Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Batman Incorporated suck?

I've read many, many, many times that Batman Incorporated (Morrisson) is one of the best Batman stories out there. Well, I've read the first issue (Mr. Unknown/Japan part) and I'm really having a HARD time to find motivation to continue reading. So far, it does not have any of what I usually look for in Batman stories (psychological traps, more of a dark themed story, etc.). The thing I liked most in this first issue is the Death Man, but even so, not that much.

Does it get better from there? Or the general idea is the same?

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I've read many, many, many times that Batman Incorporated (Morrisson) is one of the best Batman stories out there. Well, I've read the first issue (Mr. Unknown/Japan part) and I'm really having a HARD time to find motivation to continue reading. So far, it does not have any of what I usually look for in Batman stories (psychological traps, more of a dark themed story, etc.). The thing I liked most in this first issue is the Death Man, but even so, not that much.

Does it get better from there? Or the general idea is the same?
    Have you read the rest of Morrison's Batman run that leads up to Incorporated? It might give you better context for what is going on and might give you more enjoyment, however, it does take a while to pick up. I find the first volume of Incorporated kinda boring barring a few key issues, like the one on the Indian reservation or Leviathan Strikes.

I think you should read a couple more issues and if you don't like it just read Leviathan Strikes and move on to Incorporated volume 2 which is pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Have you read the rest of Morrison's Batman run that leads up to Incorporated? It might give you better context for what is going on and might give you more enjoyment, however, it does take a while to pick up. I find the first volume of Incorporated kinda boring barring a few key issues, like the one on the Indian reservation or Leviathan Strikes.

I think you should read a couple more issues and if you don't like it just read Leviathan Strikes and move on to Incorporated volume 2 which is pretty awesome.
    From Morrison, I've just read Batman & Robin Vol. 1 - Batman Reborn (good but not aweasome), and were going to read Vol. 2, but decided reading Incorporated first (curiosity). What should I read before Incorporated?

Thanks

Batman The Black Glove, Batman RIP, Final Crisis, Batman and Robin Return of Bruce Wayne. Batman Inc.

That's his full story

Morrison's with Batman. Also the trade Time and the Batman

Thanks a lot for the reading list. I'll try it before Incorporated.

Just so you know, the early issues of Inc are a little more "poppy" than the typical modern Bat story...but really, if you get past the aesthetics, no less complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom1 View Post
    Just so you know, the early issues of Inc are a little more "poppy" than the typical modern Bat story...but really, if you get past the aesthetics, no less complex.
    Nice, Thom1. I'll give it a try, but I guess I'll read the other Morrison stories first. Just need to get my hands on The Black Glove, as I already have the others on Comixology.

I liked the "poppy" adjective. It suited that first issue very well. LOL

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I don't recommend the "read it all first," approach.

I know I'm the outlier here on this, but it's more a collector mentality thing, I think, than it is about the stories. Yes, there's a larger story at play, but Inc was designed for new readers, too.

To the OP, the second half of Inc is much darker, sadder, and more sturm und drang than the first half. The first half, despite a good body count, Nazi scientists, tortured children, etc, is pretty whiz bang high-speed fun. So, you may want to skip ahead to Inc vol 2, which I think has two soft-cover trades.

Reading it all, to see if you like the last stories in the run... that's money and time.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post

I know I'm the outlier here on this, but it's more a collector mentality thing, I think, than it is about the stories. Yes, there's a larger story at play, but Inc was designed for new readers, too.

To the OP, the second half of Inc is much darker, sadder, and more sturm und drang than the first half. The first half, despite a good body count, Nazi scientists, tortured children, etc, is pretty whiz bang high-speed fun. So, you may want to skip ahead to Inc vol 2, which I think has two soft-cover trades.

Reading it all, to see if you like the last stories in the run... that's money and time.
    But Morrison's whole run was a one story masterpiece so why not enjoy the whole series rather than just a slice

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post

I agree. Morrison's run is not for everyone. INC is one of the easier to understand one, if you don't like INC, highly likely you won't like the earlier volumes.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    But Morrison's whole run was a one story masterpiece so why not enjoy the whole series rather than just a slice
    If you start a piece of pizza and don't like it, eating a whole pizza by the same author, paying for each new slice, to get back to the one you already didn't like the taste of consumes a lot of money and time, without ensuring any great payoff.

And, lik a single slice of pizza, Inc is pretty much designed to reward newcomers as much as those who've already eaten four other slices.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    From Morrison, I've just read Batman & Robin Vol. 1 - Batman Reborn (good but not aweasome), and were going to read Vol. 2, but decided reading Incorporated first (curiosity). What should I read before Incorporated?

Thanks
    Definitely recommend reading the Son Of Batman and Black Glove trades first, to get an idea if the overall Morrison run is for you. I think I liked Black Glove the most out of the whole run.

I agree that you can probably pick up any volume of Morrison's Batman and enjoy it, but it's soooooooooo much better if read as a sequence. It's an epic! It covers all genres of Batman! Marathoning it is the best way, IMHO.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Inc is different...that's why people like it so much.

Before Inc, Batman hasn't really been done much in 60s superspy/spy-fi style since the early 80s.

Inc is at times fun, funny, surreal, dark, and sad. Just great comics.

But Inc is not like Scott Snyder Batman comics, so if you want that, stop reading Inc and go back to that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spy-fi
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 12-08-2015 at 07:10 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Incredible Member

I remember flat out hating Incorporated vol 1 on first read but now I'm very excited to revisit it.

I started 'Marathoning' the Morrison saga yesterday, I've got from Batman & Son to Batman & Robin vol 1 so far, and I'm amazed at how progressive, experimental and schizophrenic it all is, and that I'm less than half way through already. Morrsion really tried so many different things, crossed so many different boundaries.

When I initially read it, I read it in the wrong order, with loads of different stories from different eras in between (reading the Killing Joke after the references in this, for example), before I really knew enough Batman history to make sense of it all, but reading it now properly... just wow, its definitely ambitious. Its an ambitious mess. If it was music, it would be The Bedlam In Goliath by The Mars Volta...where parts of it are genius, parts of it are catchy, but parts of it hurt my ears and are either tacky and fake-art or else too high brow for me to understand (and tricky to tell the difference).

Is it actually all genius, or is it someone trying to seem genius by trying to trick people?

I remember flat out hating Incorporated vol 1 on first read but now I'm very excited to revisit it.
    Last edited by Kingcrimsonprog; 12-08-2015 at 06:22 AM.