Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default YOU'RE the new Superman editor; construct a line

Give us creative teams and general story/tonal directions ('this is is hard scifi, this is all ages, etc')

No more than 5 titles. No creators who are Marvel exclusive or won't work for the Big 2 (which means Chris Roberson, Al Ewing, two perennial favorites, are off limits).

First of all I'd get rid of Batman/Superman and Superman/Wonder Woman titles. I'm also not going to "dream" much, but basically some creative teams that I find likely considering current situation.

Superman: Taylor and Porter. Smaller scope (not about a new threat to whole universe every few days), more character moments. Some scifi elements to highlight Metropolis as the city of tomorrow.
    Action Comics: drawn and written by Kuder with occasional fill in by Kollins if necessary. Crazy action adventure?
    Supergirl and Legion: same creative team as last arc. During some training sessions in academy whole school gets thrown into the future where they meet Legion. Light scifi.
    Bizzaro: same creative team as now. All ages stuff, might not be an ongoing, but 4-6 issues yearly miniseries focusing on crazy adventures of Bizzaro and Jimmy.

Astonishing Member

Realistic/reasonable choices for sure.

I'll go a little further afield -- unrealistic but not unreasonable, if you get my drift.

Superman - Written by Tom King, drawn by Aaron Kuder. An attempt to do something very large and gain some traction. A central book, one that is largely un-moored from greater continuity but which ground the rest of the line.

Action Comics - Steve Orlando, Chris Sprouse. A book that lives up to it's name.

Superman/Batman - This book has too much sales potential not to keep going, even if it's currently floundering. Written and drawn by Bryan Hitch because that seems to be his main interest in JLA, anyway. Mostly insulated from the rest of the Superman line -- just fun, barely in continuity stories about these two.

Supergirl - Written by Genevieve Valentine, drawn by Karl Kershel. Valentine has an amazing range, a strong voice, and an impressive command of the craft. Kerschel...nuff said.

Superboy - Written by Alex Paknadel, drawn by Barnaby Bagenda. Soul Searching Superboy in a cyberpunk atmo. Your new favorite book.

BONUS - I don't consider the Legion of Super-Heroes to be a Superman book, but if it existed, I'd want Tom King and Jorge Jimenez on it. If that seems like too many books, get him to an exclusive so that he's got room for it.

Very good point about Hitch, it makes sense but sadly he seams to want to do that long JLA run that will likely take 10 years to complete.
    There were mentions about Karl leaving Gotham Academy. If he stays in DC then Supergirl book would really be something that I'd want to see him on, if I hadn't forgotten about him leaving Gotham Academy then I would have considered him in "my line" too.
    Side topic, do you personally know Paknadel? I sorta got that vibe from your posts in threads about his work at BOOM!
    Tom King should get exclusive, period.

Astonishing Member

DC not getting Tom King to sign an exclusive will be their biggest loss since Morrison went to Marvel, in my opinion (I don't consider Hickman a loss, as he's never done work for DC).

And yup, I do know Alex personally. He's a good friend. But we became friends because of his work -- because I was so impressed with it. Having gotten to know him, I do think he'll be one of the bigger names in the industry soon.

Damn, my reply didnt post, either CBR or my browser screwed up.

Okay, so once again for the first time!

First off, the Super-line is in desperate need of direction and unity, so after I got my creative teams together our first task would be to sit down and knock out a Superman Bible, with what can and cannot be done, central themes for individual characters and the line as a whole, and ideas of where we want to be in three, five, and seven years. This Bible would be loose enough to take changes and adjustments into account, but provide the foundation everyone works from and the direction the line needs to be headed in. Short term needs cant be ignored, but we'd be playing the long game, with the intention of getting Superman back into the top of the sales charts where he belongs, and that's something that will take time.

No crossovers for at least one year. I'd fight for a minimum of at least two years but settle for one year crossover free. Each book needs time to build an identity of its own and crossovers seem to hurt the line more than they help.

The basic mandate for the line would be this: "make it fun!" Superman is a fun character and his books seem to do well when they're not trying to be overly serious or edgy or bleak. They shouldnt be straight up comedy, but the books should be fun. They should also be all ages; my nine year old son should be able to enjoy a Superman book as much as I do, and I should be able to enjoy it as much as a sixty year old life-long fan. So no overtly sexual scenes, directly shown drug use, excessive swearing, or pointless gore (though such things can be hinted at and implied so long as they'll get under a child's radar). Stories can and should be intelligent, complex, have emotional depth and carry ramifications, but they need not be either Game of Thrones or Care Bears.

My talents' first task: read everything Morrison, Maggin, Siegel, Shuster, and a couple others ever wrote about the character, as well as the greatest hits of the Golden, Silver, Bronze, and Modern Ages. Superman is the tough as nails champion of the people just as much as he's the super scientist just as much as he's the godfather of heroes, and everyone's work should take that into account. You dont tug on his damn cape, and yes he is smarter than all of us. Anyone writes Superman like an average person, they're fired on the spot. He's not "Normal Guy With Powers!" he's friggin SUPERMAN and dont forget it!

My list of talent (such as it is) is also assuming Morrison isnt available. If he is, then he gets his choice of what to do and everything else can be adjusted around that.

So.

Action Comics
    . I'll keep Pak and Kulder on this one. Pak seems to be at his best when he's not bogged down by Events so I think he and Kulder would be fine. For this title, we'd focus on the SUPER more than the man, with big high concept stories; Superman charting another galaxy, evacuating a planet before it explodes, dealing with the politics of the 5th dimension, and/or cosmic entities like Imperiex, the Oracle, and Kismet. Stuff like that. Pak has proven more than capable of handling these sorts of things without losing sight of the human element with stories like Subterra and the Bizarro-World one shot so I think this would be right up his alley. Clark's typical supporting cast would play less of a role (note: less of a role doesnt mean no role at all) and his more fantastical supporting cast members would get to highlight (Shay Veritas, John Henry, New Gods, characters like that). The only real specific mandate for this title would be: "go as big as you can but keep it honest! The best Superman stories are about small, human experiences elevated to superhuman scope, so keep that in mind!" as well as "Not every story needs a villain. Sometimes its just Clark dealing with a crap situation like a flood or super nova. Not every Superman story needs a punching bag."

Superman. The more traditional Superman title, based largely in Metropolis with Clark's regular supporting cast and villains. This would be the book where Clark's personal relationships grow and evolve and get to be the focus. Given how the first issue of American Alien went, I'm tempted to give Landis this book but that would depend on how well he's able to play in the larger franchise sandbox. As for an artist, Im not sure. Someone with a strong, kinetic style who can make the standard, boring superhero fights look impressive again, who can work with Landis, and give Superman and his setting a strong visual. Most likely I'd hunt down an unknown from the indies (lower page rates too!) or possibly get Jock. My mandates for this title would be: "Keep the classic vibe and trappings, but make it feel contemporary." For example, make the Planet feel like a modern day institution, not a holdover from 1970. Given Landis' work in Chronicle and his background in film (which updates old ideas all the time) he seems like he'd be a great fit as long as he can keep his personal problems (I hear he's bipolar and a pain to work with) out of the office.

Men of Tomorrow. Everyone loves the rookie, t-shirt and jeans Superman. And everyone loves the wiser, gray-streaked, tough-old-man Superman, so we're gonna throw them together in a pulp inspired, time jumping, retro-futuristic team-up title! Young and old Superman, working together with the occasional help from current-day Superman and the Superpeople of the Fortress of Solidarity to fight threats from beyond yesterday or tomorrow in a cosmic buddy cop setup! Giant robots, alien nazis, and evil scientists! Two fisted street justice! This title would have a certain Golden Age period piece flare to it, akin to HG Wells meets Hickman. Not sure about the writer; given the flavor of this title I dont know who at DC could handle it. Once again, I'd likely be digging through the indies. Is Rick Remender (Black Science) available? I know his Captain America work was met with mixed results but I think he could do well here and he's finished with Marvel for the foreseeable future. My only mandate for this title: "Watch the Fleisher cartoons and let them inspire you every issue!" This book would almost be a monthly Elseworlds, so continuity isnt as important as telling a good story. Hopefully the people who like Superman but find his in-continuity stuff boring would get behind this one.

World's Finest. By King and Seeley. A team-up title for Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. The team-up titles are too profitable a concept to drop (even if they're not what they could be right now), and I think the Trinity in a ongoing has a lot of potential. King and Seeley have done such great work on Grayson that I'd let them go nuts, with the only mandate being "No one gets dissed so another character can be unjustly glorified (no Batgoding) and no mythos gets let out (dont ignore Diana)!"

Last Sun. So I know I said I'd keep the line all ages, but this would be an exception. This would be a full on Mature readers only, Vertigo-esque title that throws Superman into a morally gray world full of adult themes and problems. But make no mistake, even though the world around him is rough and ugly, Superman is still Superman. So let's throw him into the "real" world and see how he does without compromising himself. I'd make it a mini just to test the waters, and see how it goes from there. No idea about the creative team, but certainly someone from Vertigo or Image. I'd like to give Azzarello another shot (at least hear his ideas), but after "For Tomorrow" I dont know if fans could forgive him. I think I *might* be able to talk Robert Kirkman (Walking Dead, Invincible) into a interference-free, six issue stint, but it'd be a long shot. When Last Sun was finished, if it didnt perform well enough to become a full monthly, I'd switch it up to "Channel 52: Featuring Lois Lane" which I've talked about many times and would basically be "Gotham Central meets the rest of the DCU through the eyes of the reporters" and get back to the all ages treatment.
    Last edited by Ascended; 12-06-2015 at 12:48 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Already such good suggestions posted.

Superman- Written by Tom King, art by Marcial Toledano (mainly) and specials by Stuart Immonen and David Aja . I see the title being more tightly character driven. The continuity of the greater DCU holds little water here. It's just the story of Clark Kent, the Superman.

Note: if you haven't checked out Toledano's art yet then you haven't lived. As far as I can tell he's best known for the comic Ken Games. (http://www.monitocadaver.com/blog/?page_id=285) and more (http://static.planetebd.com/dynamicI...arge-10142.jpg) and more still (http://www.tebeosfera.com/pics/ART-F414-422-297-118.jpg) and last one I promise (http://www.todocoleccion.net/comics/...tone~x48443229) I call his style Pixar's older brother. The weight and dynamism behind his work is on Frank Quitely levels.

Action Comics - Written by Joe Keatinge, rotating art by Nick Dragotta, Aaron Kuder, and a fill in artist. This comic is like a big pulp scifi explosion. It's that itch that the majority of Superman fans say they just don't get scratched enough. Continuity be damned! Just write, and write well.

Supergirl - Written by (haven't quiet worked out) , art by Annie Wu. This book is all about exploration of both the world and one's self. It's Supergirl citizen of the world and beyond.

Steel inc. - Written by Marc Bernardin, art by more than likely Ben Oliver or maybe Gabriel Hernandez Walta (don't know his status) or Duncan Fegredo (with lots of popping color work). Shy away from the conventions of normal superhero comics. Strong focus on the idea that John isn't a traditional superhero but a forward thinking humanitarian who's looking for tomorrow in today. This book is the futurist comic book.

Batman/Superman - I'm not sure who but I know that I still want the book out there but with an almost nonexistent link to all other books.

Bonus Special books that come around every 3 or 4 months

Tales of the Superman or maybe The big book of Superman - Written by various people who wouldn't want to or can't write an ongoing (Morrison, Gaiman, Landis, and more) and also writers looking for their way in. Artist, same deal (Frank Quitely will be hunted down and pelted with money till he says yes) plus artist already in the Superman line. The book itself is about nearly anything you'd like that deals with our favorite hero's life. It's in continuity (ish/not really but who gives a f&ck). Other universes are more than welcome. Strange little tales are welcome. Tasteful adult themes are welcome. Mindbending philosophical questions are welcome. Bombastic tales of daring do are welcome. Little stories about the overlooked aspects of the world are welcome (I know Landis loves this sort of stuff). Whatever you got. Have at it.

I'll probably post variations when I have time later.

Edited
    Last edited by Superlad93; 12-06-2015 at 03:26 PM.

Do you mean that Seeley should draw World's Finest?

All books in the line are given a hands-off edict in regards to large crossovers for at least two years. With that said:

Action Comics: Greg Pak and Aaron Kuder. The exact same tone and feel of the book before Doomed. Except they'd be able to use Lois more than they have to this point, and tasked to create a larger supporting cast, with inspiration from the supporting cast of the 90s.

Superman: Tom King and Kenneth Rocafort. This is the big concept sci-fi book. Lots of space adventures, alien threats, and the like.

Superman/Wonder Woman: Tim Seeley and Terry Dodson (sometimes both art and story by Seeley). A more lighthearted feel to it but the same sci-fi/fantasy trappings to it. Is often steeped more in Wonder Woman's lore for exposure.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-06-2015 at 01:48 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    Realistic/reasonable choices for sure.

I'll go a little further afield -- unrealistic but not unreasonable, if you get my drift.

Superman - Written by Tom King, drawn by Aaron Kuder. An attempt to do something very large and gain some traction. A central book, one that is largely un-moored from greater continuity but which ground the rest of the line.

Action Comics - Steve Orlando, Chris Sprouse. A book that lives up to it's name.

Superman/Batman - This book has too much sales potential not to keep going, even if it's currently floundering. Written and drawn by Bryan Hitch because that seems to be his main interest in JLA, anyway. Mostly insulated from the rest of the Superman line -- just fun, barely in continuity stories about these two.

Supergirl - Written by Genevieve Valentine, drawn by Karl Kershel. Valentine has an amazing range, a strong voice, and an impressive command of the craft. Kerschel...nuff said.

Superboy - Written by Alex Paknadel, drawn by Barnaby Bagenda. Soul Searching Superboy in a cyberpunk atmo. Your new favorite book.

BONUS - I don't consider the Legion of Super-Heroes to be a Superman book, but if it existed, I'd want Tom King and Jorge Jimenez on it. If that seems like too many books, get him to an exclusive so that he's got room for it.
    Wow, I'd probably get all those books (and this is coming from someone who hasn't been following ANY Super books for some time.
    I think I'll give this a try as well. The books I'd publish would be:

SUPERMAN: move Greg Pak and Aaron Kuder here. Bring back Superman's powers, secret identity, and the Daily Planet's staff as supporting cast. I'm actually not sure I'd keep Pak, but Kuder should stay for sure. I'd actually love to see Tom King's take on the book as well.
    ACTION COMICS: I'd have Superman be more of a main theme than a main character. this book would focus a lot on developing some of his supporting cast like Steel and it would have some arcs set in different realities. President Superman would be a major recurring character. I'd like to see someone like Howard Porter as artist but I'm not sure on the writer yet.
    SUPERGIRL: Written by Jen Van Meter with art by Pete Woods. Make this fun, lighthearted but also full of adventure and new discoveries. Explore Krypton's history and culture and their differences to Earth's as Kara tries to live life as a human girl.

These would be the absolute musts. One flagship book (Superman), another book more focused on world building and developing different characters (Action Comics) and a Supergil solo. Superboy could also have his own book, but I think I'd rather have him rehabilitated in a Young Justice comic than get another solo so soon.
    I also think Legion desperately needs to come back and I can't think of anyone I'd like better than Tom King to helm it. Kenneth Rocafort would be my first choice as the artist.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended;1648187
    [I
    Men of Tomorrow[/I]. Everyone loves the rookie, t-shirt and jeans Superman.
    I've assumed that, given my current status is "living," I must therefore be part of the category of "everyone."

As such, your assertion is completely wrong. Not "everyone" loves the t-shirt and jeans Superman. I enjoyed Morrison's take on the character, but this current One Percenter NotSoSuperman is awful.

If you're talking about the original concept as Morrison conceived it, that would be fun to revisit in a back up, maybe even as a regular series.

Here's what I'd do:

Action Comics: returns to original numbering, focuses on the Real Steel Deal: stories jump from various Earths like the original Earth-1, a newly restored post-COIE Earth, All-Star Superman, and others. Various creators per arc.

Superman: returns to original numbering, features the adventures of a classic uniform wearing Superman in an all-ages, continuity-free title that is similar to the digital Adventures of Superman. Written by Mark Waid, art by various, though opening arc is drawn by Jose Luiz Garcia Lopez.

Clark Kent: Superman: Focuses on the Earth-Zero Superman, wearing a new, capeless uniform with some of his powers restored. He can be different and unique because the context of the true version of Superman exists in two other titles. Don't care who the creators are since I won't be reading this title.

Trinity: Batman/Superman and Superman/Wonder Woman are cancelled and replaced with this title. Again, don't care about the creators, as I won't be reading.

Supergirl: hopefully this title will be similar to the TV show, maybe Gail Simone as writer?

Superboy & The Legion of Superheroes: Picks up from Morrison's set-up in his Action run, chronicling young Clark's adventures as Superboy with the LoSH. Written by Sholly Fisch.

Extraordinary Member

I would have 2 focuses-reestablishing Superman as a hero people and other heroes look up to, and building up the supporting cast and family. Only having 5 titles will make the latter harder, since the more titles that go to the 'family' the less room there is to develop the human cast in Metropolis. My ideal would be the way it was in the late 90s, when there were 4 Superman books and 3 spinoffs starring the family, so many characters were able to get their dues.

With that in mind I'd put all of the extended 'Super' family into one book called Superman Family or Team Superman. With the way Kon has been ruined and the desperate need of a change in direction for Kara this might be the only way to go for them at this point. Plus it would be a safe place to reintroduce Linda Danvers and bring Steel back into the fold. It could either be a team book or a book of short stories about each character. At this point I don't think any of them are ready for another solo, but this could build them all back to that point.

With that book covering the 'Team Superman' the remaining 3-4 books would be free to focus on Superman and his immediate supporting cast and there would be plenty of room for development of the Daily Planet staff, the Metropolis police force, and other Metropolis characters like Bibo.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Do you mean that Seeley should draw World's Finest?
    If he wants. I'd be happy with him just co-plotting with King, as he has been in Grayson, but if he wanted to be on art I wouldn't say no. Like I said, those guys have earned more than enough leeway to (largely) chart their own course and I dont believe in heavy handed editorial methods. I have a very clear-cut idea of what I would want my line to look like but that's basically just generalities, the details are up the creators and I encourage imagination and experimentation (as long as you dont break the basic guidelines). If Seeley didnt want the art job we'd find someone else. Howard Porter perhaps; his Superman issues have looked pretty good and I feel like he might be back on top of his game after his injury (inspiring story, Howard Porter). I've always thought Porter needed more depth in his art so I'd be picky about his inker and colorist though.

Quote Originally Posted by Xon-Ur View Post
    I've assumed that, given my current status is "living," I must therefore be part of the category of "everyone."

As such, your assertion is completely wrong. Not "everyone" loves the t-shirt and jeans Superman. I enjoyed Morrison's take on the character, but this current One Percenter NotSoSuperman is awful.
    Yes, I meant the character we saw in Morrison's opening Action arc; the young Clark who was still running around in a pair of work boots and Golden Age power levels fighting corrupt businessmen, not the current TRUTH Clark who has lost his powers and secret identity. Perhaps I should have been more clear on that, but I thought putting the word "rookie" in there was enough to define which t-shirt wearing Superman I meant. My bad.
    Last edited by Ascended; 12-06-2015 at 02:48 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

hahaa the lists are so full of white men. anyway please no Landis writing Superman, a guy that mess up and let his girlfriend dealing serious mental problems and say "oops" shouldn't be writing superman.
    *not calling anyone racist or sexist, just that th elists are extremely white and male. except of course supergirl
    *max landis, not offending him. he said that in a interview that people were so frustrated that it is was deleted. Just my personal opinion. it's not like superman is liking good writers wanting to write it

like exist female writers and artist out there too

Superman: Charlotte of Oz with help by kelly sue or kelly thompson or warren ellis. art by:Laura Braga
    whatever the writer wants that doesn't interfere with what gail is doing.

Action: Gail Simone , art by afua richardson. this book will co-star Lois Lane. for what I know simone pitched a superman story heavily feature Lois. I hope it gets picked up.

Supergirl: kate leth and/or noelle stevenson. art by alti firmansiah or/and emanuela lupachino. stories more like peter david and sterling gates supergirl. covers by yasmine putri

superboy: tom king and aaron kuder.

Trinity: rotating teams, very loose continuity. to start first arc by corinna bechko and gabriel hardman. art by Tula Lotay.

Daily planet: a ongoing or minis. by kate leth and brittney williams. oh too bad Marve nagged brittney williams. art by DELICIA WILLIAMS or AGNES GARBOWSKA. comics alliance has a big list of artists with cartoony style
    ALL AGES comic, cartoony style.

wasn't hard at all
    Last edited by Tayswift; 12-07-2015 at 07:04 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    If he wants. I'd be happy with him just co-plotting with King, as he has been in Grayson, but if he wanted to be on art I wouldn't say no. Like I said, those guys have earned more than enough leeway to (largely) chart their own course and I dont believe in heavy handed editorial methods. I have a very clear-cut idea of what I would want my line to look like but that's basically just generalities, the details are up the creators and I encourage imagination and experimentation (as long as you dont break the basic guidelines). If Seeley didnt want the art job we'd find someone else. Howard Porter perhaps; his Superman issues have looked pretty good and I feel like he might be back on top of his game after his injury (inspiring story, Howard Porter). I've always thought Porter needed more depth in his art so I'd be picky about his inker and colorist though.

Yes, I meant the character we saw in Morrison's opening Action arc; the young Clark who was still running around in a pair of work boots and Golden Age power levels fighting corrupt businessmen, not the current TRUTH Clark who has lost his powers and secret identity. Perhaps I should have been more clear on that, but I thought putting the word "rookie" in there was enough to define which t-shirt wearing Superman I meant. My bad.
    No, it's my fault. I missed "rookie" in there. Apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    hahaa the lists are so full of white men. anyway please no Landis writing Superman, a guy that mess up and let his girlfriend dealing serious mental problems and say "oops" shouldn't be writing superman.

like exist female writers and artist out there too

Superman: Charlotte of Oz with help by kelly sue or kelly thompson or warren ellis. art by:Laura Braga
    whatever the writer wants that doesn't interfere with what gail is doing.

Action: Gail Simone , art by afua richardson. this book will co-star Lois Lane. for what I know simone pitched a superman story heavily feature Lois. I hope it gets picked up.

Supergirl: kate leth and/or noelle stevenson. art by yasmine putri or/and emanuela lupachino. stories more like peter david and sterling gates supergirl.

superboy: tom king and aaron kuder.

Trinity: rotating teams, very loose continuity. to start first arc by corinna bechko and gabriel hardman. art by Tula Lotay.

Daily planet: a ongoing or minis. by kate leth and brittney williams. oh too bad Marve nagged brittney williams. art by DELICIA WILLIAMS or AGNES GARBOWSKA. comics alliance has a big list of artists with cartoony style
    ALL AGES comic, cartoony style.

wasn't hard at all
    So you've managed to personally insult Landis (your comment was unclear) and all of us here by calling us racists (that comment WAS clear) because of who we chose as creators?

This isn't a civil rights discussion or platform, it's a comic book forum and a thread about who we want to write a fictional character's comic books.