Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Default SECRET WAAAAAAAGGGGHH! #8 Spoilers

Quick review: 7/10, loads of dakka, not orky enough.

Synopsis:
    spoilers:
    Open to: everyone punching each other. Elsewhere, a toothpick-chewin' Star-Lord flies the two Reeds toward Castle Doom, despite Hulk-related mishap.

From the preview: Maestro arrives on his helicarrier and boasts, until Shield-Thing appears and waltzes right through the ship. Sinister laments his lot in life. Something explodes within Castle Doom, and Black Swan goes to deal with it. Terrax appeals to Galactus, but gets stepped on, before the devourer and his master, Franklin, square off with Shield-Thing.

The downstairs explosion was the Reeds' plane crashing through the wall. They head off to find Molecule Man's basement digs while Quill hangs around talking to himself.

The appearance of the Annihilation Wave, with Thanos at its head, spurs Doom to join the battle. Hearing Franklin refer to Doom as his dad, Shield-Thing realizes he's fighting Sue Storm's son and can't bring himself to keep going. Franklin has no such qualms, and Galactus decapitates Shield-Thing.

Black Swan finds Star-Lord. Quill makes a boasting metaphor about sheep and wolves, and gets slapped silly for his trouble. Crawling away wounded, he slumps onto the Yggdrasil throne of Doom, and sticks his toothpick into it. The toothpick, it turns out, was a tiny fragment of Groot, who turns the world tree into a new, colossal body for himself and wanders off.

The Reeds find the entrance to Molecule Man's bachelor pad, and are met by Sue and Valeria. In the midst of battle, Doom and Thanos come face-to-face. Doom offers Thanos overall barony of the south if he'll stop, which Thanos considers an insult, and reiterates his point about Doom being a feeble god. Doom retorts via pulling Thanos' skeleton out of his body, then tells Annihilus to go eat the heroes.

Before any bugmunching can occur, though, a golden gateway appears and the hordes of the Deadlands come pouring through, much to Doom's distress. They're followed by Namor and Black Panther, who does a big Hulk Hogan point at Doom with the Infinity Gauntlet.
    end of spoilers

Initial Thoughts:
    - I felt somewhat dismissive of #7 for just being punching. #8 is...also mostly just punching, but the individual beats aren't just piled on top of one another as they were before; there's a sense of actual momentum going back and forth throughout.
    - The appearance of *SPOILER CHARACTER* is probably the best laugh-out-loud, punch-the-air moment from the entire series so far. Possibly of the entire year 2015.
    - Was Franklin always this much of a brat? I kinda wanted Galactus to suddenly say, "WHY IS THIS PUNY CHILD SITTING ON MY MAJESTIC HELMET?" then finger-flick the reality-warping nuisance into the sea.
    - Oddly, Maximus' portrait on the cast page isn't crossed-out like Cyclops', despite it looking like he pretty definitively died in #7. He's not in this issue at all.
    - Also not in this issue: Corvus and Proxima. Starting to suspect they'll remain glorified lava lamps 'til this reality dies.
    - So, either the 'ideal form' of the Marvel Zombies is, uh, still just Marvel Zombies, or Dr. Strange did not really know what the Siege Courageous was gonna do, because it doesn't seem to change anyone.
    - lolterrax

Chinwag away.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

BANNED

The spoilers are nice

And the title of the review is great ! Needed to check a lot of stuffs in the "urban dictionary".

I punched much air when I saw what happened to the SPOILER CHARACTER !

AT LAAAAST, SECRET WAAAAAAAARRRRGKK!!! Swaggy art and writing...

Enjoyed more than I thought I would. Still don't care, but was worth the money.

Poor Ben. And damn, Doom kills folk with style!

Well, the covers made it look like Reed and Doom were gonna slug it out

But it looks like it will be T'challa. FEATS TIME BABY!
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Enjoyed more than I thought I would. Still don't care, but was worth the money.
    So it's cool Captain M ! You've been just robbed of your patience - way too much and it's not over yet - not your money - at least for this issue - and had a moment of fun. That's not that bad even if it's not enough to care...

Quote Originally Posted by tsaimelemoni View Post
    Poor Ben. And damn, Doom kills folk with style!
    Thanks to Hickman and RIBIC !!!

Fantastic Member DeathFalcon182's Avatar

There's too much recycled art in this book. Regardless I really like it. I just hope Doom vs f4/Reed battle isn't done in 2 panels. I still feel like there's lot of stuff we've yet to see.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathFalcon182 View Post
    I just hope Doom vs f4/Reed battle isn't done in 2 panels. I still feel like there's lot of stuff we've yet to see.
    Seems like its gonna be Doom/T'challa, at least initially
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Seems like its gonna be Doom/T'challa, at least initially
    And that'll be resolved in like 2 page. The cast is too big and it just feels like everyone is getting a cameo, they do one cool thing and that's about it. I'm mainly a DC guy so I like there events more in that sense.

There's too much recycled art in this book. Regardless I really like it. I just hope Doom vs f4/Reed battle isn't done in 2 panels. I still feel like there's lot of stuff we've yet to see.
    That has been a feature of this mini from issue one. Ribic recycled art form previous projects into that. Ironically I only recognised it because I had posted a few parts of my favourite bits of his art elsewhere.

However, Ribic usually recycles in a creative manner and I haven't been overly concerned with it here. Everything still looks stunning IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    That has been a feature of this mini from issue one. Ribic recycled art form previous projects into that. Ironically I only recognised it because I had posted a few parts of my favourite bits of his art elsewhere.

However, Ribic usually recycles in a creative manner and I haven't been overly concerned with it here. Everything still looks stunning IMO.
    It doesn't hinder my enjoyment a lot but this book will not age well when we or anyone looks at it again in future and sees the amount of recycled panels.

I have to say, this issue fell a little flat for me. I guess because it is the 'move everyone into place' penultimate issue, and although there are a few nice moments nothing really stands out. All gratification was delayed.

There were also some weird anti-climactic moments, like the Ben resolution and the fate of Terrax. I did like the Thanos confrontation however. And the Mr Sinister joke made me chuckle.

I do hope the last issue gives us a little more on Black Swan. I would hate that to be her last ever scene.

It doesn't hinder my enjoyment a lot but this book will not age well when we or anyone looks at it again in future and sees the amount of recycled panels.
    Possibly. I had similar concerns with the way he recycled the images of the prophet across two books. The repetition would have been within a couple of pages in the trade. But I cringed more because I know it upsets some people more than me. Repetition has always been part of this art-form from the very early days, using it well is itself a skill.

For example the way he repeats images of the castle are very well conceived. They become a visual shorthand that help tell the story and position us without too many establishment panels.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 12-09-2015 at 07:01 AM.