View Poll Results: What grade would you give this issue?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 out of 5 [A+/A]

0 0%
  • 4 out of 5 [A-/B+]

2 50.00%
  • 3 out of 5 [B/B-/C+/C]

1 25.00%
  • 2 out of 5 [C-/D+]

1 25.00%
  • 1 out of 5 [D/D-/F]

0 0%

REVIEW: the Illuminati #1

THE ILLUMINATI #1
    writer. Joshua Williamson
    artist. Shawn Crystal
    colorist. John Rauch

spoilers:
    BRIEF SYNOPSIS: Titania [Mary MacPherran] is trying to go straight. She's got a poorly paid security job at a local pawn shop, living from pay-check to pay-check and avoiding any and all temptations to return to a life of crime. That is all ruined when a failed burglarly of the pawn shop sees Titania placed (unfairly) into conflict with Luke Cage and Iron Fist [Danny Rand]; and an intervention by the Hood [Parker Robbins] who has a proposition for Titania...
    ~ cliffhanger: in jail the three wood-be-burglars are murdered by the man who hired them to bust up the shop: the Hood [grade: B+]
    end of spoilers
    ~ cover: while it is a "generic" posed cover, the contrast on the white silouetted dead heroes, along with the rising green smoke from Enchantress makes it far more than "just" generic. It's inventive and clever, introducing the new cast for new readers in a fun way. [grade: A-]

LOVED
    1. the "idealised" flashback to Titania/Crusher vs. the world. Very Superior Foes of Spiderman-esq; contrasting the truth with reality.
    2. Titania taking a full gun blast to the face and not even flinching. BAD ASS!!
    3. the focus being on Titania for the first issue
    4. the image of the whole Illuminati together, YESS!!!

LIKED
    1. the art. I don't know Crystal's work previously, but I enjoy what I see here. There is an "underdog" feel to it, that works so well with the focus on mary.
    2. the relationship between Titania and Crusher seemed genuinely believable
    3. She-Hulk appearing, a reference to her battle against Titania at the end of her most recent solo series.
    4. the burglar's hats were cute
    5. YEY Luke Cage and Iron Fist cameo!!!
    6. the silhouette of Iron Fist vs. Titania, cool image
    7. this new Hood persona/plan has me curious

DISLIKED
    1. man, She-Hulk looked EVIL when she appeared (but maybe that was the point?)

OVERALL
    A very solid start to a potentially very exciting comic. Both the dialogue and art gel well together and the story focus on Titania was a good "window" into the overall plot. It wasn't a home run, but it engrossed me nonetheless. There are some wonderful contrasts to the original Thunderbolts series, which has me very, VERY excited indeed.
    ~ rating: 4 out of 5 [grade: A-]

"We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Sorry but I disagree, I think this first issue has not been particularly good, if a comparison with the first issue of the Thunderbolts in 1997 is done, you will notice the big differences between one series and the other one, for start the script (with all the characters treated equally until the final surprise), then the art (it is difficult to compare Shawn Crystal with Mark Bagley, they are different styles) and finally that in this first issue of Illuminati and knowing that it is assumed that we are dealing with a team already formed and out of nowhere, everything is focused around a single character rather than explain how all members of the team come together is a mistake, it is not bad a little explanation of Titania situation but it is something that should happen a few issues after and not from the first issue, because you have the doubt about whatever happens will all the members of that team, it is suggests that basically the main characters are just Titania and the Hood while the others are simply there and little more, if next issues does not change anything, I'm afraid we'll have one of the first series canceled.

Believe me, I wish I liked the book but every time I try to read, my opinion is always the same.

To be fair you've been throwing shade on the comic since it was announced, so I'm not too surprised you didn't enjoy it. Could the lack of Amora have anything to do with it
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 12-05-2015 at 07:35 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    To be fair you've been throwing shade on the comic since it was announced, so I'm not too surprised you didn't enjoy it. Could the lack of Amora have anything to do with it
    Even if Amora the Enchantress was in the first focused character issue instead of Titania, I would have been said the same.

If a book that it is supposed to go focused on a team, all of them have more or less their space however small, everything revolves around a single character in the beginning, then something is wrong because you are thinking about what kind of book it is, comics like Suicide Squad, Secret Six or the Thunderbolts at their time, deals with a team and all of that in the first issue with each character with their time and space and this Illuminati book lacks of it.

I really hope issue 2 improves issue 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_1981 View Post
    Even if Amora the Enchantress was in the first focused character issue instead of Titania, I would have been said the same.
    Only time will tell...

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Only time will tell...
    Probably but for sure I will have been said the same, I like Titania and I like to see her being more than She-Hulk´s Punching Bag.