongoing. I enjoy that run more than the minis just because of the great supporting cast.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I doubt you'll find anyone who wouldn't recommend them. Dixon is the definitive writer for Tim Drake.
    How much I miss that days! I miss Tim Drake

Have still never read the first or third mini-series, but I've always enjoyed Robin II.

Now this thread has given me the extra kick to finally get around to checking out those other two.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Grab “A Lonely Place of Dying” (the story that introduces Tim Drake), “Robin Reborn” (a trade that collects Robin I with one of the Batman storylines between Tim's introduction and his debut as Robin), “Robin: Tragedy and Triumph” (a second trade that collects Robin IIand the other “Tim in training” storyline), and Robin III (which exists to set up the series). I don't know if Robin III has been collected yet. Between these, you'll have a near-complete chronicle of Tim’s origins; all of them are worth reading.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Grab “A Lonely Place of Dying” (the story that introduces Tim Drake), “Robin Reborn” (a trade that collects Robin I with one of the Batman storylines between Tim's introduction and his debut as Robin), “Robin: Tragedy and Triumph” (a second trade that collects Robin IIand the other “Tim in training” storyline), and Robin III (which exists to set up the series). I don't know if Robin III has been collected yet. Between these, you'll have a near-complete chronicle of Tim’s origins; all of them are worth reading.
    Just to clarify for the OP, I think Dataweaver is referring to the old, out-of-print TPB collections "Robin: A Hero Reborn" and "Robin: Tragedy & Triumph." Those are being supplanted with a new series of TPBs being released now. "Robin vol. 1: Reborn" came out a few weeks ago and collects the first Robin miniseries, as well as two preceding storylines involving the death of Tim's mother and his earning the Robin costume. The upcoming (in the spring) "Robin vol. 2: Triumphant" will presumably collect the second and third Robin minis, "The Joker's Wild" and "Cry of the Huntress."

Here's a rough chronology:

1) Batman: A Lonely Place of Dying (chronicles Tim Drake meeting Bruce & Dick and deciding to try to become the new Robin)
    2) [About a year's worth of Batman and Detective Comics where Tim would sporadically show up in the Batcave, doing computer work for Bruce, and once in New Teen Titans to learn about detective work from Dick. All of these are uncollected, and pretty unnecessary except for completionists.]
    3) Rite of Passage (Tim's mother dies), Identity Crisis (Tim earns the Robin costume), Robin I (first miniseries, gets training around the world) -- collected in Robin: Reborn
    4) [Various Robin appearances in Batman, including Tim's first night as Batman's partner (#465, "Debut") and issues 467-69 ("Shadow Box," a sequel to the first Robin mini). All uncollected.]
    5) Robin II: The Joker's Wild and Robin III: Cry of the Huntress -- presumably to be collected in Robin: Triumphant in the spring

Concurrently with those last two minis, Tim is officially Batman's partner and appearing regularly in Batman, Detective Comics (including, as noted above, 'Tec #647-649, the debut of Spoiler), and various guest appearances in other titles. He also stars in a serialized story in Showcase '93 #1-6 & 11-12 with first Catwoman, then Nightwing. [All uncollected.] He's prominent in Knightfall, and the beginning of Knightsquest coincides with the debut of Tim's solo series [we don't know for sure, but presumed to be collected in Robin vol. 3, currently solicited for August 2016].

I wish they would release his run in omnibus form