Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Cool Scarlet Witch #1 (BREAKDOWN & SPOILERS)!

The 1st Issue of Scarlet Witch #1 Written By James Robinson, Art by Vanesa R. Del Rey and Inked by Jordie Bellaire Came-Out Today and here is a Breakdown of the Story and as the Title of the Thread said, SPOILER WARNING!!!

SPOILERS!!!!SPOILERS!!!!

SPOILERS!!!!SPOILERS!!!!SPOILERS!!!!

__________________________________________________ _____________________________

- We Open Up main a Dream Sequence with Wanda Remembering the Introduction to her becoming an Avenger back in Avengers Volume 1, Issue #16. This Dream will be brought back later for Important Reference.

- Wanda Wakes Up and is Having an Important but Funny and Cleverly Sarcastic Talk with the Spirit of her Teach Agatha Harkness and Agatha looks to be in her Younger Years as she looked from the Story by James Robinson as well ANAD - Uncanny Avengers Annual(2015). The Talk is mainly focused on the State of the World of Witchcraft Magic, how it is in Trouble and Wanda's Choose to live in the City. This is Followed-Up by a Brilliant View of the Skyline where Wanda Lives and the Magical Auras she sees around it.

- We cut to day, Wanda walking with a Inner-Monologue while she is walking about her past, about herself, her connection to Witchcraft and her SOLO Mission to help Fix what is going Wrong with it lately.

- We then are at a Crime Scene with a Detective and it is here where we get some of the books best and most clever Dialogue and get what was promised by James Robinson about being a Crime/Detective book, just with Witchcraft! Tt is well paced, detailed at the Right Flows and Historical going back to the French Revolution. There's this connection in the city with Recently Out-of-the-Blue Madness Killings and the Deaths of Cats in the City, So what is the connection?!

- We get to the Heart of the Matter, Wanda gives definition to the Killings that have been going on and it is part of an ancient spell to summon a Demon of Hate and Envy, to Feed on the Envy of those around it and it seems its Next Possessed Viticum to do Harm turns out to be The Detective Himself!

- This leads to an exorcism of the Detective and a Well Drawn Battle Between Wanda and the Demon, not just spells either, we get Back-Flips & Fast-Action movements well drawn and Stylish showing Wanda's skills in combat! In the Battle Wanda senses something Wrong when she tries to cast a Celtic Spell after she senses the demon was summoned using Magic of Ancient Scotland, so she cancels that spell and uses another to slay the demon, saving the Detective and her.

- The Final Part is Wanda and Agatha talking, Realizing in her battle the Connection between Witchcraft and the Earth is being broken on purpose by an unknown force and Wanda takes up a SOLO mission to find the One Responsible and Fix it! She realizes to that her Dream of the Avengers means she has to leave them behind, do this herself and do it for Herself to help fix the problems with Witchcraft, Wherever it might take her!

__________________________________________________ _____________________________

Overall the Story is a Great RE-READ Type of Book IMO.

Many Marvel books are, but this one you get ALLOT more on a 2nd read-thru realizing what Robinson gave you at later parts of the story that make you get more in depth at the starting story of the book in the 2nd read-thru.

The Story flows well, dialogue is good and allot more funny than I thought. Good Sarcastic moments where fun and funny, it played to each character well. This was an personal book, one focused on the details of the plot for you to figure out and ALLOT of reads can get more out of the story to, especially the Celtic Demon and Spell Part and the meaning of the issues ending by reading thru Robinson's ANAD - Uncanny Avengers Annual(2015).

Artwork is either Good or not great at some points, but what I like about it more than other art that has not so good points is that even at the parts that are not so good like in the middle of the book with faces, at least if feels the style flows with the better parts of the artwork. Vanesa R. Del Rey has a unique style that contributes his not so best parts that seem to have a good flow to them to rescue them, that is rare in not so good moments of art I don't get from other artist.

In the end I was not 100% knowing what I would get, but what I got was better and more in-depth of on inner-personal, character driven story away from the BIGGER Deal Missions we get from Team-Books. It leads to single issue goodness, but a broader serial-storytelling that is rare to find, but works so well in a Classic Comic Style Way that is lost on most books today!

Most of all it has Grand Re-Read ability that brings the story better together when you do and more in-depth!

Closest book I know of that did all of this just as well was Greg Pak's STORM #1 over a Year Ago!

So Now is Your Turn to give you Opinions on Scarlet Witch #1, please have fun and respect each others posts!
    Last edited by CJStriker; 12-09-2015 at 09:25 AM.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

BANNED

I thought it was a good read.

Edit: many forget Wanda was trained by Steve Rogers in H2H.

I like the images of her walking in the day, I took it as a sign of her power as if everything in reality is standing still and she's beyond a lot of people due to her powers.
    Last edited by Hariel0079; 12-09-2015 at 09:57 AM.

I thought this was very good. It perfectly set up the series while giving a run down of Wanda's past (without focusing on the numerous mind controlling situations). The art was overall really nice, a few panels were weird. The coloring was beautiful. Very excited for issue 2.

I liked it more than I expected. I mainly bought it for the art but the story and dialogue were enjoyable too. I'd give the issue 3.5 / 5.

This was pretty good. Interesting direction, and the art was really good.

I wasn't waiting for this title, but having a glimpse into it in the LCS the art clicked something (while it didn't with Daredevil #1 except a few pages... Not as much as I expected). It perfectly fits the storytelling and I REALLY like it. One of the few ANAD titles that will stay a while on my pull-list. It's a good news ! (and, CJ Striker, I LOVE your first post too! Both style and content!)

So far, so good; i wonder if the detective can become a recurring character?

Loved this, fit the character perfectly. This is going to do good Scarlet Witch what Fractionndid for Hawkeye. And Robinson fits magical plots the best, so he's perfect here. Excited for the next issue!

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Commuting betwen "Marvel Future Fight" and ZETSUBOU-SHITA!

Dare I say it, but Ghost!Harkness is HAWT with that ghost!do and ghost!plunging neckline. Love her dynamic with Wanda too, and how Scarlet With is now emphasizing the WITCH. Great start.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

The Current Hill that I Risk Dying On: #KrakoaNEVERMYXMEN
    "I promise, I'll definitely save you. With my tenth and final life, I WILL PROTECT YOU, MUTANDOKA!" ~HoMoira Kinross Akemi

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    So far, so good; i wonder if the detective can become a recurring character?
    he seems like he have potential to show up on future issues.

one of my first contacts with scarlet witch and i dig it. very intimate, some good intrigue. Robinson doing better than i expected

This is what the Doctor Strange book should have been.

BANNED

A pretty good start, IMO. Not my favorite #1 of Marvel's relaunch (that would be the Ultimates #1), but not far away. Wanda's my girl and I was pleased.

Enjoyed it. I really like the art, but the faces were really hit and miss for me. It was cool seeing a mentally stable Scarlet Witch. The larger plot seems to sound similar to what's going on in Doctor Strange. I wonder if this is a coincidence or if the two might eventually team up to take down the magic killers.

Spectacular Member

Why does Wanda say it's not chaos magic? Wasn't it proven that Chthon?

I am curious as to how those conversations went with Agatha Harkness and Reed Richards.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    I wasn't waiting for this title, but having a glimpse into it in the LCS the art clicked something (while it didn't with Daredevil #1 except a few pages... Not as much as I expected). It perfectly fits the storytelling and I REALLY like it. One of the few ANAD titles that will stay a while on my pull-list. It's a good news ! (and, CJ Striker, I LOVE your first post too! Both style and content!)
    Thanks Allot for the comments on my Opening Post Abe, Very Honored you liked it so much, that means allot! Truly, it was Very Important to me to make it like that since this is maybe the most important book for me to come out in a LONG-TIME for me personally. So I wanted to treat it with the importance that Scarlet Witch's Solo has earned, especially Issue #1!

Also, That is impressive to hear you story, that the artwork caught you eye so well and it lead you to giving it such a grand chance and it has become a Main pull on you list as well, that is just BEYOND Awesome, Thanks for sharing that story!

The artwork, like I said in my 1st post, indeed was good at many points with some falls here and their, but that falls at least flowed well with the rest of the artwork that felt natural, not to out of place, which is IMO an Impressive showing of talent by Vanesa R. Del Rey, my hats off to him for this. BUT, I forgot in my opening to give credit to the shining moments and OWE-BOY there are major ones indeed, ones that most people like me and you can see WHY this artwork was so impressive to say!

From the Opening Pages when Wanda is getting up, to the Skyline View from her New Home, to the Walk across the city, to the Battle Montages that are Slick and Skilled in showing both motion and Rule-of-Cool stylization, indeed Vanesa R. Del Rey's Artwork and let's not forget at all Jordie Bellaire's Coloring REALLY works Impressively when it hits it Mark!
    Last edited by CJStriker; 12-09-2015 at 09:38 PM.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!