Thread: Digital Comics

All-New Member

Default Digital Comics

I've decided to switch fully to digital because of its convenience. I would just like to ask if you prefer single issues or collected editions for digital comics. Why? Thanks!

Usually one is cheaper than the other, and it's not always consistent. Also, usually when there's a sale one is cheaper than the other, and it's still not always consistent. I will buy whichever is cheaper. However, if both were priced the same you've got a decision to make. The collected edition will (should) have everything in order (if there are any crossover issues in the arc) and may have back matter, so there's a benefit to them. I do like seeing all the covers when browsing through singles, though, and some collected editions won't show the original cover at all, so there's a benefit to them. In the end, I buy whatever is cheapest.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    Usually one is cheaper than the other, and it's not always consistent. Also, usually when there's a sale one is cheaper than the other, and it's still not always consistent. I will buy whichever is cheaper. However, if both were priced the same you've got a decision to make. The collected edition will (should) have everything in order (if there are any crossover issues in the arc) and may have back matter, so there's a benefit to them. I do like seeing all the covers when browsing through singles, though, and some collected editions won't show the original cover at all, so there's a benefit to them. In the end, I buy whatever is cheapest.
    Thanks, Hero! I agree with you with what you said about seeing the covers when browsing through singles.

Incredible Member

It's pretty much just like the physical world. Sometimes the singles have bonus material not in the collections, and sometimes the collections have the exclusive material. Sometimes it works out cheaper to buy the collections, and sometimes the singles. Frustrating, but a fact of the hobby since the 1980s.

Spectacular Member

Well, it is a shame that digital comics cost in many cases same than paper copies. But even in the case they cost as they do about 0.99-1.50 a copy when in sale, I'd rather prefer investing that money in a physical copy, even something from the dollar rack. I have heard of people who have thousands of comics on their comixology account. Beseech the Lord they do not go out of business because your investment will be reduced to your memories of what you read. Even as a only reader fan (no investor), it is good to have a paper comic to reread, specially whether it is your favorite series.

I hear what you're saying, Pat. But, most comics really won't be worth anything. I've sold off thousands of comics in a huge effort to reduce the amount of space they were taking up. Most were not of any value. The ones that were worth something (keys), I kept. I'm down to one long box of keepers. I LOVE that every time I buy a new digital comic, there is no additional space in my house that it takes up.

comiXology going out of business is a risk, but how big of one? Under the logo it even now says "an Amazon company." That's a monster! I'd say that risk is low. What's the risk that my house could catch fire, or be broken into, or be flooded, etc? I'd like to think even the combined risk of all those things is low, too. But physical comics aren't without any risk.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Well, it is a shame that digital comics cost in many cases same than paper copies. But even in the case they cost as they do about 0.99-1.50 a copy when in sale, I'd rather prefer investing that money in a physical copy, even something from the dollar rack. I have heard of people who have thousands of comics on their comixology account. Beseech the Lord they do not go out of business because your investment will be reduced to your memories of what you read. Even as a only reader fan (no investor), it is good to have a paper comic to reread, specially whether it is your favorite series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    I hear what you're saying, Pat. But, most comics really won't be worth anything. I've sold off thousands of comics in a huge effort to reduce the amount of space they were taking up. Most were not of any value. The ones that were worth something (keys), I kept. I'm down to one long box of keepers. I LOVE that every time I buy a new digital comic, there is no additional space in my house that it takes up.

comiXology going out of business is a risk, but how big of one? Under the logo it even now says "an Amazon company." That's a monster! I'd say that risk is low. What's the risk that my house could catch fire, or be broken into, or be flooded, etc? I'd like to think even the combined risk of all those things is low, too. But physical comics aren't without any risk.
    Yeah, I'm much more worried about my physical comics than digital. Even if Comixology somehow went out of business without providing a way to backup all your purchases, every comic book ever created is available online. That'd be the only circumstance where I'd consider illegally downloading anything. That's why it's wasteful to ever backup anything or even think about DRM. My purchases are forever safe, as long as the Internet survives.

Fantastic Member

I'm a tactile reader. However, more often than not, I can find print cheaper than digital.