Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

BTW, I had to modify the post a bunch. I didn't realize till after I posted that that the comment was referring to New 52 as a whole. My fault.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-16-2014 at 03:58 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    As I said before, the DCU *was* broken before the reboot.

Come on people. You dont fix something when it's working. DC might make some creative choices that dont pan out, and now and then they'll do something supremely stupid, but dont pretend that the DCU was some sort of wonderland full of brilliance that the Demon Didio took away from you because he's EEVVVIIILLLL! Sales were terrible, market share was worse, and outside of a couple quality titles (REBELS, Batgirl, Secret 6) everything was creatively bankrupt, and had been for years.

The fact that Superman's origin was "multiple choice" for so long sort of proves the point doesnt it? When even the company throws its hands in the air and says "I have no idea!" you know you're in a bad place.

The New52 is far, far away from being perfect. Certain aspects of it really did not pan out well at all and a few characters ended up way worse off. But lets move forward, and not regress to a continuity that was failing. The old continuity is why we got a reboot in the first place. Maybe you enjoyed it more. If so, you're in the minority (as sales and market performance over the last three years indicate.)
    pretty fun that it was Didio that wrecked DCU old universe, it's not like the universe screw up himself alone. Lee and didio did it. Only JL and Batman sell more than pre new 52.
    pre new 52 there was batgirl, red robin, a good supergirl. there was pretty of quality books. It's not like 52 is swimming on quality.
    Last edited by Blacksun; 06-16-2014 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    BTW, I had to modify the post a bunch. I didn't realize till after I posted that that the comment was referring to New 52 as a whole. My fault.
    How has the New 52 Superman proven to be a ton better than what he was as recently as five years ago? I get that some might find the character subjectively more appealing but the same could be said about Post-Crisis Superman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    How has the New 52 Superman proven to be a ton better than what he was as recently as five years ago? I get that some might find the character subjectively more appealing but the same could be said about Post-Crisis Superman.
    wrong direction and unfullfilled potential. that's what keep apart new 52 superman from success

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    wrong direction and unfullfilled potential. that's what keep apart new 52 superman from success
    And what would be the "right" direction?
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Walking across America, obvs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    You just summed up the argument and won the whole thing. That right there is why pre-52 Superman was an abject failure.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Hehe.
    That and putting Lex Luthor in control of one of his books for 12 issues.
    Joking aside, I'm genuinely interested in the answer, actually.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    In terms of just sales, Superman comics are selling about as well as they did back in 2009. Beyond subjective preferences, I see little evidence that New 52 Superman is markedly better than his most immediate predecessor.
    Of course you wouldnt. Perhaps you should look at some reviews.

Everyone universally hated Grounded, and New Krypton didnt get much love either. This was just the tail end of a long downward spiral in the quality and popularity of Superman comics too (the comics, not the character itself) which lasted a decade.

The New52 Superman has seen much better reviews. Morrison's run was hailed as a success (not perfect, but still a success) and Pak's run seems to be immensely popular with reviewers too. Lobdell was certainly a weak spot but even he got more love than Grounded and WoNK. In fact, the runs that *feel* too similar to the old continuity Superman (such as Jurgens and Perez) are the ones that dont seem popular.

Sales have settled back down to roughly the same place they were at, true. But it took quite a while to get there; Action and Superman were both Top 20 for quite some time and only got kicked down the ranks due to Marvel's massively hyped and marketed A/X mega-Event and the "NOW" campaign that followed. And sales are not a full indicator of success either. Many of the highest quality, most raved about books never sell that well. Dial H, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Red Lanterns, Invincible, Saga, Captain Marvel....none of these books set the sales rankings on fire but each one of them is regarded as high quality "must-read" titles.

EDIT: I may be giving Captain Marvel a little too much credit. It's popular among critics, but not on the same level as the others. That's my personal bias showing and I admit it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

And now we can end that argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Something like "All Star Superman", where Superman can do anything and isn't concerned with pushing Superman is just an average person among us.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

BANNED

if he was flying at least...

Just put the character back to basics (reboot did it), develop the character and his human relationships (clark is a important factor of success of this character). Also big creative teams in the long term.
    there isn't a equation(Iguess) but new 52 failed in 3 of there rewuirements

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    A good portion of the past was a much better place then what you see today in comics. It certainly was much more fun to read and didn't take itself to seriously nor did the fans for that matter.
    And a good portion was not so we better move forward let's create something better than what is now and what was before.

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    And a good portion was not so we better move forward let's create something better than what is now and what was before.
    So basically you're subscribing to the philosophy that just because something is old, it can't be better than what's new and should be ignored in favor of the new?
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    Something like "All Star Superman", where Superman can do anything and isn't concerned with pushing Superman is just an average person among us.
    Hopefully without the nonsense of Superman dying due to too much sunlight.