Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Default Batman & TMNT #1 Preview

http://comicbook.com/2015/12/05/firs...tles-1/#Image4

Well I'll be damned, first Batman story by Tynion that I don't find terrible. If he can refrain of using his usual pitfalls (poor attempts at humor and self awareness, cliched characterizations) this could be great.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I'm really not a fan of that art at all, I don't know if I'll be picking this up.

Always Rakzo

Boy, I never thought that a team-up between Batman and the TMNT would be boring but here we are.

Williams' work was the saving grace.

I actually thought it was pretty fun.

I've never really been a Freddie Williams fan, but his art was great in this.

(Hate that Batmobile design, though)

I really enjoyed this. Comic crossovers that blend two brands are usually incredibly run-of-the-mill, all hit the same beats, and generally don't provide anything terribly memorable IMO. But this might prove to be an exception. The art didn't bother me a ton but I didn't like this Batmobile either and Batman looks too bulky. I was surprised how clearly this little event has already stated where it stands in Batman continuity: after Damian leaves for the Year of Blood and before Endgame. There was even a Powers namedrop in there. This crossover is actually canon in Batman's universe which is something else refreshing.

I thought the Turtles were written well. I loved them battling Killer Croc in the sewers. It seems like such an obvious choice in hindsight and that was a clever way to get them acquainted with Gotham. I didn't think Batman and Shredder would meet in the first issue but it was just enough to get me excited for their inevitable showdown later in this series. I didn't think Splinter would be making the dimensional journey too but I expect some really entertaining chemistry between him and Bruce. I wonder which/if other Batman villains will get mixed up in it? Next month is the obligatory "the heroes fight each other!" issue of every crossover. I think this is going to be a really fun one.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Yeah I was quite surprised by the current bat continuity stuff too, would this be classed canon then?
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Aspiring Underachiever Turn the Page's Avatar

I loved the bit with Mike and Raph ordering pizza.

"Update: Maybe I can't reach it."

I enjoyed this first issue, looking forward to the next

BANNED

The Shredder showing up this early made me giggle like a schoolgirl.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    The Shredder showing up this early made me giggle like a schoolgirl.
    Same! Batman meeting the Shredder is what I was excited to see the most when I found out about this series

It was a fun issue. Great touch with Croc encountering the Turtles in the Sewer

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

This was a really fun issue so I'm looking forward to the rest of them.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

How many issues is this? I thought it would be a one shot.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

I've finally got round to reading this. I quite liked it. Batman meeting Shredder put a smile on my face! Not entirely sold on the art. I wasn't a fan of the Batmobile either!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    How many issues is this? I thought it would be a one shot.
    6 issues