Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Doomsday in BVS: Is it too much too soon?

With the new BVS trailer coming out, we now know that Doomsday is going to be part of the movie. With Wonder Woman, Batman, Lex Luthor, and I'm guessing Kryptonite and possibly Aquaman in the movie, are they fitting too much in the new film? Too many villains killed both Spider Man franchises. It sounds like they are trying to skip ahead to a Justice League movie and apparently a MOS sequel all in one movie. This can't be good for a new DCCU.

It depends, really.

You need a physical threat other than Batman. The way this movie has to work is Superman and Batman begin at odds with each other (first Act), realize that Lex is the real enemy (second Act), and team up against him for the climatic third Act (which is also likely the first time we'll see Diana in costume too). You need someone for these two to fight and Lex certainly isnt it. But with the first two Acts already full of characters, all you have room for in act Three is a pawn.

Personally I'd have gone with Metallo (LexCorp designed weapon against Superman, paid for by government grants), or Bizarro (failed clone). But Doomsday fits the role just as well. The only drawback is that Doomsday comes with quite the legend attached to him, and not delivering on that is a gamble. Will audiences want to see Superman die? Will they be disappointed with Doomsday if he doesnt? What's the loss/gain ratio there? And if you do kill Superman (who obviously wont stay that way) how do you use that going forward with JL?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I too would say it depends on how the character were planned to be used. If they wanna use him to actually kill off Superman? Yes that'd be too soon and stupid. If its just the threat that brings Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman together as a team, I think the character is a good choice. I'd have really disliked if, for example, they used someone really big like Brainiac because that should be a Superman solo threat. But Doomsday, I don't see many fans complaining that he was wasted and not saved for a proper MOS sequel.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Doomsday was a dumb Hulk with spikes in the 90's, and he'll be a dumb Hulk with spikes in 2016. We're not really losing out on a character that has any sort of great depth to him. He's more of a plot device really. Also, I think it works using Zod's body to create a monster strong enough to tangle with Superman. Add Batman and Wonder Woman into mix and we have the potential for a creative fight scene.

Too much, too soon would be bringing Darkseid or Brainiac into the MOS verse, alongside Lex Luthor. Doomsday's really just action fodder.

I had somewhat of the same discussion at my local comic shop. I think from one perspective Doomsday is the right choice - he may not have any weakness to Kryptonite and cannot be reasoned with. Ergo there may not be a credible way that Batman can handle this without Kal-El at his side bringing the focus squarely back to Superman. To my mind the fan made movie starring Brandon Routh and Rhona Mitra comes off as prophetic in that respect.

Watch here

I think that Doomsday is perfect choice for this. Movie has lots of characters already, using body of Zod to create monster Doomsday takes least amount of space and its not like they can screw his characters since he has none. Its also perfect opportunity to shed some light into this universe which is supposedly grim dark but Superman prevails against monster that killed him in comics.

Bizzaro could be another choice but, but personally I think that his speech pattern is a problem. Without it its not really a Bizzaro and I doubt that casual viewers wouldn't go "wtf is this nonsense" while listening to him.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Bizzaro could be another choice but, but personally I think that his speech pattern is a problem. Without it its not really a Bizzaro and I doubt that casual viewers wouldn't go "wtf is this nonsense" while listening to him.
    I think it'd be an easier sell on a broad audience than the sort of superhero fan who'd feel it was a kind of silly childishness that doesn't belong in their serious drama about a cape-wearing alien and very realistic bat-themed frenemy.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Using Doomy means that the stupid Death of Superman thing won't happen later. Either they're gonna get it out thr way now or they're gonna scrap it completely.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    Doomsday was a dumb Hulk with spikes in the 90's, and he'll be a dumb Hulk with spikes in 2016. We're not really losing out on a character that has any sort of great depth to him. He's more of a plot device really. Also, I think it works using Zod's body to create a monster strong enough to tangle with Superman. Add Batman and Wonder Woman into mix and we have the potential for a creative fight scene.

Too much, too soon would be bringing Darkseid or Brainiac into the MOS verse, alongside Lex Luthor. Doomsday's really just action fodder.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I think that Doomsday is perfect choice for this. Movie has lots of characters already, using body of Zod to create monster Doomsday takes least amount of space and its not like they can screw his characters since he has none. Its also perfect opportunity to shed some light into this universe which is supposedly grim dark but Superman prevails against monster that killed him in comics.

That's my thoughts. I've been laughing myself silly about people bitching about this as though Doomsday is some beloved character.

Doomsday is just a kind of mindless brute who goes on a rampage. So I think he fits fairly well for this film. You don't need much of an origin for him or anything like that. Just turn him loose like a natural disaster and let the heroes deal with him. I also find it a little interesting that he's cloned from Zod in the movie. Zod was genetically bred to be a soldier. He was created for combat. So will that carry over to Doomsday?

I think putting any other heavy from Superman rogues in this position would make the movie a bit too crowded. Metallo would be a good choice but then you have to have an origin for him. Tell the tale of Corbin and see his transformation. With Superman, Batman, Lex, Wonder Woman, Aquaman and a few others rumored to appear, it would get jumbled. It kind of Reminds me of the X-Men franchise. I love some of those movies, but they get too crowded. Like X-2, where we get 30 seconds of Colossus among a crowd of mutants.

For all the complaints about Marvel only having dumb villains and none of their villains being particularly good
    WB/DC for whatever reason decides to showcase their worst most dumb villain in the huge tent pole movie that is supposed to show people how good the DC universe is.

I would say Doomsday should only be used for the death of superman storyline he is quite frankly a very limited villain when used outside of that
    I for sure think people would view the character more positively if his reveal was a surprise

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    For all the complaints about Marvel only having dumb villains and none of their villains being particularly good
    WB/DC for whatever reason decides to showcase their worst most dumb villain in the huge tent pole movie that is supposed to show people how good the DC universe is.

I would say Doomsday should only be used for the death of superman storyline he is quite frankly a very limited villain when used outside of that
    I for sure think people would view the character more positively if his reveal was a surprise
    That Doomsday doesn't talk already puts him ahead of Ultron for me. I'd rather have a dumb brutish monster that can't speak than a robot that thinks he's funny when he's not.

Also, Doomsday isn't the only way to kill Superman. Grant Morrison killed Superman off without him.

Unless of course the twist that is the body of Zod, imparts some kind of consciousness and intelligence.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Lex is main villain not Doomy.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

But DC is putting one of their biggest, most well known villains in the film. Lex Luthor. Doomsday is just a bullet Lex fires at Superman.

If Doomsday were the only villain here, I'd agree with you completely, but the villain here is Lex and using super powered pawns is one of his things.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.