Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    They really do, Frank. I've seen the film.
    Good, then you probably realize that aside from a few visual similarities, there's not really anything between Ren and Cyber that resembles each other?

BANNED

She would work better as a Cyborg villain imo.

She could be developed into something more than she is. Conceivably, given how old this character is, Doctor Cyber should be as well-known, as the Green Goblin, by now.

It's easy to see how she could be developed into WW's Darth Vader or Doctor Doom, with the right stories. Stan Lee would have made that happen. He'd have found/hired the talent to write the story, committed to a long-range vision for Cyber, and flaming got it done! That's the kind of editorial grit and foresight that Wonder Woman needs behind her, ..and I'm not sure she's ever had it. Why is that?

Doctor Cyber's a champion thoroughbred waiting for the right jockey.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

She could be developed into something more than she is. Conceivably, given how old this character is, Doctor Cyber should be as well-known, as the Green Goblin, by now.

It's easy to see how she could be developed into WW's Darth Vader or Doctor Doom, with the right stories. Stan Lee would have made that happen. He'd have found/hired the talent to write the story, committed to a long-range vision for Cyber, and flaming got it done! That's the kind of editorial grit and foresight that Wonder Woman needs behind her, ..and I'm not sure she's ever had it. Why is that?

SPOILERS

I agree that Dr. Cyber should have been developed into something more significant a long time ago. Wonder Woman's rogues have been neglected by DC for too long and there doesn't seem to be a large amount of hope in sight given the recent deaths of both Aegeus and the Angle Man. Wonder Woman's villains will never amount of much if they're not used or (re)created to be killed off right away.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Why do you keep thinking she would be anything like Darth Vader or Dr. Doom. The similarities would still be superficial at best even with a good writer. Actually, a good writer would likely avoid trying to make her too much like those characters.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Why do you keep thinking she would be anything like Darth Vader or Dr. Doom. The similarities would still be superficial at best even with a good writer. Actually, a good writer would likely avoid trying to make her too much like those characters.

I can't speak for Mel but I think I have an idea of what he's getting at. I don't think any of us want Dr. Cyber to be a Darth Vader/Dr. Doom rip-off but she, with her mastery of science, has the potential to be a major nemesis against Wonder Woman, who, in the New 52, grew up with only the most primitive science. It's kind of like the reverse of Superman's weakness to magic. With Diana, it could be technology.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

If that line of reasoning held any value at all Dr. Occult would b bigger than Batman.

And not everything Stan Lee touched turned to gold.

Why do you keep thinking we can afford to be so picky?

Presently, the WW comic hasn't put one universally respected super-villain, out there. Circe, Ares and Alkyone or whoever, while impressive, have no respect, outside of the Wonder-fans. In all these years, there hasn't been one Wonder Woman villain that anyone would put down their Batman, Avengers, Spider-man or X-Men comics to read about ..or would consider a household name. At this point in its history, the WW comic could do a lot worse, than a female Doctor Doom or Madam Vader...gimme a break here!

Besides, Doctor Cyber is probably a closer cousin of the Mandarin of the Iron Man comics, both being inspired by the Cold War, James Bond films and spy novels - the Mod Era. Carol Strickland once told me that Wonder Woman has no Blofeld in her mythos - no natural foe - and that having one might be interesting. I couldn't agree more.

The development of Cassandra the Mad into such a character wouldn't be so terrible to see. She's Diana's half sister and is strong enough to rip a lamp post out of the pavement and throw it at you, like a spear. She's got that 'Carrier' thing and that voice-of-God thing. She's got that classic backstory thing ..and that coherent motivation thing.

No...don't think we can be so picky.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 01-05-2016 at 12:34 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

BANNED

You could take her in another direction and turn her into something like Poison Ivy only with machines rather than plants.

Like following a terrible accident, the engineer who would become Cyber, had extensive surgery and advanced cybernetic prostetics to replaced what couldn't be saved. Being keen of mind still and obsessed with perfection, she gradually replaced what was left of her biological body untill she was wholly machine. Having perfected herself she now seeks to perfect everyone else, having seen other exemplars like herself in Cyborg and the Engineer of Stormwatch, she is now out to convert humanity into the perfect form; immortal and upgraderble to face any obstacle, all people need to do is let go of their weak flesh.

Reason for fighting Diana (if we are aiming at her): Diana may well be considered biological perfect, unrivalled beuty and nearly unmatched power, this Cyber could target her for those reasons, to prove she could improve even this creature with cybernetics. But, it could also be that Diana simply encounters some of Cyber's victims.
    Alternative is that Cyber becomes a general DCU villain that most people can use, like Ultron she could have multiple adroid bodies around the world she can upload herself into if defeated, and she could work as a 'living hacker attack' that gets into people's ever present computers, phones and so on, stealing money and information before selling it off or using it for personal reasons.

Note: the problem here is that she ofc dips into the same shallow pool that Swamp Thing and Cyborg have been doing with the Machine Kingdom and the Technosapiens and ofc a less horrific version of Futures End Brother Eye.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Ok I clicked just wondering what Force Awakens had to do with Dr Cyber as last I saw Cyber she looked more like General Grievous

I thought maybe a woman in armor was similar to Capt Phasma but I don't see Kylo Ren. That said, the could do something interesting with Cyber but should wait until WW is in the modern world.

The thing is she might seem like a female movie-DrDoom or lady Ultron.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Ok I clicked just wondering what Force Awakens had to do with Dr Cyber as last I saw Cyber she looked more like General Grievous

I thought maybe a woman in armor was similar to Capt Phasma but I don't see Kylo Ren. That said, the could do something interesting with Cyber but should wait until WW is in the modern world.

The thing is she might seem like a female movie-DrDoom or lady Ultron.
    I haven't seen Grievous, Pretender, but totally agree on Cyber being a 'Lady Doom' sort.

Again, ..I don't think we can be so picky, at this point. WW has a GREAT rogues gallery of, at least, seven potentially top-tier supervillains, and most are rotting away in a drawer, with no stories - no development. All that considered, a Doomish Cyber doesn't sound so terrible to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    You could take her in another direction and turn her into something like Poison Ivy only with machines rather than plants.

Like following a terrible accident, the engineer who would become Cyber, had extensive surgery and advanced cybernetic prostetics to replaced what couldn't be saved. Being keen of mind still and obsessed with perfection, she gradually replaced what was left of her biological body untill she was wholly machine. Having perfected herself she now seeks to perfect everyone else, having seen other exemplars like herself in Cyborg and the Engineer of Stormwatch, she is now out to convert humanity into the perfect form; immortal and upgraderble to face any obstacle, all people need to do is let go of their weak flesh...
    That's a very intriguing take on Doctor Cyber, Outty.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 01-06-2016 at 10:39 AM.

The magic and myth characters seem to be the only ones most writers and editors are interested in.

The magic and myth characters seem to be the only ones most writers and editors are interested in.
    I think that's because they don't research this character, beyond the Perez reboot, and don't know what in Hades to do with her. It really shows - they really give themselves away - when, in interview, the writer uses Cheetah and Giganta to illustrate what a lousy rogues gallery that this comic has. There's no way that they're WW experts, giving answers, like that, and the editors don't seem to be interested in pushing the other truly original characters, ..like Doctor Cyber, Adjudicator, Bushmaster, Queen Atomia, S.C.Y.T.H.E, Eviless, Osira and General Electric.

All they know is Ares and Circe and Amazons.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 01-06-2016 at 11:35 AM.