Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Doomsday in BVS: Is it too much too soon?

With the new BVS trailer coming out, we now know that Doomsday is going to be part of the movie. With Wonder Woman, Batman, Lex Luthor, and I'm guessing Kryptonite and possibly Aquaman in the movie, are they fitting too much in the new film? Too many villains killed both Spider Man franchises. It sounds like they are trying to skip ahead to a Justice League movie and apparently a MOS sequel all in one movie. This can't be good for a new DCCU.

It depends, really.

You need a physical threat other than Batman. The way this movie has to work is Superman and Batman begin at odds with each other (first Act), realize that Lex is the real enemy (second Act), and team up against him for the climatic third Act (which is also likely the first time we'll see Diana in costume too). You need someone for these two to fight and Lex certainly isnt it. But with the first two Acts already full of characters, all you have room for in act Three is a pawn.

Personally I'd have gone with Metallo (LexCorp designed weapon against Superman, paid for by government grants), or Bizarro (failed clone). But Doomsday fits the role just as well. The only drawback is that Doomsday comes with quite the legend attached to him, and not delivering on that is a gamble. Will audiences want to see Superman die? Will they be disappointed with Doomsday if he doesnt? What's the loss/gain ratio there? And if you do kill Superman (who obviously wont stay that way) how do you use that going forward with JL?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I too would say it depends on how the character were planned to be used. If they wanna use him to actually kill off Superman? Yes that'd be too soon and stupid. If its just the threat that brings Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman together as a team, I think the character is a good choice. I'd have really disliked if, for example, they used someone really big like Brainiac because that should be a Superman solo threat. But Doomsday, I don't see many fans complaining that he was wasted and not saved for a proper MOS sequel.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Doomsday was a dumb Hulk with spikes in the 90's, and he'll be a dumb Hulk with spikes in 2016. We're not really losing out on a character that has any sort of great depth to him. He's more of a plot device really. Also, I think it works using Zod's body to create a monster strong enough to tangle with Superman. Add Batman and Wonder Woman into mix and we have the potential for a creative fight scene.

Too much, too soon would be bringing Darkseid or Brainiac into the MOS verse, alongside Lex Luthor. Doomsday's really just action fodder.

I had somewhat of the same discussion at my local comic shop. I think from one perspective Doomsday is the right choice - he may not have any weakness to Kryptonite and cannot be reasoned with. Ergo there may not be a credible way that Batman can handle this without Kal-El at his side bringing the focus squarely back to Superman. To my mind the fan made movie starring Brandon Routh and Rhona Mitra comes off as prophetic in that respect.

Watch here

I think that Doomsday is perfect choice for this. Movie has lots of characters already, using body of Zod to create monster Doomsday takes least amount of space and its not like they can screw his characters since he has none. Its also perfect opportunity to shed some light into this universe which is supposedly grim dark but Superman prevails against monster that killed him in comics.

Bizzaro could be another choice but, but personally I think that his speech pattern is a problem. Without it its not really a Bizzaro and I doubt that casual viewers wouldn't go "wtf is this nonsense" while listening to him.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    It depends, really.

You need a physical threat other than Batman. The way this movie has to work is Superman and Batman begin at odds with each other (first Act), realize that Lex is the real enemy (second Act), and team up against him for the climatic third Act (which is also likely the first time we'll see Diana in costume too). You need someone for these two to fight and Lex certainly isnt it. But with the first two Acts already full of characters, all you have room for in act Three is a pawn.

Personally I'd have gone with Metallo (LexCorp designed weapon against Superman, paid for by government grants), or Bizarro (failed clone). But Doomsday fits the role just as well. The only drawback is that Doomsday comes with quite the legend attached to him, and not delivering on that is a gamble. Will audiences want to see Superman die? Will they be disappointed with Doomsday if he doesnt? What's the loss/gain ratio there? And if you do kill Superman (who obviously wont stay that way) how do you use that going forward with JL?
    I would love to see Metallo in one of these films at some point. But I feel like, with him, you need to do more set-up/character work (because John Corben is an actually character). Which might be too much in a film that's already got this many characters. Doomsday, by contrast, was created as a glorified plot-device in order to do DOS. And he was a mindless monster/living weapon, which might very well be the case her to. The only thing that seems to be changing is HOW he's created and by whom.

Extraordinary Member

Not sure I understand the O.P.'s point.

You weren't going to have the ENTIRE movie being about Batman v. Superman. The "Dawn of Justice" tag line should have been a hint.
    Supes, Wondy and Bats were always gonna team up by the end.

So the movie needed a baddie powerful enough to physically challenge the Trinity. That's not Lex Luthor.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I would love to see Metallo in one of these films at some point. But I feel like, with him, you need to do more set-up/character work (because John Corben is an actually character). Which might be too much in a film that's already got this many characters. Doomsday, by contrast, was created as a glorified plot-device in order to do DOS. And he was a mindless monster/living weapon, which might very well be the case her to. The only thing that seems to be changing is HOW he's created and by whom.
    Exactly. Doomsday is just a bullet to fire at Clark. No character arc necessary.

Since writing that post you replied to, I gave Metallo some more thought, and I've decided that yeah, he requires too much work to have been included here. I realized that if you want to do Metallo right, he needs more attention than the typical right-hand goon. A typical right-hand goon could maybe be fit into this film, but Corben needs more than that if you want to do him right.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Exactly. Doomsday is just a bullet to fire at Clark. No character arc necessary.

Since writing that post you replied to, I gave Metallo some more thought, and I've decided that yeah, he requires too much work to have been included here. I realized that if you want to do Metallo right, he needs more attention than the typical right-hand goon. A typical right-hand goon could maybe be fit into this film, but Corben needs more than that if you want to do him right.
    I thought the Action Comics relaunch handled Metallo well, and he was mostly broad strokes minor supporting character. He's just got to have some personality and a point to him, then a cool look and some powers.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Ultimate Member

Then he just becomes another generic villain, not unlike most of Marvels. And I don't really want that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    With the new BVS trailer coming out, we now know that Doomsday is going to be part of the movie. With Wonder Woman, Batman, Lex Luthor, and I'm guessing Kryptonite and possibly Aquaman in the movie, are they fitting too much in the new film? Too many villains killed both Spider Man franchises. It sounds like they are trying to skip ahead to a Justice League movie and apparently a MOS sequel all in one movie.
    It's really impossible to say if it's too much without having actually seen the film...

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I don't think it's too much as long as Superman doesn't die at the end.

I think it's not specifically Doomsday. I think it could be an amalgam of Bizarro/Wraith.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.