Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1
    Extraordinary Member jackolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,483

    Default ANAD Avengers #. 1+2 Spoilers

    Boy, this book doesn't get much love on here.

    In the first book Mr Gryphon gets Warbringer to collect three items. He appears to have all 3 by the subway clash, then we see Mr Gryphons interference stopping Thors hammer punching a hole in Warbringer, and Warbringer leaves. (Madam Masque is also collecting artifacts in Invincible Iron Man, with Masque having some pretty awesome powers of her own). It doesn't look like the Avengers can beat this guy Warbringer.

    Another curiosity about Avengers, is that both issues #1 and 2 are designated "#1 2015", and "#2 2015", but no other ANAD books are including the 2015 year. I wonder why that is?

    Also, it looks like this Avengers arc is before the FCBD ANAD Avengers, because this arc is their first fight together.
    Last edited by jackolover; 12-02-2015 at 11:32 PM.

  2. #2
    The Celestial Dragon Tien Long's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NY/NJ Area
    Posts
    1,547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Boy, this book doesn't get much love on here.

    In the first book Mr Gryphon gets Warbringer to collect three items. He appears to have all 3 by the subway clash, then we see Mr Gryphons interference stopping Thors hammer punching a hole in Warbringer, and Warbringer leaves. (Madam Masque is also collecting artifacts in Invincible Iron Man, with Masque having some pretty awesome powers of her own). It doesn't look like the Avengers can beat this guy Warbringer.

    Another curiosity about Avengers, is that both issues #1 and 2 are designated "#1 2015", and "#2 2015", but no other ANAD books are including the 2015 year. I wonder why that is?

    Also, it looks like this Avengers arc is before the FCBD ANAD Avengers, because this arc is their first fight together.
    Yeah, I was wondering for someone to put up a review of this book. For me, this was the best read of this week. Out of all of the Avengers stories that have come out during ANAD, this felt the most superheroic and most "Avenger"-y. Some of my favorite points:

    - YES! LIBERTY SCIENCE CENTER!!!!! As a kid from Northern New Jersey who has fond memories of that place, I can't tell you how much I gushed over seeing it in an Avengers comic. My only wish was that the dark tunnel ride somehow made into this issue. Also, as someone who often went to Jersey City, it was great to hear about the Grove PATH station! Jersey pride bay-bee!

    - Oh, I do like this dynamic between Nova and Ms. Marvel! Hang in there, Sam! You're doing fine! Moreover, I liked the panel that had Nova, Ms. Marvel, and Miles together. It was a brief thing, but it was a nice shout-out to the new members of the team. I remember the complaints people had concerning the youth of these characters, that they are too inexperienced. Thinking it over, I'm pretty excited to see where they will go.

    - It was cool to see Ms. Marvel in awe a little bit when she was in Captain America's arms. She's starstruck to be sure, but it reminded me who Sam Wilson was. We all talk about Sam being the new Captain America. But I suddenly remembered that he was also The Falcon, who served on the Avengers for a couple of decades. He more than deserves to be a member (and perhaps a mentor) of the team.

    - Great fight between Avengers and Warbringer in the sewers. Again, just classic superheroics.

    - Who is this Mr. Gryphons? Someone new? Man, it seems like all of the ANAD books are rolling out new villains.

    In any case, great stuff. Can't wait for the next issue!
    "I am a man of peace."

    "A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

  3. #3
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    93

    Default

    Terrible quality compared to last 10 years of Avengers.

  4. #4
    Astonishing Member Xalfrea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,567

    Default

    Well no duh. This is a new Avengers that's only had a few months so far. Comparing a few months to 10 years is like saying that a little girl who's only played piano for two years sucks compared to Beethoven.

    At least give the new stuff time to shine first before comparing.

  5. #5
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,310

    Default

    Yeah, this has been incredibly mediocre. Third rate villain that is incredibly generic looking for a generic MacGuffin to do generic evil stuff and destroying the world for...reasons (?), no matter how much Marvel tries to push Sam Alexander because of Loeb, he always comes off as a bland Peter Parker wannabe and Ms. Marvel comes off here as incredibly annoying and whining (haven't read her solo, but I doubt she was written that way there if she became that popular).

    Hell, say what you want about Bendis, but at least he gave a good reason for the group to come together and had an explanation as to why most of the characters were there, this team feels random and forced (and at least partially editorially mandated).

  6. #6
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Yeah, I was wondering for someone to put up a review of this book. For me, this was the best read of this week. Out of all of the Avengers stories that have come out during ANAD, this felt the most superheroic and most "Avenger"-y.
    Yes, definitely. I liked this issue quite a bit. I'm loving this mix of characters and it's clear this is going to be a fun team to follow. I also love how traditionally 'superheroic' this is. Modern pacing aside, it's almost like a Silver Age comic in some respects. For instance, I absolutely loved the moment when Ms. Marvel stepped in to confront the Warbringer. It's such a classic, fist-pump superhero moment. I think this is exactly what the main Avengers books should be after Hickman and Bendis - a book the revels in the kind of straight-up superheroics that have kind of fallen by the wayside since Busiek's run.

    I just wonder who Mr. Gryphon will turn out to be? I almost wonder if it's going to be Loki in disguise, which would be a very fitting foe to bring this new team together.

  7. #7
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Hell, say what you want about Bendis, but at least he gave a good reason for the group to come together and had an explanation as to why most of the characters were there, this team feels random and forced (and at least partially editorially mandated).
    Every Avengers team has been editorially mandated so it'd be wrong to perceive this any differently. As for this team, as they haven't officially formed yet, I think we'll have to wait an issue at least before we decide whether the group has a "good reason" to come together.

  8. #8
    Ultimate Member MindofShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    16,675

    Default

    i liked it. Its serviceable.
    Black Panther Appreciation Blog: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/

    T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Every Avengers team has been editorially mandated
    I mean in the sense of some of them being there only because editorial told the writer to, not because the writer seems to have any interest in writing them. Granted, this has happened before (with Hickman it was obvious that Spock and Wolverine were only there on editorial orders, just to mention a more recent example), but it doesn't mean I have to enjoy it if the writer doesn't do a good job in using them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    . As for this team, as they haven't officially formed yet, I think we'll have to wait an issue at least before we decide whether the group has a "good reason" to come together.
    I can only judge what was presented so far, and it was underwhelming. Hickman and Bendis got a lot of flack with a lot less motive.

  10. #10
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    I mean in the sense of some of them being there only because editorial told the writer to, not because the writer seems to have any interest in writing them. Granted, this has happened before (with Hickman it was obvious that Spock and Wolverine were only there on editorial orders, just to mention a more recent example), but it doesn't mean I have to enjoy it if the writer doesn't do a good job in using them.
    Judging by the banter and interplay between them, I get the feeling that Waid likes these characters quite a bit and is absolutely enjoying having them together.

  11. #11
    Astonishing Member Xalfrea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Ms. Marvel comes off here as incredibly annoying and whining (haven't read her solo, but I doubt she was written that way there if she became that popular).
    I can understand that, though IMO if you do read her solo and consider where her character is at this point, then her behavior and attitude here up against Nova can make sense.

  12. #12
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,939

    Default

    Does anyone else feel kubert is kind of phoning it in? His work on renew your vows was AMAZING but these seems...almost sloppy? that being said, my boy waid is killing...but im kinda wanting Mahmud to step in right about now...

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member sifighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,424

    Default

    While I wish Mahmud Asrar was doing more art on this series then Kubert, but overall I'm enjoying the first two issues so far, although I felt the 1st issue was a little slow but I'm glad that we have the full team together by the end of the 2nd issue. While I somewhat like Warbringer since I read him orginally in Duggan's Nova run I am much more interested in Mr. Gryphon since we know nothing about him except that he now owns Avengers tower and has some sort of power.

    Besides that I like the cast of characters involved, especially Nova and Ms. Marvel who I actually enjoy watching as they argue over how they save heroes. Overall I hope this series continues to have a good first arc and I will continue reading this series.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

  14. #14
    Astonishing Member Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,526

    Default

    Honestly, there wasn't much to talk about. The villains are still generic and the plot didn't advance much. Waid and Kubert are capable of so much better. This and Extraordinary have been the biggest disappointments of ANAD Marvel so far. Two fairly decompressed series that are only slight new takes on past stories. Nothing truly all-new or all-different about them if you ask me.

  15. #15
    Extraordinary Member jackolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,483

    Default

    One of the things about ANAD has been the slow burn, with very little insane threat. (Uncanny Avengers was odd in that it destroyed Earth civilization in its first issue, which is going to be reversed as soon as it happened). It's a lazily contrived first step introduction of the ANAD. The universe is in a relatively safe position, as I think Marvel won't be considering anything like an "Infinity" style threat any time soon, at this stage. So we are going to have to put up with slow, mundane, ordinary, super hero fare for a while till, in decades time, something really bizarre happens again. I hope I'm wrong, and we see something extraordinary pop out of the woodwork suddenly, showing us the state of play was just lulling us into a false sense of security, because ....
    Last edited by jackolover; 12-03-2015 at 04:59 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •