Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    "So you spent how long not wearing a costume?"
    Hahaha beat me to it

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Hahaha beat me to it
    I just don't see how this "joke" is funny. Both Clark in the New 52 and Clark on Smallville started wearing proto-costumes at the exact same age: 22 years-old. The only difference between the two characters is that New 52 Clark was able to wear the new biotech suit he found as soon as he found it whereas Clark on Smallville had to wait a year because Jor-El's AI at the Fortress stole the costume his mother made for him. We're talking about a difference of about a year. It's hardly worth joking about, especially when one considers that most Clark Kents have donned their iconic costumes even later. I think if New 52 Superman said something like that to Smallville's Superman, he'd look like an ignorant jerk. The comment only works as a sincere question rather than a question with the intent to tease or poke fun.
    Last edited by misslane; 06-14-2014 at 01:18 PM.

Re member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I would love to get the old Superman back. Before Goyer made him renounce his American citizenship of course.
    I need to dig that issue out again. I thought he said he was going to, but that we never saw it happen or heard about it again in story.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    I just don't see how this "joke" is funny. Both Clark in the New 52 and Clark on Smallville started wearing proto-costumes at the exact same age: 22 years-old. The only difference between the two characters is that New 52 Clark was able to wear the new biotech suit he found as soon as he found it whereas Clark on Smallville had to wait a year because Jor-El's AI at the Fortress stole the costume his mother made for him. We're talking about a difference of about a year. It's hardly worth joking about, especially when one considers that most Clark Kents have donned their iconic costumes even later. I think if New 52 Superman said something like that to Smallville's Superman, he'd look like an ignorant jerk. The comment only works as a sincere question rather than a question with the intent to tease or poke fun.
    If it's not funny to you that's cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    This.

I'd take the Golden Age bruiser who fought for the little guy. And I'll take the super-scientist who explored the stars and discovered mirco-dimensions and uncovered the deep secrets of the universe. And thanks to Morrison, we sort of have a bit of both worlds diluted into one version currently. Its not perfect and gods know the New52 Superman has his flaws but I wouldnt trade this for any post-Crisis version, from Bryne to JMS.

Kurosawa and I dont agree on a whole lot it seems, but I think we agree in our general disliking of the post-Crisis Superman, and our affinity for the Gold/Silver Age versions of the character.
    Slide me in on this team!

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    Well said. I even like some Silver Age Superman stories but there's cringe worthy material in every incarnation. I'm looking forward to what Johns does with the character but I'm not too keen on New 52 Superman just cause he seems a little diluted for my tastes, trying to be all things to all fans. I'd love to see a variation of the alternative ending to CoIE come to pass in Multiversity.

"According to George Pérez in a Wizard magazine interview in 1994, Chris Claremont suggested that Superman of Earth-One dies in the final battle with the Anti-Monitor in issue #12. After the Anti-Monitor was destroyed for good, Kal-L from Earth-Two realizes that he is now alone, without his Earth, without his Lois, and now the new single Earth is without a Superman. Then he remarks, "Don't need this anymore," and brushes the white dye off his hair and other make-up that he apparently used to make himself look aged. The other heroes are surprised by this and Kal-L simply explains that he had stopped aging when he reached the peak of his powers. He returns with the other heroes to the new post-Crisis Earth, taking the place of the Earth-One Superman."
    Oh my I would actually LOVE that ending.....like REALLY LOVED this ending! The golden age "seen it all" tough guy Superman being stuck in the wacky silver age world. What would his interactions have been? What would him and Lois have been like? This could have been the single most creative idea for Superman in all of his history.

Johns did something like this with the JSA and the KC Superman I think. Props to Perez for thinking this up!
    Last edited by Superlad93; 06-14-2014 at 04:03 PM.

oops

10 characters
    Last edited by Superlad93; 06-14-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

A team up between our Superman, SMALLVILLE's Superman, George Reeves Superman, Golden Age Superman, and Silver Age Superman would be wild.

Haha, nice one.

BANNED

Haha no thank you.

Let's move forwards.
    It's been said that if you're lost, the shortest path to your destination is to go back to the last point where you weren't lost. Continuing blindly forward will only get you more lost.

There are definite advantages to taking the New 52 back a ways. Not that I believe they will.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    It's been said that if you're lost, the shortest path to your destination is to go back to the last point where you weren't lost. Continuing blindly forward will only get you more lost.

There are definite advantages to taking the New 52 back a ways. Not that I believe they will.
    I actually think the New52 Superman was a response to that exact type of thinking.

Keep in mind this is concerning Superman only and not the rest of the New52.

By the time Grounded hit, Superman was about as far from being Superman as it gets. Bryne tried to make him more of an Everyman archetype in '86, and odds are that was the best direction to take Superman at the time. Thats open to debate, but we can save that for another thread. Anyway, he went from SUPERman to, under Bryne, a superMAN and it worked out fairly well. I'd say that even into the mid 90's that mindset worked. Hell, possibly even into the very early 2000's. But by the time Grounded rolled around a decade later the character had spiraled out of control and become this moping, unstable mess that no one cared about or liked.

When Morrison came in with the New52, he brought Superman, quite literally, back to basics. The Golden Age bruiser with a heart of gold. And within Morrison's run we saw that brash young man grow into a global hero tackling cosmic threats and using his brain just as much (if not more) than his brawn, which largely defined the Silver Age version. And that's continued thus far. I'd say that the Greg Pak/Grant Morrison/Scott Lobdell Superman is far closer to the original than what we had beforehand, even if Lobdell can't write dialogue or pacing to save his life. Even Perez wrote a Superman with more in common with the early-mid Bronze Age than with the post-Bryne, JMS/Johns era.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Haha, nice one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    If it's not funny to you that's cool
    I don't find Superman being a bully very funny, sorry. So, yes, we obviously have very different senses of humor. Mainly, though, I don't think Smallville's Clark deserves to be undeservedly mocked for something that simply isn't true or fair. That's what bullies would do, and I think if New 52 Superman were to ask such a question in a judgmental way, it would make him look like the inferior Superman. YMMV.
    Last edited by misslane; 06-14-2014 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Super-Cyke View Post
    Do you want the old Superman back?
    In one word: No

In a few more words: I'm totally happy to stick with the New 52 version and keep building on his character ... true there have been a few hiccups along the way since the reboot but that usually happens whenever new ground is being explored, plus I suspect a bit more stability (whilst retaining significant and essential newness) will materialise when Geoff Johns and JR jr get their run under way.

BANNED

I am a bit confused here. Aren't the New 52 the Pre-52 remorphed?
    The last issue of Flashpoint gave me that impression.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    I don't find Superman being a bully very funny, sorry. So, yes, we obviously have very different senses of humor. Mainly, though, I don't think Smallville's Clark deserves to be undeservedly mocked for something that simply isn't true or fair. That's what bullies would do, and I think if New 52 Superman were to ask such a question in a judgmental way, it would make him look like the inferior Superman. YMMV.
    It's a really, really small joke. I imagine SM Clark would laugh.
    Buh-bye

BANNED

lol uber pwnge