Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Romita Brings Iconic Energy to DC with "Superman" #32

CBR takes an early look at next week's "Superman" #32, the first DC Comics work by legendary artist John Romita Jr. after decades at Marvel.

Full article here.

All-New Member

Liked his work in the past, but I'm just not excited by what I've seen so far on Superman. Hopefully (for me anyway), it gets better.

Spectacular Member

I'm most intrigued, the preview looked interesting. What could wreck things is an overemphasis on Superman as lonely soul - the guy was raised with family and friends and has plenty of peers he can talk to about super-stuff ... this is the perfect time to have Supergirl and Superman build a loving friendship.
    How ironic (choke)

I get that he's "legendary" but come on, he's not good anymore.

i've actually never liked him, but in the 80's and 90's i could deal with it. but since AvX he's been awful.

Retired

I will never get used to the new numbering. When I see SUPERMAN 32, I think of the famous "it tickles" cover--I imagine others think of Gladiator Kal-El getting punched out by Mongul. Is this in quotes thing a new editorial style--putting magazine titles in quotes, rather than using italics, all caps or bold--or is the quotes around the title supposed to indicate something about the title? These days when we use air quotes we often mean that this isn't to be taken as gospel truth. I think putting a * next to the new-numbered title would be better. It gets confusing when quotes aren't used for their proper purpose [to indicate a direct quotation or to indicate a title within a larger collection].

BANNED

I just have no excitement for this. Partly because the New 52 version of Superman sucks and partly because JRJR's art just doesn't do much for me anymore. Had this happened maybe ten years ago or so, it might've been a must buy. Now, it's a pass.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

My concern is that this will be another "bait and switch" with Superman that DC has done time and time again.

"Let's bring a big-name creative team to Superman, have them stay for 4-6 issues, and then replace them with an average/mediocre crew".

What Superman has desperately needed FOR YEARS is a creative team akin to Jurgens' run with the character in the 90s or Johns' run with Green Lantern - people who have long-term plans with the character and want to stick with him for a long while.

"Weird" is not the word I would use. It is AWESOME to have someone of John Romita Jr's caliber working on a series at DC. He is just what the New 52 Superman titles needed.

I have to say I'm not a big fan of the art. It looks too much like Marvel.

Astonishing Member

I love the art myself. It has that neo-Kirby vibe that is perfect for Superman, but without being overly imitative like Giffen's art in Forever People.

Really bummed I don't have the budget to check this out, even if I'm ambivalent about Johns.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

So.....I take it the hairy dude is this Ulysses fellow?
    Because considering the design, "Samson" would have been more appropriate, as far as mythological heroes go.
    Seriously, it's like the kind of hair design you would find in a mange, but since it doesn't look like a manga at all, it just feels weird.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

For thoughtful observers of the comic book industry, there's one major question surrounding next week's release of "Superman" #32: How weird will it be to see John Romita Jr. drawing DC Comics characters?
    We've seen him draw DC characters at least once: the second Batman/Punisher prestige format crossover. His Batman was really good.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    I'm most intrigued, the preview looked interesting. What could wreck things is an overemphasis on Superman as lonely soul - the guy was raised with family and friends and has plenty of peers he can talk to about super-stuff ... this is the perfect time to have Supergirl and Superman build a loving friendship.
    I hope that Johns will develop Superman relationships in daily planet specially, I'm really tired of poor lonely supes

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    So.....I take it the hairy dude is this Ulysses fellow?
    Because considering the design, "Samson" would have been more appropriate, as far as mythological heroes go.
    Seriously, it's like the kind of hair design you would find in a mange, but since it doesn't look like a manga at all, it just feels weird.
    imagine the hair coreograph. "I whip my hair back and forth" song lol
    Last edited by Blacksun; 06-16-2014 at 10:30 AM.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

It is still wild to see JRJR drawing an actual DC comic. From the preview images I have seen thus far, he will not disappoint in the least! I am really excited for this!

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    My concern is that this will be another "bait and switch" with Superman that DC has done time and time again.

"Let's bring a big-name creative team to Superman, have them stay for 4-6 issues, and then replace them with an average/mediocre crew".

What Superman has desperately needed FOR YEARS is a creative team akin to Jurgens' run with the character in the 90s or Johns' run with Green Lantern - people who have long-term plans with the character and want to stick with him for a long while.
    Superman does need his own Scott Snyder but I don't think anyone is stepping forward to take up the reigns and dedicate him/herself to that role for years to come. I am not sure why though. Seems to me it would be a great gig. Perhaps it has to do with Editorial? Superman is DC's poster boy, so perhaps they will not allow anything major to happen to him, nor cede control over the character for any lengthy period of time.
    Last edited by RobinFan4880; 06-16-2014 at 10:32 AM.

I like JRJR's work. Coupled with Geoff Johns, who has been by far one of DC's most high profile writers, and this will definitely raise Superman's profile. My only concern is that it'll end up facing delays like Superman Unchained. And nothing kills a series faster than excessive delays.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.