Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default March to "Civil War II": Don't Judge Marvel's Events By Their Title

Following "Secret Wars," Marvel has announced another sequel to a classic story -- but that doesn't mean the publisher's repeating itself.

Full article here.

I hope it's more like old vs new. That would be intresting
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else."

I'm feeling negative towards this event because I've read Bendis' previous events, like Secret Invasion, AvX, Battle Of The Atom, Age Of Ultron, Black Vortex, etc. And they all follow the same formula:
    1) The heroes start acting like children who refuse to talk and resolve their issues.
    2) They fight. Some heroes 'shockingly' swap sides.
    3) Lots and lots and lots of talk without saying anything.
    4) A massive brawl. Someone dies.
    5) Rinse and repeat in six months.

Judge Marvel's events by their writers.

Thanks but i will pass this.

All-New Member

Goddamn Marvel's really stepping up their trolling game aren't they? I wonder how long this'll take to get finished...probably in late 2017 sometimes.
    And Bendis too!? Panic button much? Damn......at least be honest you've given up trying to be even remotely original Marvel....

Incredible Member

I don't judge Marvel's Events by their title. I judge them by their absolute lack of quality.

I didn't really like Civil War, that is more my issue that the name. Nor did I like the original concept, so I'm not sure how the article is supposed to make me feel better about this.

This is exactly how his stories go. Bendis has been milking his relationship with Quesada and company for years now instead of delivering solid stories.

Slightly off-tangent mini-rant: In general, I'm not too sanguine about Marvel's lineup of writers at the moment. Hickman, Brubaker, Fraction, Gillen and company are all winding-down their runs to move to creator-owned projects (or taking a hiatus). Jason Aaron still chugging along but who knows for how long? Just reading the first issue of All-New Avengers by Waid compared to Hickman's Avengers is like reading a children's story (Waid's) after reading adult fiction for some time. It's like taking stupid pills and is a dissapointment because I enjoyed Waid's Daredevil. I hope it gets better but I'm not hopeful.
    Last edited by Eisenhorn; 12-07-2015 at 04:28 PM.

They could've named this new Event anything.

But they've got a tentpole film coming out next summer with that title, soooo...

You can almost hear the conversations they have at their yearly editorial retreats.
    "You can talk your way out of almost anything." - Fortune Cookie Proverb

T. Foolery's unwieldy, yet not entirely unimpressive, collection of funny books.

Bendis has dropped the ball on every crossover he has led, from "Avengers Dissembled" to "Secret Invasion" to the end of the Ultimate Universe. Why should we expect this to be any different?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eisenhorn View Post
    This is exactly how his stories go. Bendis has been milking his relationship with Quesada and company for years now instead of delivering solid stories.

Slightly off-tangent mini-rant: In general, I'm not too sanguine about Marvel's lineup of writers at the moment. Hickman, Brubaker, Fraction, Gillen and company are all winding-down their runs to move to creator-owned projects (or taking a hiatus). Jason Aaron still chugging along but who knows for how long? Just reading the first issue of All-New Avengers by Waid compared to Hickman's Avengers is like reading a children's story (Waid's) after reading adult fiction for some time. It's like taking stupid pills and is a dissapointment because I enjoyed Waid's Daredevil. I hope it gets better but I'm not hopeful.
    I don't know if calling it a children's story is entirely fair. It is definitely supposed to have a much more fun and hopeful tone to it because it's like a training ground for the kids, and also, we just got like 3 years of depressing fight for your life doom and gllom avengers. That's all fine and dandy, but I'm glad they're taking it in a new direction tonally to separate it from it's predecessor. I mean after all it is...*snicker*. allnew and all different (I'm sorry I couldn't help myself)

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

I think House Of M was a good crossover. That had lasting ramifications that moved the Marvel U forward.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Following "Secret Wars," Marvel has announced another sequel to a classic story -- but that doesn't mean the publisher's repeating itself.

Full article here.
    Please don't let the x-men be in this. i am loving their isolation right now. they have more than enough story and villains that i may finally be free of the avengers who i have never really been fond of. I like some characters but as a unit not a fan. Still haven't seen Age of ultron.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Spectacular Member Sad Superman's Avatar

I don't think there's an issue with calling it Civil War. Or having another event so soon after Secret Wars. Those arguments are tired, in my opinion.

That being said, there hasn't been a Bendis-written event I've ever really loved.

But I do love Marquez. And the current run of Invincible Iron Man. And Spencer's Captain America has been excellent.

In other words, I have no idea how this is going to go. But it'll be fun to wait and see.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools View Post
    I'm feeling negative towards this event because I've read Bendis' previous events, like Secret Invasion, AvX, Battle Of The Atom, Age Of Ultron, Black Vortex, etc. And they all follow the same formula:
    1) The heroes start acting like children who refuse to talk and resolve their issues.
    2) They fight. Some heroes 'shockingly' swap sides.
    3) Lots and lots and lots of talk without saying anything.
    4) A massive brawl. Someone dies.
    5) Rinse and repeat in six months.
    You forgot un-answered shifts in character teams and motivations as well hypocrite moments from characters you wouldn't expect.

But Yea I'm judge the event by the writer and their quality and BMB hasn't delivered neither.