Default Recommend comics

So was wondering if any here might steer me toward a few more comics that I might easily have overlooked. I've got a desire for something fantasy, but general sci-fi or fantasy is equally loved. I generally avoid the big DC/Marvel super-heroes, not out of dislike of them but simply because they present such a complex history of reboost/writes/alternate timelines etc... that its just way too much for me to get into them.

I've already got my eye on some of the Conan offerings (rather complicated with how huge and varied its publication history is) as well as a few others; but I'd welcome some further suggestions. I tend to prefer a more serious or at least well written story and I'm one for consistent art quality rather than one that jumps around (eg "anime" style silly simple arts). If the artwork is really well done its a major bonus over simpler approaches, but if the story is good then that's enough for me.

As an idea this is a list of comics I've read and enjoyed (some of which I might still be reading through)
    Dungeons and Dragons Classics/current
    The Zoo Hunters (Aspen)
    Witchblade (Top Cow)
    Ubar (Avatar)
    Tokyo Ghost
    Road (DC)
    Ring of the Seven Worlds (Humanoids)
    Red Sonja
    Requiem Vampire Knight (Millsverse)
    Raw Queens (Image)
    Night of 1000 Wolves (IDW)
    Monstress (Image)
    Metabarons (Humanoids)
    Lady Mechanik (Benitez)
    The Last Unicorn (IDW)
    Just a Pilgrim (Dynamite)
    High Moon (Bottled Lighting)
    Dragon Resurrection (Dark Horse)
    Death Vigil (Image - Top Cow)
    Copperhead (Image)
    Creature Cops (IDW)
    Child of the Storm (Humanoids)
    The Autumnlands: Tooth & Claw (Image)
    Soulfire (Aspen)
    Aliens(Dark Horse)

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Here. We. Go.

Y-The last man (Vertigo)
    B.P.R.D. (Dark Horse)
    Lobster Johnson (Dark Horse)
    Red Sonja (Gail Simone)
    Lazarus (Image)

I would give Birthright from Image a shot, the story(Joshua Williamson) and art(Andrei Bressan) are both excellent.

The 2 Elric volumes from Titan books (The Ruby Throne and Strombringer)
    The Sixth Gun-supernatural fantasy in the old west) from Oni
    The 6 Voyages of Lone Sloane from Titan (European sci-fi classic by Druillet in an English edition-if you like Metabarons you should dig the ethos of Druillet).
    The Hellboy/BPRD Mignlaverse stuff from Dark Horse
    Descender from Image
    Five Ghosts from Image

if willing to check out slightly older material still available in collected editions

Secret History from Archaia
    Technopriests from Les Humanoides
    Azrach or The Incal from Moebius and Jodo/Moebius (Les Huamnoides has editions, a new Moebius collection is due next year from Dark Horse)
    The First Kingdom by Jack Katz (new editions form Titan are being released)

-M

Usagi Yojimbo is always my number one recomendation. It's my 'desert island' comic: action and adventure, fantastic characters, comedy, fantasy, horror, tons of actual historical detail... it's not particularly flashy or attention-grabbing, just old-fashioned solid storytelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Usagi Yojimbo is always my number one recomendation. It's my 'desert island' comic: action and adventure, fantastic characters, comedy, fantasy, horror, tons of actual historical detail... it's not particularly flashy or attention-grabbing, just old-fashioned solid storytelling.
    I agree completely with you.

Right now the only other titles I can think of is The Adventure of Luther Arkwright/The Heart of Empire, Slaine, Judge Dredd, Ronin and Dreadstar. I'll think of something else though.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    The 6 Voyages of Lone Sloane from Titan (European sci-fi classic by Druillet in an English edition-if you like Metabarons you should dig the ethos of Druillet).
    Absolutely seconding this suggestion!
    Would also like to throw in ODY-C from Image. It's Fraction mangling Greek classics with truly stunning painted art by Christian Ward. A hardcore violent sci-fi, genderbent reimagining of the Odyssey with things like 1001 Nights thrown in for good measure. Crazy stuff, highly recommended if you like dense stuff like Lone Sloane mentioned aboved.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by overread View Post
    So was wondering if any here might steer me toward a few more comics that I might easily have overlooked. I've got a desire for something fantasy, but general sci-fi or fantasy is equally loved. I generally avoid the big DC/Marvel super-heroes, not out of dislike of them but simply because they present such a complex history of reboost/writes/alternate timelines etc... that its just way too much for me to get into them.

I've already got my eye on some of the Conan offerings (rather complicated with how huge and varied its publication history is) as well as a few others; but I'd welcome some further suggestions. I tend to prefer a more serious or at least well written story and I'm one for consistent art quality rather than one that jumps around (eg "anime" style silly simple arts). If the artwork is really well done its a major bonus over simpler approaches, but if the story is good then that's enough for me.

As an idea this is a list of comics I've read and enjoyed (some of which I might still be reading through)
    Dungeons and Dragons Classics/current
    The Zoo Hunters (Aspen)
    Witchblade (Top Cow)
    Ubar (Avatar)
    Tokyo Ghost
    Road (DC)
    Ring of the Seven Worlds (Humanoids)
    Red Sonja
    Requiem Vampire Knight (Millsverse)
    Raw Queens (Image)
    Night of 1000 Wolves (IDW)
    Monstress (Image)
    Metabarons (Humanoids)
    Lady Mechanik (Benitez)
    The Last Unicorn (IDW)
    Just a Pilgrim (Dynamite)
    High Moon (Bottled Lighting)
    Dragon Resurrection (Dark Horse)
    Death Vigil (Image - Top Cow)
    Copperhead (Image)
    Creature Cops (IDW)
    Child of the Storm (Humanoids)
    The Autumnlands: Tooth & Claw (Image)
    Soulfire (Aspen)
    Aliens(Dark Horse)
    With titles like this list you are already reading some of the best stuff out there. Do you know if the Last Unicorn ever got past #1?

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    With titles like this list you are already reading some of the best stuff out there. Do you know if the Last Unicorn ever got past #1?
    Last Unicorn was released as a 6 issue mini series then collected into a hardcover and later a trade.

-M

Fun-Eating Devil The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

The Ballad Of Halo Jones
    Locke & Key
    Concrete (just felt I should mention that this is much quieter and more 'real world' than most sci-fi/fantasy comics; the weird stuff mostly begins & ends with the titular character)
    The Spire
    Last edited by The Beast Of Yucca Flats; 12-07-2015 at 03:09 PM.