Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 74
  1. #46
    Astonishing Member Abe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    This is what the Doctor Strange book should have been.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Agreed 100%.

    I was very pleasantly suprised by this book and will continue to read it moving forward.
    Quoted for truth !

  2. #47
    Wanda & Ribrianne~4~Life! CJStriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    9,884

    Quote Originally Posted by maximoffimpact View Post
    I found the 1st issue well worth the wait! I also found it to be a juicy read that left me wanting more, something that has been lacking for me in comics to some degree as of late. Enjoyed Robinson's first take on Wanda and loved the evolution of her analytical/witchcraft/spellcasting/sensory skills. What CJ mentioned earlier in this topic regarding Wanda in Avengers Millenium # 1, through much of Wanda's Avengers career, she had a heightened sense of the unseen, which we now know is another aspect of her powers. Power wise, it seems that along with Wanda being a nexus being for magic in the 616 universe, she evolved even further with the combination of her power and spell casting skills. Spell casting skills initially taught by her mentor Agatha Harkness, and further advanced by Wanda herself from the Kurt Busiek Avengers days through her stint with the Uncanny Avengers. She took a more serious approach to her gifts and we are seeing the results of it now. As far as for the origin of her powers, I read it that the basis/roots of her powers go far beyond Chaos magic but do not exclude it. That there was a connection that goes far greater than what is publicly known. For the most part I enjoyed the art in the issue (for the most part) and I really loved the return of Agatha Harkness! Loved the banter between the two of them and Wanda addressing that it wasn't "her" that killed Agatha. I can only hope that there is more details on that later in the series. I love it that Wanda is being proactive as opposed to reactive in this story. Love how she is not running away from who she was, but refusing to be afraid to push herself to be better. Wanda has always been that way to a degree, but with the latter round of events since Busiek's Avengers, she is determined to be more and do more. Also mentioned by another poster, I sense a connection between Wanda's book and Dr. Strange's regarding the breakdown in magic. We will see in the future. I am definitely on board for the rest of the series! I can only hope that at some point, as a tribute, they can get an issue of two as artist from George Perez, Olivier Coipel and Jimmy Cheung! (hint, hint)

    DO I HAVE TO WAIT ANOTHER 30 DAYS???!!! LOL
    We can only HOPE it is not the Full 30 Days we have to wait for the next Issue Maximoffimpact, Hard to wait after a Grand Opening like this one!

    As you Always do my friend, Very Impressive Breakdown of Wanda's history, mainly her power and persona, this helps out to give others new to Wanda the 411 they need to know more of what is going on! What I greatly agree with is that 1.) I feel they are indeed not setting Chaos Magic to the side, just focusing on another Aspect to not only Wanda's Powers, but Also her Roots as a Spellcaster as well. 2.) Wanda's Personal is on VERY High Marks of Sassy and Clever, Spot of the Moment chooses in clever wordplay and reaction to Events around her, ESPECIALLY in Battle!

    Wanda takes a lot after her Teacher and having Agatha back like this just make this New but Classic Attitude of Wanda's all the More the Best!
    Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!

    ~~ Brianne De Chateau ~ Episode 102, of Dragon Ball Super!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyHGXMH6HB0
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread!

  3. #48
    Extraordinary Member jackolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,661

    Default

    One question I have. Regarding Asgardians Magic, if Strange and Wanda are noticing their spells aren't operating correctly anymore, or interfered with, do people like Loki and Enchantress, (and even Odin Power) get affected too?

  4. #49
    Endangered Member Reality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Behind you.
    Posts
    962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    One question I have. Regarding Asgardians Magic, if Strange and Wanda are noticing their spells aren't operating correctly anymore, or interfered with, do people like Loki and Enchantress, (and even Odin Power) get affected too?
    In Doctor Strange that's happening because the Empirikul are draining magic from the places he traditionally draws his power. Whereas here, it seems to be that there is someone tampering with witchcraft specifically, which gave Wanda a moment of pause but didn't disrupt her spell. We'll have to see the next issue of Doctor Strange, which has Wanda in it, to see whether or not the tow are related.

    But we've seen nothing to indicate Asgardian magic is at risk or is behaving differently.

  5. #50
    trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,229

    Default

    On Wanda's magic, it's worth noting that writers have traditionally treated Chaos Magic (the power that Chthon imbued Wanda with at birth) and the magic that Agatha Harkness taught Wanda as two separate things. I think it makes sense to say that the magic that Wanda went out of her way to learn is Witchcraft, but, like Saffron, I don't think it's worth it to get rid of the Chthon stuff entirely.

    The whole elder god thing still works as a morbid, gothic element that's in lockstep with the tone of Robinson's book, while being a hugely important component of her canon and her themes, which have already been pulled apart enough over the past decade.

  6. #51
    Extraordinary Member jackolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post
    In Doctor Strange that's happening because the Empirikul are draining magic from the places he traditionally draws his power. Whereas here, it seems to be that there is someone tampering with witchcraft specifically, which gave Wanda a moment of pause but didn't disrupt her spell. We'll have to see the next issue of Doctor Strange, which has Wanda in it, to see whether or not the tow are related.

    But we've seen nothing to indicate Asgardian magic is at risk or is behaving differently.
    And Sword and Sorcery, Black Knight, Weirdworld? Is that magic as well?

    Yes, I'll have to get that next Dr Strange.

  7. #52
    Endangered Member Reality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Behind you.
    Posts
    962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    And Sword and Sorcery, Black Knight, Weirdworld? Is that magic as well?

    Yes, I'll have to get that next Dr Strange.
    Black Knight pretty much just has the sword, which is just an artifact and shouldn't nbe affected nby any changes to magic. Weirdworld is extradimensional and appears to be a mix of literally everything, but seems unaffected. It's not really magic, just... weird.

  8. #53
    Precious Spice Saffron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post
    It's feminist in the sense that her power is not only removed from physical prowess, which is generally a trait attributed to masculinity, but also in that her femininity and femininity as a whole are what empower her. This is opposed to her getting her power from a man, as Captain Marvel does or she used to. The source of her power being male would only be feminist if she discovered her own source of power and stopped using it. Her power now comes from being a woman instead of a link to a man. It's feminist now and wasn't before. Which is interesting, as it makes a statement about feminine power simply through her actions. Now, it would be REALLY feminist if she were able.to reconcile the two and draw equal power from both.
    Having non-physical powers isn't automatically feminist. By itself, it's just feminine. In fact, the only reason Wanda even has point-and-shoot powers is because of sexism; she was created at a time in which most female characters conformed to traditional gender roles, and were thus, non-physical.

    As to Wanda's powers, it's link to Chthon is not feminist, in itself, but it provides a space in which feminist themes could be explored. Feminist writing isn't just about lionising women; some of the most compelling works offer feminist critique, and often, this comes about through stories in which characters and situations are not representations of feminist ideals. In other words, it's the narrative as a whole that decides if the writing is feminist or not. You can have feminist elements, but still not have a feminist story. I'm still waiting to see if that describes this book. Imo, powered By Womankind isn't far from the Strong Female Character, nowadays - it needs more nuance than that for me to consider it feminist.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post
    And duality is not a feminist concept, really. Feminism is about the equality of the sexes and the stupidity of gender roles. Without the concept of duality those stupidly defining roles wouldn't exist. So it's actually kind of counter to feminism, which is more about unity.

    This all, of course, only refers to feminism as a theory. The behavior of the political groups of the same name varies much more wildly and is far less useful for the analysis of fiction.

    And like the quote from the book I took said, it doesn't outright say she isn't using multiple sources of magic.
    Hmm...we seem to be talking about different things. Perhaps duality was the wrong word here; I should have said plurality, as in, embodying multiple ideas.

  9. #54
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    On Wanda's magic, it's worth noting that writers have traditionally treated Chaos Magic (the power that Chthon imbued Wanda with at birth) and the magic that Agatha Harkness taught Wanda as two separate things. I think it makes sense to say that the magic that Wanda went out of her way to learn is Witchcraft, but, like Saffron, I don't think it's worth it to get rid of the Chthon stuff entirely.
    The first issue left me a bit confused and startled. Wanda's character seems much different than the Scarlet Witch that was in the Avengers. She was never a true witch, and didn't really practice witchcraft -- despite some short-term training from Agatha Harkness. Speaking of whom -- Agatha in pants, sarcastic and evidently powerless?! Ho hum. We never really knew whether or not Agatha was killed in the events leading up to Avengers Disassembled -- or if she had died of natural causes, but I guess now we have the disturbing answer.

    Wanda's powers were apparently always linked to magic -- even when we thought she was only controlling probabilities. I believe Busiek is the writer who introduced Chaos Magic -- as the energy Wanda has been controlling all this time. But never was she able to transform and levitate as she stated. I can see how Robinson had to create new elements for a solo series, but to me, this is really a reinvention of the character -- and I'm not sure I'm on board for it.

  10. #55
    Wanda & Ribrianne~4~Life! CJStriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    9,884

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    The first issue left me a bit confused and startled. Wanda's character seems much different than the Scarlet Witch that was in the Avengers. She was never a true witch, and didn't really practice witchcraft -- despite some short-term training from Agatha Harkness. Speaking of whom -- Agatha in pants, sarcastic and evidently powerless?! Ho hum. We never really knew whether or not Agatha was killed in the events leading up to Avengers Disassembled -- or if she had died of natural causes, but I guess now we have the disturbing answer.

    Wanda's powers were apparently always linked to magic -- even when we thought she was only controlling probabilities. I believe Busiek is the writer who introduced Chaos Magic -- as the energy Wanda has been controlling all this time. But never was she able to transform and levitate as she stated. I can see how Robinson had to create new elements for a solo series, but to me, this is really a reinvention of the character -- and I'm not sure I'm on board for it.
    Honestly I can only got by my own knowledge of Wanda history but most what I get from that combined with what the interpretation I got from James Robinson's new Angle on Wanda's powers. While Indeed it is new I don't really see it as a re-write as much as the Busiek Era Was, THAT was a Re-write in a Major Form.





    What I got from this story was that this was just a new area where Wanda gets some of her skills and roots from. She can draw power from this area of magic as well, IMV this is giving credence to Agatha's side of the world, where Agatha got her powers and now that Agatha is gone Wanda is taking up the Mantle of the next generation. IMV Witchcraft is more of an learned form by what I got from this book, Sure you have the connection to birth with being a Women like Wanda said, but Witchcraft was not enheartened to Wanda like it was when she was a Baby and got her powers for Chaos from being connected to Chthon. THAT is the power that flows from Wanda Naturally without the training from Agatha, like any power does from a Meta Human. What Witchcraft is is the Art of Spellcasting Wanda took up and this is where she gains not only how she casts spells and their style, but from wells of other powers as well.




    As you can see in the Story, James makes focus on the word SPELLS, so that is where I am getting my view on this IMO. I could be wrong, but right now It is a sound belief for me, one I Very Much Like since IMO it En-Riches Wanda's Skill Pool & base and Makes Wanda Maximoff ALL the More Awesome and Skillful compared to other Heroes in her Own Special Way!
    Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!

    ~~ Brianne De Chateau ~ Episode 102, of Dragon Ball Super!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyHGXMH6HB0
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread!

  11. #56
    Wanda & Ribrianne~4~Life! CJStriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    9,884

    Quote Originally Posted by Hariel0079 View Post
    I thought it was a good read.

    Edit: many forget Wanda was trained by Steve Rogers in H2H.

    I like the images of her walking in the day, I took it as a sign of her power as if everything in reality is standing still and she's beyond a lot of people due to her powers.
    Indeed a Majorly Important Point indeed Hariel0079, You have NO IDEA how Much that made me Happy to See James Robinson Emphasizes Wanda's Hand-to-Hand and Reflective Skills she learned From Steve Rogers Himself, Truly Amazing and Important to see for Any to see Just Really How COOL Wanda Is!!! =D






    Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!

    ~~ Brianne De Chateau ~ Episode 102, of Dragon Ball Super!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyHGXMH6HB0
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread!

  12. #57
    CBR's Good Fairy Kieran_Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    8,102

    Default

    Was Wiccan featured or mentioned in this issue?
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

  13. #58
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,202

    Default

    I can appreciate that Wanda has now become more fully entrenched in the world of witchcraft, but just when did this occur? Her training with Agatha was very short-term -- and after that training, Wanda only really used witchcraft to augment her own natural abilities. She was not spell casting. Now she seems to have an endless amount of spells at her call -- none of which seem to even require her natural-born abilities. When and where did she acquire all of this knowledge? And since when is Agatha since a modern woman. Yesterday, I have a chance to read Robinson's Uncanny Avengers Annual and was surprised to see Agatha so young during WWII. I had thought she actually dated back to the days of old Salem. I don't know -- these changes require some explanation. I know that James does his homework -- so I hope this recent mastery of witchcraft gets explained.

  14. #59
    Wanda & Ribrianne~4~Life! CJStriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    9,884

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I can appreciate that Wanda has now become more fully entrenched in the world of witchcraft, but just when did this occur? Her training with Agatha was very short-term -- and after that training, Wanda only really used witchcraft to augment her own natural abilities. She was not spell casting. Now she seems to have an endless amount of spells at her call -- none of which seem to even require her natural-born abilities. When and where did she acquire all of this knowledge? And since when is Agatha since a modern woman. Yesterday, I have a chance to read Robinson's Uncanny Avengers Annual and was surprised to see Agatha so young during WWII. I had thought she actually dated back to the days of old Salem. I don't know -- these changes require some explanation. I know that James does his homework -- so I hope this recent mastery of witchcraft gets explained.
    I think those are Really Legitimate Questions to have about all of this Kcekada and really they are ones that Most Any Scarlet Witch Fan has had about any changes since Scarlet Witch Fandom really began.

    I think with Robinson, as you put it, I trust he will be going deeper into Witchcraft and how Wanda is connected with it as well as Agatha. Now in the past most Magic was under unique but uniformed banners of Dr. Strange and then everyone else. I feel now with Marvel's All-New, All-Different era Marvel is doing something new, not all new but new and that is giving more Variety of Marvel Magic World and having not just Dr. Strange being the main man to most all of it, but each Magical Hero being the powerhouse in their field, at least that is what I got from an interview with Robinson sometime back.

    I take that most of Wanda's Training with Agatha can being easily redefined as Witchcraft Training since Agatha was a witch and being under that banner is easy. So again I don't think it is Huge Re-Defining of Wanda, just more Definition on the Title of her Spellcraft and what section of the Magical World Wanda is apart of. But this is only the Start, we I fully trust James Robinson to give more explaining of Wanda and Witchcraft.

    But indeed any wonderderments or concerns indeed are Valid Fully and we all will have the journey together in finding out where this is all going!
    Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!

    ~~ Brianne De Chateau ~ Episode 102, of Dragon Ball Super!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyHGXMH6HB0
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread!

  15. #60
    Wanda & Ribrianne~4~Life! CJStriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    9,884

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Was Wiccan featured or mentioned in this issue?
    Sadly so Far not Yet Kieran_Frost, it was mostly Wanda and Agatha, not mention about the rest of the Family Sadly.

    I agree though, I am hoping not only to have a mention, but a guest appearance of not only Wiccan but Speed as well, have BOTH of Wanda's Kids even in 1 issue be Epic!
    Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!

    ~~ Brianne De Chateau ~ Episode 102, of Dragon Ball Super!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyHGXMH6HB0
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •