Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Goggindowner View Post
    As I have already said, I don't care if they want to switch around the races of the characters. It just seems kinda strange that they would make the choice to only change one of them, and it kinda makes me wonder about the people coming up with the concept of the movie in general.
    It's not strange at all. If you've make half your main characters black, your movie will be seen as a "black movie" by some people instead of just a movie, and interracial relationships makes some people uncomfortable. You might think these reasons to not make Sue black are totally stupid (because they are) but those are actual concerns of some studio execs. (To be clear, I'm not part of those people and really couldn't care less about the races of any of these characters or interracial relationships in general.)

Plus, it could just be that Josh Trank really wanted to work with Jordan again and thought Johnny Storm was the character that fit him most, and Trank didn't want to change the casting of Sue Storm.

And again, why is this something that makes you not want to see the film? Yeah, multiracial families are less common than all white or all black families but why do they put you off watching a film? Adopted families still exist in the world, if anything they might appreciate getting some representation.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ant-manic View Post
    but it's not weird. there's nothing weird about a blended and/or multi-ethnic family.
    Well, ok. But that adds another layer to their relationship that wasn't there and, if what many say is true and wont change a thing, wasn't needed. So why do it in the first place? Why not two black people in the team?

Add to that the fact that Sue Storm is the love interest to the white Reed Richards...

It just smells of a case of ''But not too Black.'' Like, we can have ONE black guy on the team to make it just diverse enough but not more than that or else it would be a ''black movie'', as if then you would have to reveal that the Storms are related to a Madea-like character and take them to church.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mastermind View Post
    It's not strange at all. If you've make half your main characters black, your movie will be seen as a "black movie" by some people instead of just a movie, and interracial relationships makes some people uncomfortable. You might think these reasons to not make Sue black are totally stupid (because they are) but those are actual concerns of some studio execs. (To be clear, I'm not part of those people and really couldn't care less about the races of any of these characters or interracial relationships in general.)

Plus, it could just be that Josh Trank really wanted to work with Jordan again and thought Johnny Storm was the character that fit him most, and Trank didn't want to change the casting of Sue Storm.

And again, why is this something that makes you not want to see the film? Yeah, multiracial families are less common than all white or all black families but why do they put you off watching a film? Adopted families still exist in the world, if anything they might appreciate getting some representation.
    Well, now that you've come out and say it, it makes me want to see the film even less (or at least to not pay money for it) so that to not encourage that type of bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    Well, now that you've come out and say it, it makes me want to see the film even less (or at least to not pay money for it) so that to not encourage that type of bullshit.
    Oh, it is completely stupid that such rules exist, but you kinda have to boycott almost all Hollywood movies for having the one black guy rule and not having many interracial relationships on film.

Or you could show your absolute support of the Flash TV series for having Barry's main love interest be black and having her whole family (including Wally) be black too! (plus that show looks really cool anyways)

BANNED

Oh, it is completely stupid that such rules exist, but you kinda have to boycott almost all Hollywood movies for having the one black guy rule and not having many interracial relationships on film.
    I don't think I'll boycott, it. I just wont pay to go see it. I work for a movie site so I'll probably just end up watching for free, I just hate that they actually made a point of doing it and then have the balls to call the people who complained about the Human Torch casting as racists.

Or you could show your absolute support of the Flash TV series for having Barry's main love interest be black and having her whole family (including Wally) be black too! (plus that show looks really cool anyways)
    That does look pretty good, even without the interracial couple.

but it's not weird. there's nothing weird about a blended and/or multi-ethnic family.
    The multi-racial family isn't what I take issue with. My issue is that the creators of this movie looked at the source material, saw two biological siblings, and thought only one of them needed to be black. White Reed on Black Sue love wouldn't/doesn't bother me in the least. The inclusion of one black character that, in every form of media the character has ever been portrayed in, is the biological sibling of another character you cast as white is a strange decision to me. Note, the idea of a multi-racial family isn't what I think is strange. It's the casting choice in regard to these specific characters.

It could be any of those things or it could be all of them. I get it. In Hollywood Exec's mind: Reed can't be black because he's the smart leader. Ben can't be black, because he turns into rock and you wouldn't be able to tell. Doom can't be black, because he's a villain. Sue can't be black, because she hooks up with our decidedly white Reed. So that leaves just Johnny. But wait, that's Sue's brother. How do we explain that? Oh hell, who cares? No body cares about the source material anyway.

With that type of attitude going into the movie, it makes me not so excited about what other aspects of the story will fly in the face of the source material. I don't think that source material is a bible that must be followed to the letter, but simple things like making sure these two "always and forever" biological, full blooded siblings, sharing the same mother and father, are the same race, regardless of which race you choose, is kind of an issue to me.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

BANNED

How do we explain that? Oh hell, who cares? No body cares about the source material anyway.
    By having them be a blended family...
    It's not really that hard.

For all we know Sue and Johnny in the film could have grown up together since they were toddlers.
    Still sharing the same family bond.
    The only difference would be skin color as far as that bond goes.

As for not caring about source material.
    There are WAAAAY bigger problems than Johnny being black.

Oh and quick question, what were your thoughts on the previous cast?
    Last edited by Alvarez; 06-18-2014 at 03:49 PM.

BANNED

The multi-racial family isn't what I take issue with. My issue is that the creators of this movie looked at the source material, saw two biological siblings, and thought only one of them needed to be black. White Reed on Black Sue love wouldn't/doesn't bother me in the least. The inclusion of one black character that, in every form of media the character has ever been portrayed in, is the biological sibling of another character you cast as white is a strange decision to me. Note, the idea of a multi-racial family isn't what I think is strange. It's the casting choice in regard to these specific characters.

It could be any of those things or it could be all of them. I get it. In Hollywood Exec's mind: Reed can't be black because he's the smart leader. Ben can't be black, because he turns into rock and you wouldn't be able to tell. Doom can't be black, because he's a villain. Sue can't be black, because she hooks up with our decidedly white Reed. So that leaves just Johnny. But wait, that's Sue's brother. How do we explain that? Oh hell, who cares? No body cares about the source material anyway.

With that type of attitude going into the movie, it makes me not so excited about what other aspects of the story will fly in the face of the source material. I don't think that source material is a bible that must be followed to the letter, but simple things like making sure these two "always and forever" biological, full blooded siblings, sharing the same mother and father, are the same race, regardless of which race you choose, is kind of an issue to me.
    where are you getting this from?

BANNED

Well, ok. But that adds another layer to their relationship that wasn't there and, if what many say is true and wont change a thing, wasn't needed.

like you said, it adds another layer. that doesn't sound like a bad thing, to me. all that's "needed" is them being brother and sister. that hasn't changed.

Why not two black people in the team?
    there'd be just as much controversy if Johnny and Sue were cast with black actors. people would still be saying that it wasn't necessary and that it changes the dynamic of the group. but none of it should matter. having a black johnny and sue isn't any wilder or more disrespectful than having one be black and the other white. their skin color shouldn't matter.

Add to that the fact that Sue Storm is the love interest to the white Reed Richards...
    which ignores that Johnny's dad was probably with a white woman. and Johnny, himself, might be with a white girl (if Alicia ever turns up and isn't cast with a black actress).

It just smells of a case of ''But not too Black.'' Like, we can have ONE black guy on the team to make it just diverse enough but not more than that or else it would be a ''black movie'', as if then you would have to reveal that the Storms are related to a Madea-like character and take them to church.
    Johnny's father is black. and i'm betting that Trank wasn't thinking about race when he cast Michael B Jordan. he just likes the guy's acting style. and someone liked Kate Mara as an actor. why overthink it? and why focus on skin color when there's plenty of other superficial stuff to criticize?
    Last edited by Gordon; 06-18-2014 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Edited for content

where are you getting this from?
    Based off of the comments of Mr Mastermind.

" If you've make half your main characters black, your movie will be seen as a "black movie" by some people instead of just a movie, and interracial relationships makes some people uncomfortable. You might think these reasons to not make Sue black are totally stupid (because they are) but those are actual concerns of some studio execs. "

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    Oh and quick question, what were your thoughts on the previous cast?
    I wasn't blown away by that cast at all. Evens was a decent enough choice, but it wasn't anything special. I also didn't particularly care for either of the first two films.

Edit: If you are specifically looking for a comment about the casting of Alba as Sue Storm, it was the worst choice in the casting by far. The fact they cast a Latina actress to play the role, then tried their hardest to make her look as white as possible was a terrible decision.
    Last edited by Goggindowner; 06-18-2014 at 04:51 PM.

BANNED

Based off of the comments of Mr Mastermind.

" If you've make half your main characters black, your movie will be seen as a "black movie" by some people instead of just a movie, and interracial relationships makes some people uncomfortable. You might think these reasons to not make Sue black are totally stupid (because they are) but those are actual concerns of some studio execs. "
    ahhh. well, i don't agree about it being concern. but would you have settled for Reed and Johnny being black with Sue being white?

ahhh. well, i don't agree about it being concern. but would you have settled for Reed and Johnny being black with Sue being white?
    It doesn't bother me either, and I think it is becoming less of an issue. The show Scandal has featured a black/white romantic relationship through out it's entire series run, and it's one of the most popular shows on TV.

I like how we know everything about relationships of our main characters. Could someone give me a link to that trailer?

BANNED

it's the easiest thing to say 'i wouldn't have problem if they made sue black too' or the other one 'i wouldn't mind if they made reed black'. it's not something that can be proven or challenged
    Last edited by 7thangel; 06-18-2014 at 11:24 PM.