Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

This was a fantastic first issue. I've long been intrigued by Wanda as a character. But most writers seem to focus on how she relates to other elements of the MU, and not on her as a character (and note, when I say that, I'm talking post-Avengers Disassembled, which was the first I'd read the character). The mutant/not-mutant, Magneto's daughter or not stuff is ok, but doesn't tell me much about what kind of person Wanda is. And don't even get me started on the Complex people and their attitudes towards her. So it was awesome to have a book divorced from those issues as an introduction to who Wanda might actually be.

Love the dead-mentor as a ghost angle. Loved that Wanda was ahead of the evil spirit in identifying the next attacker. I'm think I'm in on this title for a while.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spark627 View Post
    I thought this was very good. It perfectly set up the series while giving a run down of Wanda's past (without focusing on the numerous mind controlling situations). The art was overall really nice, a few panels were weird. The coloring was beautiful. Very excited for issue 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    This was a fantastic first issue. I've long been intrigued by Wanda as a character. But most writers seem to focus on how she relates to other elements of the MU, and not on her as a character (and note, when I say that, I'm talking post-Avengers Disassembled, which was the first I'd read the character). The mutant/not-mutant, Magneto's daughter or not stuff is ok, but doesn't tell me much about what kind of person Wanda is. And don't even get me started on the Complex people and their attitudes towards her. So it was awesome to have a book divorced from those issues as an introduction to who Wanda might actually be.

Love the dead-mentor as a ghost angle. Loved that Wanda was ahead of the evil spirit in identifying the next attacker. I'm think I'm in on this title for a while.
    1st off it is good to talk to you both Spark627 & ZeroBG82, Honored that You Like Wanda's Book so Much, that is Awesome to Read You Stories, Thanks for Sharing!

What major points you both touched on IMO that I greatly appreciated the most from James Robinson's 1st issue where the factors of past bad moments for Wanda's characters, but he gave a shout-out to them, that is it and he got along with the story. That is a HUGE Plus cause sadly past stories have gotten too bogged down in that and it is an Honor, more then in ways that I can give credit to it to read Wanda's character moving forwards! This is a book ABOUT Wanda and Focusing on an Aspect of her life she got from Agatha in her Teachings, the world and spells of Witchcraft is a Very Refreshing take on Wanda's character in taking a more in-depth and interesting look at it. Also, With Agatha their, it just gives Great Justification much more towards this Story Arc for Wanda!

That Ghost Mentor Angle like I said before and you said yourself ZeroBG82 is a great angle to play, especially to give Wanda Focus on the roots of her skills in spellcrafting and a root to a VERY important person in her life that gives great meaning towards the quest Wanda is undertaking now. The Mentor Ghost Angle is Great too, as Ravin' Ray best put it, it is allot like Obi-Wan and Luke with how it feels Allot. With Star Wars getting a New Movie, this feels like perfect timing to have an angle like this IMO!

Finally, as you put it to ZeroBG82, I Greatly Respect James Robinson with showing just how Knowledgeable Wanda truly can be. She had a good knowledge of the killings from the Newspaper and used that to angle her skills towards putting together the mystery towards defeating the Envy Demon, that brought so Much Joy to me as a Wanda Fan, it was a thing of Absolute Beauty, THAT is the Wanda I know and have come to Love and Admire!
    Last edited by CJStriker; 12-09-2015 at 10:07 PM.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

It could have used a tad less exposition, but overall, it was okay. I'm not sure I like chaos magic being witchcraft, though. A women drawing power from a demonic God to do good is far more compelling than "no boys allowed!" imo, and it gives Wanda a central theme that doesn't remind us of how poorly she has been written in the past decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Saffron View Post
    It could have used a tad less exposition, but overall, it was okay. I'm not sure I like chaos magic being witchcraft, though. A women drawing power from a demonic God to do good is far more compelling than "no boys allowed!" imo, and it gives Wanda a central theme that doesn't remind us of how poorly she has been written in the past decade.
    She specifically says that it isn't chaos magic and that witchcraft is powered by the moon and by women. She's still got that connection, but apparently that isn't what she practices. So chaos magic is still a thing.

Also it isn't "no boys allowed", she's just literally empowered by her femininity. I think I saw an Emerald Warlock in the solicits, so he'll probably be a masculine counterpart. In the context of real-world witchcraft, it's logfical and interesting. Plus a superheroine getting her powers directly from feminintiy is, ironically, ballsy as hell as a feminist statement. Being a woman makes her strong. I like it.

Not that in reality women or men are stronger or weaker, but we don't have magic, so our logic doesn't apply in this scenario.

(Also, awesome profile picture!)
    Last edited by Reality; 12-10-2015 at 06:48 AM.

I enjoyed this issue. It didn't blow me away, but it delivered what I hoped...a Scarlet Witch story that involves something other than her powers going crazy.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post
    She specifically says that it isn't chaos magic and that witchcraft is powered by the moon and by women. She's still got that connection, but apparently that isn't what she practices. So chaos magic is still a thing.
    No, she doesn't say that she's changed the variety of magic she practices. She says that others have called it chaos magic, but it's actually witchcraft, not that she's switched over from one to the other.

So either the connection with Chthon is still in continuity, and part of witchcraft involves pulling from the power of an Elder God generally depicted as male, or it's being retconned out. Or considering that Chthon and Gaea were kind of siblings as Elder Gods, perhaps when she's in her right mind and doing witchcraft properly, she's drawing from Gaea rather than Chthon, but there's still the potential for Chthon to try to use her as a conduit for black chaos magic.

I enjoyed the issue, but I found the writing quite pedestrian. The cat massacre was a good, creepy concept to build on but it seemed to be introduced and resolved very abruptly. I also didn't think Wanda's voice came through the narration very strongly. A lot less of Wanda explicitly stating her feelings, and a little more showing them would help, but I feel everything I've read of Robinson's has been like that - a lot of exposition and people describing things.

The art was beautiful at times, especially in the opening scene in Wanda's apartment, and the backgrounds throughout, but the faces were all over the place from then on. I can't help but wonder if it had something to do with the colouring. While Bellaire's colour palette choices were excellent, it strikes me that the problems start when the lighting shifts from night to daytime. The faces often look a bit like someone has touched up the colours in MS Paint or something.

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    No, she doesn't say that she's changed the variety of magic she practices. She says that others have called it chaos magic, but it's actually witchcraft, not that she's switched over from one to the other.

So either the connection with Chthon is still in continuity, and part of witchcraft involves pulling from the power of an Elder God generally depicted as male, or it's being retconned out. Or considering that Chthon and Gaea were kind of siblings as Elder Gods, perhaps when she's in her right mind and doing witchcraft properly, she's drawing from Gaea rather than Chthon, but there's still the potential for Chthon to try to use her as a conduit for black chaos magic.
    I just checked and she says:

"I've often heard the spells I use referred to as chaos magic... but in actual fact they're far from chaotic--their power and intensity are linked to the energy of the Earth and womankind--"

I got the Earth and Moon mixed up, but she doesn't say that it isn't the same thing. She just says that it's more organized than the name suggests. I imagine Cthon is still connected to her, but we'll have to wait and see. She has used dark magic before, obviously, so her connection to him is probably limited to that. I guess the two terms are synonymous now?

That said, it seems they changed her superpowers to "being able to break the laws of physics" from "being able to manipulate probability" or "reality manipulation", so it could also be changed. It's hard to tell from the way it's worded.

So I was wrong-ish, in that it seems to be both witchcraft AND chaos magic.
    Last edited by Reality; 12-10-2015 at 05:07 PM.

Incredible Member idisestablish's Avatar

I've been SO looking forward to this book featuring one of my favorite characters, and it did not disappoint! Really loving the angle they're playing, and I was not expecting Agatha, but I think her "Obi-Wan" role in this is fantastic! Can't wait to see what the future holds for the Scarlet Witch.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    I wasn't waiting for this title, but having a glimpse into it in the LCS the art clicked something (while it didn't with Daredevil #1 except a few pages... Not as much as I expected). It perfectly fits the storytelling and I REALLY like it. One of the few ANAD titles that will stay a while on my pull-list. It's a good news ! (and, CJ Striker, I LOVE your first post too! Both style and content!)
    This reminded me of the New Avengers issue where Clint Barton found an amnesiac Wanda in a Wandagore mountain village, and Clint decided not to open a door to Aunt Agathas room. It gave me a similar feel to that Bendis story, especially as Agatha referenced Wanda killing her.

If anyone read the Doctor Strange series of ANAD, you would have noticed magic isn't working. At all, in this, the 8th Iteration of existence, so it's no wonder the Scarlet Witch is just noticing this as well. That Wandas Celtic spell didn't work against the demon, is similar to Dr Stranges spell not working in his book.

Also it isn't "no boys allowed", she's just literally empowered by her femininity. I think I saw an Emerald Warlock in the solicits, so he'll probably be a masculine counterpart. In the context of real-world witchcraft, it's logfical and interesting. Plus a superheroine getting her powers directly from feminintiy is, ironically, ballsy as hell as a feminist statement. Being a woman makes her strong. I like it.

Not that in reality women or men are stronger or weaker, but we don't have magic, so our logic doesn't apply in this scenario.

Speaking of strong women, I particularly remind you of that scene between Wanda and the desk Sergeant at the police station, and how Wanda came across as quite intimidating so the man backed down. That took me aback somewhat, and so it should have frightened the desk Sergeant because Wanda could have done just about anything in that situation if she got annoyed. Or maybe she couldn't now, in this new ANAD existence? But not knowing Wandas magic has gone on the fritz, I felt Wandas intimidation quite strongly in that scene. That was a very well constructed piece both writing and art, showing the Sergeant shrinking down in the last panel.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Speaking of strong women, I particularly remind you of that scene between Wanda and the desk Sergeant at the police station, and how Wanda came across as quite intimidating so the man backed down. That took me aback somewhat, and so it should have frightened the desk Sergeant because Wanda could have done just about anything in that situation if she got annoyed. Or maybe she couldn't now, in this new ANAD existence? But not knowing Wandas magic has gone on the fritz, I felt Wandas intimidation quite strongly in that scene. That was a very well constructed piece both writing and art, showing the Sergeant shrinking down in the last panel.
    Her magic seems to be working fine, she just was taken aback by the sense that something is wrong with witchcraft when she attempted the spell. Which she then promptly used to slay the demon.

Her magic seems to be working fine, she just was taken aback by the sense that something is wrong with witchcraft when she attempted the spell. Which she then promptly used to slay the demon.
    I know. Dr Strange had the same trouble in his book, and defeated the threat by adjusting his spell, also.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I know. Dr Strange had the same trouble in his book, and defeated the threat by adjusting his spell, also.
    Apart of me came to that conclusion as well, I have been reading the happenings in Dr. Strange and it was the exact same thing that happen to him, but this time right before Wanda cast the Spell she SENSED something was Wrong with it. Wanda has the natural ability, being connected by her powers to sense changes like that and it was a good thing too. If she only knew it would not work after it failed to be cast then she would have been doomed in the battle! This was was similar towards when Wanda Sensed the HYDRA Time Gate using her Mystical Sensing in Avengers: Millennium #1:

NOW, that be Very Interesting if this is a Connection both between Dr. Strange's Book and Scarlet Witch's book and what they both might be doing!

My other theory to this comes out of ANAD Uncanny Avengers Annual 2015 with The Emerald Warlock. It could be of his doing in this cause, either he laid a trap for Wanda with the Demon to counteract any Celtic Spell and/or what The Emerald Warlock was doing was have an Effect on the Spellcraft that is connected to Witchcraft that Wanda sensed this and knew it was corrupted, just not by who doing it was.

Both could be, BUT both do give way to Wanda's Sensing Ability and gives Great Precedences to Wanda's On-The-Spot reaction timing with her Sense, Truly Awesome Job by James Robinson!

Last edited by CJStriker; 12-11-2015 at 10:40 PM.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

In interviews, Robinson has said that he is writing about a brand of magic only accessible to women. Hence "no boys allowed". I can see that it has a feminist slant, but I'm hesitant to call it feminist, just yet. "Linked to the energy of [...] womankind" is pretty vague, and without an examination of feminist themes, or even defining what the "energy" of womankind is, it's really only paying lip service to feminism. I'll wait and see on this one.

Anyway, what annoys me is not the concept, it's that, if the goal was to turn Wanda into a feminist character, changing her magic was unnecessary. A woman that draws power from a dark masculine-coded source is already fertile ground for exploring feminist themes. Conflating that with some sort of woman power just confuses things, unless we do away with continuity. I mean, what, is Chthon into girl power, now? And why not just have Wanda be knowledgeable in two different types of magic? The concept of duality is feminist, after all.

Also, hasn't Doc Strange used chaos magic before? I new that mustache was fake...

Thanks