Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    If any comic or live action (in comic form) versions of Superman were to meet, I'd rather see them team up to defeat a bad guy or talk about the parents they miss. None of this comparing notes only to ridicule stuff.
    Honestly, I think it would be kind of natural. I mean, if I met a different version of myself with only a couple differences, I'd probably find them an insufferable shmuck. More on point, if you showed each version of Superman the other takes, they'd probably find the tellings oversimplified or overcomplicated, insincere or overly maudlin. And multiply all that many times over actually meeting those guys. I don't think they'd be mean to each other--the costume joke hardly counts--but there'd be plenty of comparing notes.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Honestly, I think it would be kind of natural. I mean, if I met a different version of myself with only a couple differences, I'd probably find them an insufferable shmuck. More on point, if you showed each version of Superman the other takes, they'd probably find the tellings oversimplified or overcomplicated, insincere or overly maudlin. And multiply all that many times over actually meeting those guys. I don't think they'd be mean to each other--the costume joke hardly counts--but there'd be plenty of comparing notes.
    I have an identical twin sister, so I understand how natural it is to compare oneself with someone similar. However, it's because of my experience that I know that such similarity is more likely to inspire empathy. If I met a version of myself and the first thing they asked me was about when I hit some sort of milestone, it's exactly the kind of thing that would have made me think they were the insufferable schmuck. Comparing notes to get to know each other makes sense, but only if that is the sentiment behind it. However, the costume joke comes from an initial place of pettiness and competitiveness. However, to spare this thread, I'll address that matter of the joke more extensively in a private message to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    Hmm you always struck me as a fan of the Silver Age. Why would you prefer bad Bronze/modern age Superman?
    I am a huge fan of the silver age. I just like a lot of things that weren't implemented until Post-Crisis.

And not modern Superman. Byrne's Superman. I just didn't like Supes very much during the period of time Lois and Jimmy had titles.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Bleeding Cool does have a track record of predicting future events in comics. They were the ones that predicted the Superman/Wonder Woman relationship nearly a year in advance. If this turns out to be true and the pre-New 52 world comes back into play, I hope it doesn't stick. The pre-New 52 world would only complicate the current state of affairs. It feels like it would just be another incarnation of Trinity War and Forever Evil in that it has heroes either fighting each other or other versions of themselves. And I would rather not see that. We've had enough superheroes battling each other. In my experience, the more alternate universes that are thrown into the mix, the more complicated the continuity becomes. DC's continuity is complicated enough and one of the benefits of the New 52 was how it streamlined everything. By abandoning that, the New 52 will just end up with the same flaws its predecessor had.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeb View Post
    Bronze-age Superman? Yes, please. Flashpoint era? Not so much.
    AMEN to that

BANNED

I would love to know that the Classic suit and all are still out there to visit from time to time. You can't kill a classic as to many people know what the character is and how he looked for over 70 years. If we could get a Bronze Age style with all the classic looks and story types I'd be the first in line to pick up every book it was in.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Well, it's not even about being mean. After all, "wait , you spent how long without a costume" doesn't even have to be a jab (and if it is, it's more likely to be one from the author of the crossover than from the character), more like the other Superman being surprised because you know, alternate dimensions and stuff. Would be like me discovering alternate me became a mathematician or something. It would surprise me.
    But yeah, you can bet that two alternate versions of the same person are totally going to compare notes ("So, Lex isn't your ex best friend from Smallville? -Of course, not. Why would I be friend with Luthor?").
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Bleeding Cool does have a track record of predicting future events in comics. They were the ones that predicted the Superman/Wonder Woman relationship nearly a year in advance. If this turns out to be true and the pre-New 52 world comes back into play, I hope it doesn't stick. The pre-New 52 world would only complicate the current state of affairs. It feels like it would just be another incarnation of Trinity War and Forever Evil in that it has heroes either fighting each other or other versions of themselves. And I would rather not see that. We've had enough superheroes battling each other. In my experience, the more alternate universes that are thrown into the mix, the more complicated the continuity becomes. DC's continuity is complicated enough and one of the benefits of the New 52 was how it streamlined everything. By abandoning that, the New 52 will just end up with the same flaws its predecessor had.
    WHY Would you want the Pre-New 52 not to stick around....I mean considering the various problems that the new 52 has already created and some still hasn't been solved.

I mean given how Pandora was reduced to being a woman with great power to manipulated people and worlds into being merged a woman with a box that opened the gateway to Earth-3.

And also the various titles that were canceled since the new 52 launch and don't even start with the various history changes that were caused thanks to the whole 5 years thing that was more of a hindrance than a help.

Why wouldn't you want to see if DC is willing to fix what they made broken and try to please fans into given back what they once loved and admired ?

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Well, it's not even about being mean. After all, "wait , you spent how long without a costume" doesn't even have to be a jab (and if it is, it's more likely to be one from the author of the crossover than from the character), more like the other Superman being surprised because you know, alternate dimensions and stuff. Would be like me discovering alternate me became a mathematician or something. It would surprise me.
    But yeah, you can bet that two alternate versions of the same person are totally going to compare notes ("So, Lex isn't your ex best friend from Smallville? -Of course, not. Why would I be friend with Luthor?").
    Responding via PM because we were warned to steer clear of this topic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    WHY Would you want the Pre-New 52 not to stick around....I mean considering the various problems that the new 52 has already created and some still hasn't been solved.

I mean given how Pandora was reduced to being a woman with great power to manipulated people and worlds into being merged a woman with a box that opened the gateway to Earth-3.

And also the various titles that were canceled since the new 52 launch and don't even start with the various history changes that were caused thanks to the whole 5 years thing that was more of a hindrance than a help.

Why wouldn't you want to see if DC is willing to fix what they made broken and try to please fans into given back what they once loved and admired ?
    For some reasons DC readers still didn't LET it go completely from the pre-52. If DC will show it so soon, it mean that they know people still have ties to it. I was in a comics festival with lots od DC artists and Geoff johns, Larry Ganem asked "who here likes the new 52?" in a place with 500 people,3 or 4 say yes and most people were looking at eachother. That was so fun lol
    I think DC is trying to win some money based on it

There's nothing to be won by dwelling into the past. Let's go forward.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    There's nothing to be won by dwelling into the past. Let's go forward.
    A good portion of the past was a much better place then what you see today in comics. It certainly was much more fun to read and didn't take itself to seriously nor did the fans for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post

As I said before, the DCU *was* broken before the reboot.

Come on people. You dont fix something when it's working. DC might make some creative choices that dont pan out, and now and then they'll do something supremely stupid, but dont pretend that the DCU was some sort of wonderland full of brilliance that the Demon Didio took away from you because he's EEVVVIIILLLL! Sales were terrible, market share was worse, and outside of a couple quality titles (REBELS, Batgirl, Secret 6) everything was creatively bankrupt, and had been for years.

The fact that Superman's origin was "multiple choice" for so long sort of proves the point doesnt it? When even the company throws its hands in the air and says "I have no idea!" you know you're in a bad place.

The New52 is far, far away from being perfect. Certain aspects of it really did not pan out well at all and a few characters ended up way worse off. But lets move forward, and not regress to a continuity that was failing. The old continuity is why we got a reboot in the first place. Maybe you enjoyed it more. If so, you're in the minority (as sales and market performance over the last three years indicate.)
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Because its gone. Its done. They chose to do this so stand by it. It's not perfect but has been a far cry from a failure.

There's some properties that got mucked up by the reboot, that much is certain, and if they want to fix that of course they should, but within the context of the new 'verse, not in spite of it. Furthermore a lot of stuff was made a **** ton better. Superman a prime example. Leave that alone.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-16-2014 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Because the New 52 Superman is a **** ton better. Virtually none of the problems the New 52 gave rise to have anything to do with Superman.

If this is designed to fix problems the New 52 created, stick with the franchises that actually got mucked up: Batman, GL (from continuity standpoints), and Teen Titans (from an everything standpoint).
    In terms of just sales, Superman comics are selling about as well as they did back in 2009. Beyond subjective preferences, I see little evidence that New 52 Superman is markedly better than his most immediate predecessor.