THE ILLUMINATI #1
writer. Joshua Williamson
artist. Shawn Crystal
colorist. John Rauch

spoilers:
BRIEF SYNOPSIS: Titania [Mary MacPherran] is trying to go straight. She's got a poorly paid security job at a local pawn shop, living from pay-check to pay-check and avoiding any and all temptations to return to a life of crime. That is all ruined when a failed burglarly of the pawn shop sees Titania placed (unfairly) into conflict with Luke Cage and Iron Fist [Danny Rand]; and an intervention by the Hood [Parker Robbins] who has a proposition for Titania...
~ cliffhanger: in jail the three wood-be-burglars are murdered by the man who hired them to bust up the shop: the Hood [grade: B+]
end of spoilers
~ cover: while it is a "generic" posed cover, the contrast on the white silouetted dead heroes, along with the rising green smoke from Enchantress makes it far more than "just" generic. It's inventive and clever, introducing the new cast for new readers in a fun way. [grade: A-]

LOVED
1. the "idealised" flashback to Titania/Crusher vs. the world. Very Superior Foes of Spiderman-esq; contrasting the truth with reality.
2. Titania taking a full gun blast to the face and not even flinching. BAD ASS!!
3. the focus being on Titania for the first issue
4. the image of the whole Illuminati together, YESS!!!

LIKED
1. the art. I don't know Crystal's work previously, but I enjoy what I see here. There is an "underdog" feel to it, that works so well with the focus on mary.
2. the relationship between Titania and Crusher seemed genuinely believable
3. She-Hulk appearing, a reference to her battle against Titania at the end of her most recent solo series.
4. the burglar's hats were cute
5. YEY Luke Cage and Iron Fist cameo!!!
6. the silhouette of Iron Fist vs. Titania, cool image
7. this new Hood persona/plan has me curious

DISLIKED
1. man, She-Hulk looked EVIL when she appeared (but maybe that was the point?)

OVERALL
A very solid start to a potentially very exciting comic. Both the dialogue and art gel well together and the story focus on Titania was a good "window" into the overall plot. It wasn't a home run, but it engrossed me nonetheless. There are some wonderful contrasts to the original Thunderbolts series, which has me very, VERY excited indeed.
~ rating: 4 out of 5 [grade: A-]