Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I'm not big at all on advertising DC trades, especially Absolute Editions (which I'm generally not fond of), but Absolute Batman Inc is to me THE only way to read Batman Inc until a smaller sized version of it is released. The touch ups to the art and colors are great. The quality of the edition is just amazing. The whole thing reads as so epic in that Absolute edition.

I hope DC softcovers the Absolute contents so everyone can afford the finalized version of Inc, but if you're looking for a Xmas gift idea to ask of some relative/spouse, Absolute Inc is the way to go.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingcrimsonprog View Post
    Is it actually all genius, or is it someone trying to seem genius by trying to trick people?
    Morrison has been pretty open about "fake it til you make it" being legit, the audience's reaction and interpretation being as important (or more) than author's, and, by his own admission, likes "talking @&#*" in his comics and otherwise.

You can't trick people into being entertained though. They either find it entertained, or they don't.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

What's great about Inc is the core idea of it. What is the logical extension of Batman? What would a radical progressive like Bruce do next? That was Grant's idea. He said our cities are not isolated anymore in this globally interdependent world. Batman can't save Gotham just by focusing on Gotham, and anyway, there's more to the world than Gotham. He has to have a globalized view. And that's Batman Incorporated.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

The problem with Batman Incorporated was how public it was made with Bruce Wayne funding it ensured it would never have a long leash in Gotham. Batman Incorporated should have been Detective Incorporated if longevity was truly at play.

Quote Originally Posted by DGraysonWorldsGreatestSpy View Post
    The problem with Batman Incorporated was how public it was made with Bruce Wayne funding it ensured it would never have a long leash in Gotham. Batman Incorporated should have been Detective Incorporated if longevity was truly at play.
    But it wasn't. It never was.

Batman Inc was always doomed to failure, but Bruce couldn't see it. The same way he thought the Bat-robots were going to be in every home, or that Talia would eventually stop killing people and see the light, or that Mr. Unknown would be totally pleased that he and Catwoman just showed up at his base, having cracked his secret identity (and casually revealed it to a career criminal). Inc was a combination of Bruce's childish enthusiasm and his equally childish blindspots.

It was always planned as roughly two years' worth of comics.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    But it wasn't. It never was.

Batman Inc was always doomed to failure, but Bruce couldn't see it. The same way he thought the Bat-robots were going to be in every home, or that Talia would eventually stop killing people and see the light, or that Mr. Unknown would be totally pleased that he and Catwoman just showed up at his base, having cracked his secret identity (and casually revealed it to a career criminal). Inc was a combination of Bruce's childish enthusiasm and his equally childish blindspots.

It was always planned as roughly two years' worth of comics.
    Ok I can see that point but the reboot made things feel incomplete. Should have just let Batman Inc. be the Last Pre-Flashpoint Batman story instead of it dragging into the New 52.

Inc is a good story. A little background isn't bad and makes it easier to jump into, but Morrison isn't for everyone. I'm a huge fan of his stuff, but if you start with Inc one and not Leviathan Strikes it takes a while to warm up to. On top of that I'm not a fan of Burnham's work. I would recommend it as important to the current Batman story, but I don't think DiDio even waited a year to basically erase every bit of it from the storyline.
    It's all just an opinion. Stop taking me so damn seriously.

Incredible Member

Just finnished Return of Bruce Wayne and getting ready to start Inc. ...I forgot how baffaling some of this is. Its straight forward at some times but for a few issues its a bit jarring and 'where are they going with this?'

Also, has anyone read that Justice League time travel tie-in to Return Of Bruce Wayne? and where did Red Robin come to be, in a previous Morrison issue he's Robin and suddenly he's Red Robin with no explaination?

and where did Red Robin come to be, in a previous Morrison issue he's Robin and suddenly he's Red Robin with no explaination?
    Robin had his own ongoing. It was going on over there.

But, I'd have figured Batman and Robin's first 12 plus issues would've made it clear that Tim wasn't Robin any more.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Robin had his own ongoing. It was going on over there.

But, I'd have figured Batman and Robin's first 12 plus issues would've made it clear that Tim wasn't Robin any more.
    Makes sense, but I would've thought Morrison's run worked as a single story that didn't need the other stories to show you the main plot points (although there's Final Crisis so... of course I should've realized that's not the case).
    Last edited by Kingcrimsonprog; 12-09-2015 at 02:41 PM.

I remember flat out hating Incorporated vol 1 on first read but now I'm very excited to revisit it.

I started 'Marathoning' the Morrison saga yesterday, I've got from Batman & Son to Batman & Robin vol 1 so far, and I'm amazed at how progressive, experimental and schizophrenic it all is, and that I'm less than half way through already. Morrsion really tried so many different things, crossed so many different boundaries.

When I initially read it, I read it in the wrong order, with loads of different stories from different eras in between (reading the Killing Joke after the references in this, for example), before I really knew enough Batman history to make sense of it all, but reading it now properly... just wow, its definitely ambitious. Its an ambitious mess. If it was music, it would be The Bedlam In Goliath by The Mars Volta...where parts of it are genius, parts of it are catchy, but parts of it hurt my ears and are either tacky and fake-art or else too high brow for me to understand (and tricky to tell the difference).

Is it actually all genius, or is it someone trying to seem genius by trying to trick people?

I remember flat out hating Incorporated vol 1 on first read but now I'm very excited to revisit it.
    Need The Black Glove to start it, then. I just can't understand why all the fuzz about Inc., having read just the first issue. Found it to be VERY boring. But some people told me it gets better from the half part on. Some people, like you, told me that Morrison run is fantastic due to the continuity of all his books.

Well, Marvel has taught me that continuity matters. So I'll just have to buy The Black Glove and start it properly, followed by Batman & Son, and so on...

Thanks for sharing your experience with this.

BANNED

I started 'Marathoning' the Morrison saga yesterday, I've got from Batman & Son to Batman & Robin vol 1 so far, and I'm amazed at how progressive, experimental and schizophrenic it all is, and that I'm less than half way through already. Morrsion really tried so many different things, crossed so many different boundaries.

When I initially read it, I read it in the wrong order, with loads of different stories from different eras in between (reading the Killing Joke after the references in this, for example), before I really knew enough Batman history to make sense of it all, but reading it now properly... just wow, its definitely ambitious. Its an ambitious mess. If it was music, it would be The Bedlam In Goliath by The Mars Volta...where parts of it are genius, parts of it are catchy, but parts of it hurt my ears and are either tacky and fake-art or else too high brow for me to understand (and tricky to tell the difference).

Interesting analogy. As a MV fan myself, Bedlam was an album I couldn't really get into, though there were some good tracks on it.

What astounds me about Morrison's overall run is how much mileage they're still getting out of it, from Damien to Pyg to the Batmen of all nations concept. It really brought a lot of new, unconventional elements to the table, but in a fun way.

I got to read it month to month starting with RIP--what a blast that was.

Makes sense, but I would've thought Morrison's run worked as a single story that didn't need the other stories to show you the main plot points (although there's Final Crisis so... of course I should've realized that's not the case).
    He mentions Red Robin here and there, in that sort of "since you've been Red Robin and doing ___ work..." or "Dick has Damian, but you and I will always be partners" way, but in general, if someone had their own title, Morrison kinda let them deal with the whys of things more there. Same with Michael Lane/Azrael, when he makes his comeback in Morrison's epic.

Morrison has said a few times that one of his goals with his bat-run was to inspire readers to pick up other comics, hence so many allusions to older bat-stories, but also constant guest appearances, participation in a big crossover, and occasionally referencing events from other contemporary titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I've read many, many, many times that Batman Incorporated (Morrisson) is one of the best Batman stories out there. Well, I've read the first issue (Mr. Unknown/Japan part) and I'm really having a HARD time to find motivation to continue reading. So far, it does not have any of what I usually look for in Batman stories (psychological traps, more of a dark themed story, etc.). The thing I liked most in this first issue is the Death Man, but even so, not that much.

Does it get better from there? Or the general idea is the same?
    As others have mentioned, you need to read the thing from beginning to end. Best Batman story in any media since 1986.

Haven't quite figured this out... Is this the Black Glove mentioned?

https://www.comixology.com/Batman-Ba...9pdGVtU2xpZGVy