Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Five Villains Spider-Man Could Tangle With in Marvel Studios' Reboot

With Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige promising a new-to-film villain for the MCU's 2017 "Spider-Man" movie, we round up some great new foes.

Full article here.

Villains for future films:
    Mysterio, Kraven, Kingpin, Man-Wolf, Silvermane, Human Fly, Scorpion, Vulture, Hobgoblin (Kingsley), Black Cat

Villains I don’t want to see
    Carnage, Venom, Jackal, Judas Traveller, Joystick, Stunner, Scream, Carrion, Shriek.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Villains for future films:
    Mysterio, Kraven, Kingpin, Man-Wolf, Silvermane, Human Fly, Scorpion, Vulture, Hobgoblin (Kingsley), Black Cat

Villains I don’t want to see
    Carnage, Venom, Jackal, Judas Traveller, Joystick, Stunner, Scream, Carrion, Shriek.
    Black Cat isn't a villain and Venom hasn't been done yet and no the abomination in S3 does not count.

I know they are using Kraven but that really only works for the Kraven Last Hunt story, otherwise he's kind if a joke. Hell he was a joke until that story.

The Problem with Mysterio is he's a guy with a Fish bowl on his head and has no real powers, so will be tough for the audience to take seriously. Ditto with the Vulture an old guy with a glorified hang glider.

For me I would love to see Tombstone/Alastair Smythe/Scorpion/The Chameleon and Morbius and of course I would love too see Venom done properly. He is (with the Green Goblin and Doc Ock) is Spideys major foe and deserves a proper go.
    Last edited by Mauled; 11-13-2015 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauled View Post
    Black Cat isn't a villain and Venom hasn't been done yet and no the abomination in S3 does not count.

I know they are using Kraven but that really only works for the Kraven Last Hunt story, otherwise he's kind if a joke. Hell he was a joke until that story.

The Problem with Mysterio is he's a guy with a Fish bowl on his head and has no real powers, so will be tough for the audience to take seriously. Ditto with the Vulture an old guy with a glorified hang glider.

For me I would love to see Tombstone/Alastair Smythe/Scorpion/The Chameleon and Morbius and of course I would love too see Venom done properly. He is (with the Green Goblin and Doc Ock) is Spideys major foe and deserves a proper go.
    I think having Black Cat start out heroic and staying that way could help differentiate her from Catwoman.

Hey I don't like SM3 either, but I think that is as close to Venom as you could get (especially given how inconsistent Eddie's been written over the years).

Being silly looking hasn't been a problem for most of the villains that have appeared in the MCU so far.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-13-2015 at 09:51 AM.

A "Learning Curve" type story with Kingpin could work, although it'll require at least one name "heavy."

Kraven and Morlun probably work better if Spider-Man's been a bit more established. It could be fun in 2022 to have a 20th anniversary film bringing Spider-Men of different universes together.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

I'm holding out for Scorpion. I think he along with someone like Chameleon would be a good villains for a film.

I would love to see Chameleon on the big screen as well as Kingpin.

Fantastic Member Chicken Pocket's Avatar

The Shocker would be great, or Hydro-Man. Puma would be awesome, too (started out as a villain, anyway).

they should use kingpin, mysterio, or chameleon

All-New Member

Before I even scrolled down to see the list selected by CBR my first thought was Kraven, so I'd be all for that. I also think the rest of the list would work except for Kingpin. Since they've already established Kingpin as a Daredevil villain, just leave him there and let Spidey focus on other adversaries. Unless, of course, they choose to keep him mainly in the background and use some of his "muscle" like Tombstone or Hammerhead. Maybe they could even through the Rose into the mix. Besides CBR's list I think Scorpion and Vulture would be excellent choices, and I'd also like to see them do a proper Rhino (forget the battle mech junk and go with a more traditional comic book approach to the outfit). Ultimately, though, I think the key is not so much the villain as something the CBR writer said in several of the analyses - make a different Spider-Man movie. There are plenty of action super-hero films what with a new Avengers-related project every few months and DC's cinematic universe preparing to overwhelm the market, so given Spider-Man's wide range of opponents, take the opportunity to make a film that might feature a super-hero but doesn't necessarily feel like a super-hero film. From that perspective characters like Kraven or Morbius would be excellent candidates.

I think we have reached a point where special effects could do Mysterio justice. He has a very different look and motivation from all the Spider-Man villains we've seen on the big screen. It would also be perfect for a semi-experienced Spider-Man.

I think the only reason some people want Kraven is that they want some form of Kraven's Last Hunt. If that's the case, they should have him cameo in a film or two as a minor league villain that Spidey easily trashes. That way when he really does strike, the audience will be surprised at how tough he actually is.

Chameleon could work as a villain who slips into the High School. If we do see Chameleon, MJ better kick his butt with a baseball bat.

Kingpin, I seriously doubt because of the Marvel Netflix shows.

And Morlun may come later on. I don't know if we should see him in film before so many other classic Spidey villains.

Because the Green Goblin has been in so many films now, it can't be him. But I would like to see Hobgoblin done as he should be done. People already associate the character with villains that are goblins, so it won't be any kind of stretch for the general movie-going public. And it gives Marvel a chance to do a goblin story correctly.

Three parter - Hogboblin as the main baddie. Maybe throw in some other gangster types and a cameo from someone like Daredevil.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I think having Black Cat start out heroic and staying that way could help differentiate her from Catwoman.

Hey I don't like SM3 either, but I think that is as close to Venom as you could get (especially given how inconsistent Eddie's been written over the years).

Being silly looking hasn't been a problem for most of the villains that have appeared in the MCU so far.
    Venom and Eddie were in that film for 5 minutes before vaporising themselves on that bomb.

A proper black suit or Venom story done properly could easily be done. Hell Batman will have done the Joker 3 times by Suicide squad

Ultimate Member

My Top Five:

1. Mysterio-I've been wanting to see him for a long time.
    2. Kraven-Ditto. It'd be pretty easy to write him as a serious threat actually.
    3. Hobgoblin-Roderick Kingsley, but make his identity a mystery early on.
    4. Black Cat-I REALLY want to see her. But she should be more of a mysterious, morally-ambiguous character.
    5. Kingpin-Seeing SM tangle with him on-film would be great.

work needs to start on the film ASAP. There's no time to waste.