Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Similar to Marvel and DC: nostalgia.
    Accessibility too, they're on the high street unlike any other model game shop. Warmachine and Hordes, Infinity etc don't have that high street presence - Games Workshop do and they can get kids walking in off the street.

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    I do agree comics are overpriced but come on you cant compare it Warhammer at its height cant beat current comic characters in market pen even when the Big 2 were at their lowest...i mean sheesh my Dad is not even from America originally and even can name Superman and Batman.

I am sure most Warhammer Fans could give you a list of 10 DC or Marvel characters before the movies even came out in earnest...how many comic fans can name even 3 Warhammer Characters? Much less the gen pop.
    Many people could also name 5-10 Star Wars characters too. Personally, for the entertainment you get out of comicbooks compared to little plastic spacemen is massive, comicbooks are what $3.99 a "cheap" Warhammer set (10 men space marine tactical squad) is $40 not including the cost to put together and paint. Whereas comicbooks are likely to last a lot longer and let's say you read it 50 times the cost per read is less than 7 cents a read.
    Cohost of the Attilan Rising Podcast available now: Attilan Rising Website | iTunes | Google Play

Monthly Pull List: I don't update this nearly enough

I too believe that WH40K is vastly superior to SW. Never played the tabletop game but can appreciate the gloriously painted figures/tanks. It's a skill-set that I am deeply envious of. Otherwise, GW is run by a horde of jack-holes.

I do/have read the books by the more recognized authors like Abnett, McNeill and I do greatly enjoy the books of the bad guys like the Iron Warriors/Word Bearers. The Ciaphas Cain books are a riot even if it is just a future Flashman. The video games that I've played seem to have been well done. I think if the WH40K universe ever penetrated into the SW world it would grind the entire rebel/empire fairy tale into blood-paste for the blood god. Now that I think of it I do have much more 40k stuff compared to SW.

I have imagined what Disney could do if they ever got their hands on the WH40k IP. Sure the grimdark/gore/ruinous powers would be pulled waaaaaay back but it could be done. The merchandising is already built in to the IP which is right where Disney lives & breathes. Do it! Do it for the Emperor.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Not familiar with Warmachine. Couldn't people use non GW produced miniatures for Warhammer?
    Sure. You can't use them in GW stores or in "official" tournaments, but if you're playing with friends or in a non-affiliated shop, there's no real problem.

Kieron Gillen has a fun tumblr where he's talked about cheap-ish alternatives to standard armies in the fantasy version of Warhammer. His £50 lists are pretty useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Or is preventing stuff like that why GW is so litigious?
    Mostly, yeah. It's also supposedly why they only release information about upcoming releases a week or two before they go on sale. They think it'll prevent copycats.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    I too believe that WH40K is vastly superior to SW. Never played the tabletop game but can appreciate the gloriously painted figures/tanks. It's a skill-set that I am deeply envious of. Otherwise, GW is run by a horde of jack-holes.

I do/have read the books by the more recognized authors like Abnett, McNeill and I do greatly enjoy the books of the bad guys like the Iron Warriors/Word Bearers. The Ciaphas Cain books are a riot even if it is just a future Flashman. The video games that I've played seem to have been well done. I think if the WH40K universe ever penetrated into the SW world it would grind the entire rebel/empire fairy tale into blood-paste for the blood god. Now that I think of it I do have much more 40k stuff compared to SW.

I have imagined what Disney could do if they ever got their hands on the WH40k IP. Sure the grimdark/gore/ruinous powers would be pulled waaaaaay back but it could be done. The merchandising is already built in to the IP which is right where Disney lives & breathes. Do it! Do it for the Emperor.
    *Thread resurrection. I'm actually surprised someone else on this board feels the same way (& loves the books & is a Chaos Space Marine fan no less). I'd love to see a superior company (who respects the IP) purchase GW & try to exploit the 40k IP to it's fullest potential, however I'd not want that company to be Disney simply due to how they could "erase" the canon like they did with the Expanded Universe for SW.

Honestly, I'm not even British but for some reason I just feel that the vast majority of the best & most influential Science Fiction has come outta the UK. My signature is pretty indicative of this viewpoint. That's not to say that there aren't any great Sci-Fi series/stories that aren't from British writers but it seems the Brits are the most imaginative IMO.
    DC Comics, Cthulhu Mythos, Michael Moorcock, 2000AD & Warhammer 40k fanboy

I'm a British sci fi/fantasy fan, so I've always had friends into it, but it has never appealed to me. I just can't imagine spending money on the models when there's so many books, video games and comics out there, it seems macho to a ridiculous level, and, although I have great friends into it, the stores always seem a magnet for the most aggressive/rude "comic store guy" types. I had a try playing the game once but it didn't seem that much fun, maybe I haven't got the imagination.

However, I have great respect for the amazing buildings and scenery the fans build and the art of the models, the art books look amazing, and the novels look good. I can see myself reading the novels someday.

I can't see it rivalling Star Wars fans though as I know tons of deep Star Wars fans from all ages genders and walks of life, wheras all the hardcore Warhammer fans I know are young to middle aged men.

BANNED

For me the Horus Heresy backstory is great, but the 40K setting not so much. My interest in WH40K ends after the duel between the Emperor and his greatest Primarch long before the actual in-game era.

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

A few things in the form of a list...

1: Battletech is far superior to Warhammer 40k, there are more ways to play it with a sort of compatibility that can run though multiple levels of play which range from extremely in depth grid based (with several layers of optional rules which allow for even more in depth complexity if that's what you're into) to quicker playing terrain based games and tabletop RPG elements. Unlike Warhammer, it's totally acceptable to use objects to represent models you don't have (but to be fair, you can do the same with any "home" game of 40k). It's also much cheaper to field a force, especially if you're hip to use the "pre-assembled" plastic minis in the intro box and Alpha Strike lance packs which can be modified by enterprising modellers armed with exacto-knives and green / brown stuff.

2: Warhammer 40k is not superior to Star Wars but it's not far behind.

3: While it has much less content to date, Saga is superior to Star Wars.
    Did you know that every atom in our bodies was once part of a star? Think about that… EVERYTHING changes. Caterpillars turn into butterflies and stars turn into @$$holes.