Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Villain Limited Series

Hello everyone, I have recently started reading comics, and I realized something; I keep being drawn to the villains in the universe. I would like to see more of their psychology and origin stories. In my opinion, the best way to do this is from books focusing on individual villains. So I was wondering what all villains have had a limited series or two to build on their character?

The ones I can think of are:

Red Skull Incarnate
    Magneto Testament
    Books of Doom

I think I read that Bullseye, and Crimson Dynamo have gotten their own series as well.

Are there any other villains who have received their own series? If they have, are they worth checking out? For the sake of argument I'm not going to count series where the villains have become good. So I believe that should cut out a few more recent series.

Thanks in advance!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    Hello everyone, I have recently started reading comics, and I realized something; I keep being drawn to the villains in the universe. I would like to see more of their psychology and origin stories. In my opinion, the best way to do this is from books focusing on individual villains. So I was wondering what all villains have had a limited series or two to build on their character?

The ones I can think of are:

Red Skull Incarnate
    Magneto Testament
    Books of Doom

I think I read that Bullseye, and Crimson Dynamo have gotten their own series as well.

Are there any other villains who have received their own series? If they have, are they worth checking out? For the sake of argument I'm not going to count series where the villains have become good. So I believe that should cut out a few more recent series.

Thanks in advance!
    You should check out the Superior Foes of Spider-Man if you like a comedic touch to things.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    You should check out the Superior Foes of Spider-Man if you like a comedic touch to things.
    And most volumes of Thunderbolts have villains acting as heroes.superficially, but not truthfully. Especially the Ellis/Deodato run. I'd also suggest the current IIlluminati book, and the upcoming volume of Uncanny X-Men.

Another classic is the Hood miniseries, which is basically the Peter Parker of villain stories.

Pretty much what everyone else said: Thunderbolts is a MUST READ! It's all about villains.
    - Superior Foes of Spiderman
    - the current Illuminati series

Also from Dark Reign, there was a fab Ares mini-series; and Moonstone took over Ms. Marvel's solo series for a time. Daken has had two solo series and he's basically an anti-villain; the first arc of Dark Wolverine vol. 1 "the Prince" is often his most acclaimed story.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Yeah, also Dark Reign: Zodiac was pretty awesome. It's in a trade collecting a bunch of cool villain stories too.

Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post
    Yeah, also Dark Reign: Zodiac was pretty awesome. It's in a trade collecting a bunch of cool villain stories too.
    Oh yeah! That was good. Did we ever seen Zodiac again? Wasn't he meant to be "the next big villain"???
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Oh yeah! That was good. Did we ever seen Zodiac again? Wasn't he meant to be "the next big villain"???
    No, he faded into obscurity. He was awesome, though. We've just had two or three rehashes of the villain team concept of Zodiac instead, which is sad. While I can see that potentially working well, there was a fantastic villain right there!

EDIT: I particularly liked how they based him visually on the real life Zodiac Killer.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The Taskmaster had an amazing mini series back about 10 years ago where they gave him a new look. It was a shame Marvel then decided to put him back into the goofy skull faced costume latter on.

Other bad guys that have had mini series or ongoing series:

Sabertooth
    Bullseye
    Mystique
    Thanos
    Apocoylypse
    Loki
    Doctor Doom
    Baron Zemo
    The Sinister Syndicate (The Deadly Foes of Spider Man mini series)
    Last edited by Zero Hunter; 12-05-2015 at 09:12 AM.

The Loki miniseries was already mentioned, but I'd add to it Loki's adventures in Journey Into Mystery (622-645) Young Avengers, and Loki: Agent of Asgard. These collectively made a great Loki story.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post
    And most volumes of Thunderbolts have villains acting as heroes.superficially, but not truthfully. Especially the Ellis/Deodato run. I'd also suggest the current IIlluminati book, and the upcoming volume of Uncanny X-Men.

Another classic is the Hood miniseries, which is basically the Peter Parker of villain stories.
    Whatever you do, do not read the latest volume. It had the coolest team, but the WORST creative cohesiveness. It as pretty much constantly falling apart at the seams from issue 1.

Amazing Member

Thanos has had a few. Mephisto had one, believe it or not, back in the 80s.

Edited to add: The gold standards for Villain led series at the Big-2 are the original Thunderbolts (Zemo and the Masters of Evil, but there was a "redemption" thread in this), and Secret Six at the Distinguished Competition (just some messed up villains, the buddy villain thread with Deadshot and Catman was excellent, and the rivalry between nutcases Ragdoll and Mad Hatter is fantastic)
    Last edited by OldWestPaladin; 12-07-2015 at 12:03 PM.

Venom has had a few. Also the current Carnage run has started out really well.

The recent Loki: Agent of Asgard series was really good. Even the Axis tie-ins are worth reading I think. There is also "The Superior Foes of Spider-Man" Which follows the misadventures of a bunch of C-list villains, trying to make it big An Omnibus containing the entire series will be released in February.

Here is one of the greatest scenes in modern comics as well:

Dark Avengers? apart from the siege tie-ins they were pretty alright.
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

A couple of others:

Super Villain Team-Up: Modoks 11
    Identity Disk (featuring Deadpool, Sabertooth, Sandman, Vulture, Jugernaut, and Bullseye)