View Poll Results: What do you think Superman would do?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • He'd reason with him first

6 60.00%
  • He'd fight him first.

1 10.00%
  • He'd try to adjust to see things from his former a protege's point of view

0 0%
  • He'd defeat him give him a lecture and then constantly wonder if he did the right thing

3 30.00%

Default What would Superman do if he learned he ultimately created an evil villain?

Superman has often been at least metaphorically synonymous with religious figures like God or a phrophetic savior so I've often wondered how he'd react if he'd unintentionally created his own personal Lucifer. Like he ended up finding some young kid with serious potential for being powerful took him under his wing and mentored him to be his successor and carry on his ideals and beliefs. Then something terrible happens like Superman gets sent to the phantom zone by someone like Lex Luthor or maybe Darkseid. Eventually he gets out only to find the world transformed into a futuristic utopia but sadly nothing is as it seems. Like harsh punishments being enforced for the smallest crimes, curfews, censorship, no freedom of speech, and zero tolerance for those who would dare disrupt the world's so called peace.

Essentially Superman is shocked by this and assumes it's the fault of the one who trapped him in the phantom zone only upon confronting the lord and master of this false utopia Superman is shocked to discover it's his protégé who by some miracle managed to keep the Earth safe but also enslaved all of humanity. Then Superman discovers his protégé even when they were a team harbored secret resentments believing Superman never saw him as anything but a plan B and a fail safe for his own ambitions and for that reason Superman's protégé grew to secretly resent him even screaming at him in a vicious fight "I never wanted to be a hero! I only ever wanted to be normal your the one who came a long and said I had the potential to save the world that my powers gave me a great responsibility! Is the world not better? When you were locked in the phantom zone it all fell into chaos I had to step up and lead." Ultimately Superman after getting knocked around by his former protégé is heart broken because he saw a lot of himself in his former protégé like both could essentially have the same origin last of their kind both having no limits the same old story.

Essentially a Loki/Ultron type villain(like in the movie Thor and Avengers 2) who does only what he was taught(albeit by taking it to extreme levels) and sees as the most logical solution and is angry at Superman for objecting to his methods and ultimately dragging him into the super hero lifestyle. I feel a villain like this would be interesting especially if he kept trying to bring Superman over to his side and wasn't entirely wrong from his point of view.
    Last edited by Castiel; 12-04-2015 at 07:31 PM.

Incredible Member

It's sorta been done already.

Superman created the evil Lex Luthor Pre-Crisis when as Superboy he blew out a fire in Lex's lab causing all of Lex's hair to fall out.

Batman created Joker (in one origin) when he fought the Red Hood and he fell into a vat of chemicals bleaching his skin and turning his hair green.

According to the Crimson Chin in Fairly Odd Parents it's a common superhero trope.

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    It's sorta been done already.

Superman created the evil Lex Luthor Pre-Crisis when as Superboy he blew out a fire in Lex's lab causing all of Lex's hair to fall out.

Batman created Joker (in one origin) when he fought the Red Hood and he fell into a vat of chemicals bleaching his skin and turning his hair green.

According to the Crimson Chin in Fairly Odd Parents it's a common superhero trope.
    True but typically the hero creates his villain indirectly through an accident. I'm talking about a villain who gets molded on a more personal level by Superman personally like how Batman created Jason Todd.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

It's tricky to try imagine Superman taking on a protege, or someone who Superman was willing to take on not getting more competent attention and protection. But yeah he'd definitely take a reasonable approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    True but typically the hero creates his villain indirectly through an accident. I'm talking about a villain who gets molded on a more personal level by Superman personally like how Batman created Jason Todd.

i dont think toreador read what you wrote, his examples are not similar to your idea at all. ive read a whole lot of superman comics and i dont think ive seen anything like this. personally i loved it and wish it was a superman story, maybe even a movie. you are very creative and came up with something that is tough to do -- a real conundrum for superman.

Quote Originally Posted by dishpan View Post
    i dont think toreador read what you wrote, his examples are not similar to your idea at all. ive read a whole lot of superman comics and i dont think ive seen anything like this. personally i loved it and wish it was a superman story, maybe even a movie. you are very creative and came up with something that is tough to do -- a real conundrum for superman.
    Thanks I'll be honest I've been thinking about this for years. I mean I read a few comics and have seen a few Super Hero shows comics but the idea occurred to me when I was watching Tron when the bad guy said to his creator "I did everything you told me!" Then I started thinking about how Superheroes in comics often take young kids as side kicks young and impressionable kids and I thought about how easily a kid could get messed up from that.

I mean the side kicks get exposed to life threatening violence almost daily you can't tell me that wouldn't cause serious trauma on their psyche case in point there's Joker and all the horrible things he's done. I also began to wonder realistically how many kids would want to be exposed to that? I began to wonder how many side kicks/protégés simply were side kicks/protégés because they felt pressured especially the super powered ones. I mean how times in a comic or movie is someone with powers told "You have a responsibility." or "You could so be a super hero!" I can't help but see how someone might feel pressured.

That's when I thought about Superman and how he's seen as a shining example of good but there have also been alternate versions of Superman going down a dark road like the video game INJUSTICE. Then I thought what if he ultimately created villain that shares his morals and ideals but is willing to go too far to make the world a peaceful place. I mean would any of the heroes notice if on the outside one of their own was seemingly fine but on the inside was barely keeping it together and was pining for a normal life but couldn't have one because someone would always either fear their power or want to take advantage?

Then I had to wonder what would happen if Superman had a side kick/protégé that was secretly suffering on the inside and nobody knew then the worst scenario happens Superman is removed from play his protégé who is not in a good place in any sense of the word gets left holding the bag and is forced to step to a position he was not yet prepared for. Ultimately crossing lines that Superman never would condone because he feels he has no choice and starts seeing superman's no killing policy as the definition of insanity (doing the same thing expecting different results) thus ultimately becoming like Justice Lord Superman from JL the animated series even having a personal life outside being a tyrant(to add complexity) like a wife and kids. Then from the protégés point of view Superman returns threatening everything he's worked hard to build. I think that would make a very complex story line.

This is the scene that I got the idea from and I'd love to see Superman in the same situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    Thanks I'll be honest I've been thinking about this for years. I mean I read a few comics and have seen a few Super Hero shows comics but the idea occurred to me when I was watching Tron when the bad guy said to his creator "I did everything you told me!" Then I started thinking about how Superheroes in comics often take young kids as side kicks young and impressionable kids and I thought about how easily a kid could get messed up from that.

I mean the side kicks get exposed to life threatening violence almost daily you can't tell me that wouldn't cause serious trauma on their psyche case in point there's Joker and all the horrible things he's done. I also began to wonder realistically how many kids would want to be exposed to that? I began to wonder how many side kicks/protégés simply were side kicks/protégés because they felt pressured especially the super powered ones. I mean how times in a comic or movie is someone with powers told "You have a responsibility." or "You could so be a super hero!" I can't help but see how someone might feel pressured.

That's when I thought about Superman and how he's seen as a shining example of good but there have also been alternate versions of Superman going down a dark road like the video game INJUSTICE. Then I thought what if he ultimately created villain that shares his morals and ideals but is willing to go too far to make the world a peaceful place. I mean would any of the heroes notice if on the outside one of their own was seemingly fine but on the inside was barely keeping it together and was pining for a normal life but couldn't have one because someone would always either fear their power or want to take advantage?

Then I had to wonder what would happen if Superman had a side kick/protégé that was secretly suffering on the inside and nobody knew then the worst scenario happens Superman is removed from play his protégé who is not in a good place in any sense of the word gets left holding the bag and is forced to step to a position he was not yet prepared for. Ultimately crossing lines that Superman never would condone because he feels he has no choice and starts seeing superman's no killing policy as the definition of insanity (doing the same thing expecting different results) thus ultimately becoming like Justice Lord Superman from JL the animated series even having a personal life outside being a tyrant(to add complexity) like a wife and kids. Then from the protégés point of view Superman returns threatening everything he's worked hard to build. I think that would make a very complex story line.

This is the scene that I got the idea from and I'd love to see Superman in the same situation.

you know what, no wonder i loved your idea -- in addition to being a huge superman fan, tron legacy is one of my favorite movies. i'm surprised i didnt make that connection. thanks for pointing it out!

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Superman doesn't do sidekicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    i recommend you read "men of tomorrow" by geoff johns and check out ulysses. another pick would be "last son of krypton" for christopher kent. both have potential for castiels premise.

you know what, no wonder i loved your idea -- in addition to being a huge superman fan, tron legacy is one of my favorite movies. i'm surprised i didnt make that connection. thanks for pointing it out!
    Yeah it was a great movie. I loved the whole premise and found the plot interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Supergirl is arguably like his side kick.

i recommend you read "men of tomorrow" by geoff johns and check out ulysses. another pick would be "last son of krypton" for christopher kent. both have potential for castiels premise.
    Sounds good I'll definitely be looking into them.
    Last edited by Castiel; 12-25-2015 at 08:30 AM.