Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Planet busters

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfo View Post
    Nope, it wasn't.

Yeah, after Gladiator busts the planet, a "Devonian Xontar" an alien that appears to be a sentient fart "floats" out of the debris of the planet to attack him. It reflects his rage and beats on him until Gladiator surrenders his anger and the creature then in turn turns into a flower to reflect his new found calmness.
    Ah I didn't know that. But you said it yourself that it might not be a native life form and unless noted as such ,that wouldn't be contradicting the narrative

I am confused at the inconsistency of your argument. You agree that planets are not all uniform, but you would like them to be, at least when depicted within the confines of the same story arc. I disagree that all planets should be the same vanilla flavour.
    Ok just to be clear . The planets themselves don't have to be uniform but the character's reaction to them in the same story at least should be . That the planets are themselves neither uniform nor noted to be such ( planets that is) is simply another mark on top of that

Let me clarify, I m not arguing that Gladiator did not bust a planet. Just that if you look hard enough at any feat you could probably find a few holes. Your indicator in this instance is the narrative, which called the planet a "lifeless" world, and Gladiator a "God", an argument could be made that the narration is full of hyperbole and should be dismissed as i) there was life on that world (might not have been native but even so) and ii) Gladiator is not a "God" and not typically portrayed as such.
    Eh unless it's explicitly contradicting the narration ( like the moon "around" Thor not exploding ), on panel feats + narration to explain their nature is just fine. Does the presence of a ( possibly alien , in your own words ) , maybe sentient life form make the world exploding on panel invalid ? I don't think so

Does Thor not having the moon explode around him when narration says " worlds are shattered around him" make the feat invalid ? Especially when the world / whatever below him is also not exploding ? Yeah , since it directly contradicts what's being said

As for Gladiator being a God , that's eh very clearly hyperbole , nothing on panel suggests him being one as opposed to the world being shattered on panel

I suspect though you are right . It's a more case by case basis than the sweeping generalisation I'm making

Sometimes, you can miss the forest for the trees, and I feel (I stress feel as this is completely subjective) that we are doing it here with BRB's feat.

Edit: I just realised I am guilty of this^^ *facepalm* you are right the BRB feat is a one shot, it's a charged up strike but is one hit. Apologies DK.
    With BRB it's more that it's contradicted by his own reaction to planets exploding in the very series and his career as a whole more than anything . If narration (or something ) had explicitly noted otherwise we wouldn't be looking at it so closely I guess

But it doesn't and it comes across as at best inconsistent with not only his career but also the series itself .

The Midgard Serpent was causing the planet to shake, etc, while being moved. Might not be as big as a planet, but it was definitely doing you're doing work.

With the Gorr fight.. Planets have moons. If the narration says world's are shattering (not exploding) and the thing they're standing on does exactly that, then Thor, seeing that a moon is doing the same, proceeds to rush off and stop it from getting worse, there really isn't a contradiction.

Feats can have multiple things going for them. Not just 'this' or 'that'.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Again though, Bill started as a Thor level brick who then got handed a power up courtesy of Odin. He's since done stuff like plant Warrior Madness Thir in his kiester. (And then admittedly lost, but WM Thir was taking out the the Silver Surfer in that story so there no shame in that.)

He also later isn't phased by a planet erupting under him in Godhunter, admittedly in a situation where he would have taken less damage than the Asteroth example.

Godhunter also had him using WMDs to wipe out planets rather than just smashing them, but you could argue he needed to focus on Herald fighting and whatnot himself.

You could also make a case for Bill's planet breaking energy spike involving channeling some of Stardust's own power against him, which is still hella impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Again though, Bill started as a Thor level brick who then got handed a power up courtesy of Odin. He's since done stuff like plant Warrior Madness Thir in his kiester. (And then admittedly lost, but WM Thir was taking out the the Silver Surfer in that story so there no shame in that.)

He also later isn't phased by a planet erupting under him in Godhunter, admittedly in a situation where he would have taken less damage than the Asteroth example.

Godhunter also had him using WMDs to wipe out planets rather than just smashing them, but you could argue he needed to focus on Herald fighting and whatnot himself.

You could also make a case for Bill's planet breaking energy spike involving channeling some of Stardust's own power against him, which is still hella impressive.
    He well still lost to WM Thor and as far as direct comparisons with Surfer go , even after said power up Surfer beat him down while apologising for what he was doing , without particular effort

The Godhunter example is weird because everything blows up except the piece of land he's standing on. It's like ....he's not taking any damage at all

http://i.imgur.com/JurwANt.jpg

Eh well, I've said my bit . I don't view BRB as particularly above the Thor bracket myself , but that's just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    He well still lost to WM Thor and as far as direct comparisons with Surfer go , even after said power up Surfer beat him down while apologising for what he was doing , without particular effort

The Godhunter example is weird because everything blows up except the piece of land he's standing on. It's like ....he's not taking any damage at all

http://i.imgur.com/JurwANt.jpg

Eh well, I've said my bit . I don't view BRB as particularly above the Thor bracket myself , but that's just my opinion
    Surfer rips open black holes as a distraction, zorches planets to prove a point, and emerges unscratched from point blank energy explosions which not only wipe out planets but their orbiting moons. I'm comfortable with that being more than enough to trounce Bill, regardless of Bill being a lower level planet buster or being tougher than Thor.

Thor didn't really do much beyond his normal self while under the influence of WM, either, from what I remember. He got dangerous after he got his hands on the Power Gem, sure. But ... er, what exactly did he do that was head and shoulders above his normal self?

He whapped Stardust's axe with Stormbreaker.

So ... I mean, you definitely could make that argument.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Thor didn't really do much beyond his normal self while under the influence of WM, either, from what I remember. He got dangerous after he got his hands on the Power Gem, sure. But ... er, what exactly did he do that was head and shoulders above his normal self?

He whapped Stardust's axe with Stormbreaker.

So ... I mean, you definitely could make that argument.
    WM Thor, as I recall, took out guys like the Silver Surfer which should normally be beyond his pay grade. (Yeah, he's had good showings against Surfer in the past, but sans power up I really don't buy that.) But I shouldn't comment too much there, I've just seen scans from that story arc.

As for combined energies, Bill also seemed to be wrestling control of the energy they were throwing at each other on the previous pages, via this crazy vortex move. Which reinforces the notion that the really destructive forces were being directed away from him thus rendering his durability somewhat irrelevant.

WM Thor, as I recall, took out guys like the Silver Surfer which should normally be beyond his pay grade. (Yeah, he's had good showings against Surfer in the past, but sans power up I really don't buy that.) But I shouldn't comment too much there, I've just seen scans from that story arc.
    If he's done it a few times before (bearing in mind that this is a comic, and not a Rumble where the Surfer would destroy him casually), and most recently had another showing in Fraction's run, I don't see how it makes the other showings bunk. I mean, off the top of my head, the fight in late 60's was an amped Silver Surfer, and both characters realizing the fight was amiss.

As for combined energies, Bill also seemed to be wrestling control of the energy they were throwing at each other on the previous pages, via this crazy vortex move. Which reinforces the notion that the really destructive forces were being directed away from him thus rendering his durability somewhat irrelevant.
    Given Stormbreaker is a counterpart to Mjolnir, it would make sense.

Arx Inosaan

Surfer rips open black holes as a distraction, zorches planets to prove a point, and emerges unscratched from point blank energy explosions which not only wipe out planets but their orbiting moons. I'm comfortable with that being more than enough to trounce Bill, regardless of Bill being a lower level planet buster or being tougher than Thor.
    It's only because you brought up Bill doing well vs Thor in the arc that Thor beat Surfer ( twice ) that I pointed out that the direct comparison doesn't work out so well

That aside someone who can apparently one shot planets should really not be losing that badly

Edit: now that I consider it , given Surfer has stomped Terrax and Morg people who one shot planets , yeah I guess you are right . I guess Surfer is that powerful
    Last edited by The Dork Knight; 12-18-2015 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    If he's done it a few times before (bearing in mind that this is a comic, and not a Rumble where the Surfer would destroy him casually), and most recently had another showing in Fraction's run, I don't see how it makes the other showings bunk. I mean, off the top of my head, the fight in late 60's was an amped Silver Surfer, and both characters realizing the fight was amiss.

Given Stormbreaker is a counterpart to Mjolnir, it would make sense.

Eh a dying and steadily getting worse Thor pretty much overpowered Surfer in Galactus seed ( he was dying for most of it till Loki got the cure) . Only redeeming factor being Surfer holding back for the most part

This seems to follow a pattern in Marvel from day 1 where Surfer is powerful but Thor is more so. Surfer was "more than a mortal, yet less than a God" while Thor was top dog ( narratively ) at that time. So much so that the first Thor-Surfer fight had Loki beating around Surfer for most of its early part , then needing to supply ever more energy to Surfer later, against a holding back Thor , to beat him ( by not KO him) . Surfer was explicitly not powerful enough to take down Thor on his own

But as you know, feats prove otherwise ( even at that time Surfer's first appearance involved him surfing a supernova to cross Skrull space ) and Surfer has better performaces against people in the Thor tier .. that are not Thor . Beta Ray Bill , angry Hulk etc

And here's really the problem with accepting BRB as a planet one shotter . He doesn't have many other showings outside this , if any at all that show him to be above Thor. Losing to Surfer , being the first to go down out of Gladiator and surfer , not even being identified as the most dangerous Annihilator ( narratively ) by Thanos recently , only running even or barely better with Thor from day one etc

So barring the one feat ....he doesn't really have a lot to put him clearly above Thor as opposed to the likes of Surfer or even Gladiator ( who like Bill has fewer appearances )

The only thing that really puts Gladiator above someone like Thor is that he is massively FTL and his powerset is intrinsic.

Anyway back to planet busting, this feat always got under my skin. Frankie Raye (Nova) was Herald of Galactus, she never really busted a planet but made a star go supernova. Considering she didn't have many appearances is this considered an outlier or is it accepted?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Crawfo; 12-21-2015 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfo View Post
    The only thing that really puts Gladiator above someone like Thor is that he is massively FTL and his powerset is intrinsic.

Anyway back to planet busting, this feat always got under my skin. Frankie Raye (Nova) was Herald of Galactus, she never really busted a planet but made a star go supernova. Considering she didn't have many appearances is this considered an outlier or is it accepted?
    AFAIK it's considered an outlier . Plus she didn't do it directly but burnt out its core and has fire powers in addition to her herald powers . She's also portrayed as one of the weaker heralds ( relatively speaking) .

As far as Gladiator goes he's straight up considered to be physically more powerful than Thor , even without his speed , doing things like reducing a planet to rubble with 3 blows and 2 shotting Thor, outlasting BRB vs Tyrant and getting up from BB whispering in his ear and the like. ( The Hulk for instance was KOd by less from BB)

Isn't there another scan of Nova busting a star with Silver Surfer watching saying it's something all heralds did for kicks?

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

should i mention wyrm from TMNT is a casual planet buster?