Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Ollie 1962 View Post
    Uh uh. I saw no semblance of Hal Jordan.
    That is not really an issue since practically nobody in the audience has ever heard of Hal Jordan.

Incredible Member

No. 99% of movie characters don't have prequel movies that set them up to get people invested.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    Spiderman has had four solo movies (doesn't matter that Disney didn't produce them), Capt. America has had 2 solo movies, Hulk has been on the big screen twice (and has a well-known origin, gets angry and turns green and gets big).
    And? I guess that totally disproves my point because Batman and Superman have never had solo movies before and are totally unknown to the general public. Clearly this proves that should have had solo movies instead of BvS.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    Spiderman has had four solo movies (doesn't matter that Disney didn't produce them), Capt. America has had 2 solo movies, Hulk has been on the big screen twice (and has a well-known origin, gets angry and turns green and gets big).
    Am I the only one who thinks that Captain America only had the one solo movie?

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks that Captain America only had the one solo movie?
    I admit, I'm still not hugely sure how we're qualifying a "solo movie" in this thread.

Winter Soldier is pretty close to an ensemble cast, though. It's solo in the sense that, as far as I can recall, nobody has a fully developed arc except Steve. Even then, it's not as if the movie couldn't, essentially, play out without Cap there.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I admit, I'm still not hugely sure how we're qualifying a "solo movie" in this thread.

Winter Soldier is pretty close to an ensemble cast, though. It's solo in the sense that, as far as I can recall, nobody has a fully developed arc except Steve. Even then, it's not as if the movie couldn't, essentially, play out without Cap there.
    Considering the Winter Soldier is a friend of Steve's and Steve helps break his brainwashing, I'd say, no, it couldn't play out without Steve.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Considering the Winter Soldier is a friend of Steve's and Steve helps break his brainwashing, I'd say, no, it couldn't play out without Steve.
    Fair enough. Though, for the title, that's pretty much a minor subplot to the movie's dominant Hydra-is-SHIELD/giant-floating-fortresses focus.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The Winter Soldier is not important to the plot of the film and could have been left out as well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeMonster View Post
    No. 99% of movie characters don't have prequel movies that set them up to get people invested.
    99.99% To be exact.

I don't think they are particularly necessary and I feel some people just want them for the sake of blindly following Marvel's approach (would you believe that some people were complaining about how DC should of done Deadshot, Harley, Joker etc. solos before Suicide Squad?).

It worked for Marvel great, DC should do what they want however. BvS will be introducing the Trinity and "letting us know the others exist" in Snyder's words, setting foundations for the Justice League. So people will have a great gauge of what the Trinity are like and at least be aware of the others by the time BvS is finished. Not to mention the Wonder Woman solo is also happening before Justice League arrives which will further flesh out her character. By the time Justice League rolls around i'm quite confident audiences will know the majority of characters in the League so I don't really find numerous solo movies are needed.
    When you crush an ant beneath your foot, do feel remorse? No. Is this because you are evil or because you recognize yourself as a higher form of life? This is what the Wizard could not understand. If I have the powers of the gods, then am I not a god myself? Should I not be treated as such?

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Ollie 1962 View Post
    Uh uh. I saw no semblance of Hal Jordan. Reynolds is right where he belongs as Deadpool.
    I did. I saw a ton of my favorite DC character in Reynolds. The problem is that there have been a few too many twists to the Hal Jordan story. At his heart though he always had that swagger.. that arrogance that he was gonna do what he believed was right... Despite people telling him not to... despite it being considered dangerous... despite it being impossible.

It's really one of the things that O'neil and Adams got wrong on their legendary run. Hal was never the uptight conservative. he was the one who was always talking back to the Guardians and bucking the system.

Reynold's GL was pretty good version of the early Hal and Waid's JLA year one Hal.

Admittedly, I think Nathan Fillian would have born for that role... but I think that ship's passed by now

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Adam View Post
    I don't think they are particularly necessary and I feel some people just want them for the sake of blindly following Marvel's approach (would you believe that some people were complaining about how DC should of done Deadshot, Harley, Joker etc. solos before Suicide Squad?).

It worked for Marvel great, DC should do what they want however. BvS will be introducing the Trinity and "letting us know the others exist" in Snyder's words, setting foundations for the Justice League. So people will have a great gauge of what the Trinity are like and at least be aware of the others by the time BvS is finished. Not to mention the Wonder Woman solo is also happening before Justice League arrives which will further flesh out her character. By the time Justice League rolls around i'm quite confident audiences will know the majority of characters in the League so I don't really find numerous solo movies are needed.
    I think People put too much emphasis on 'what Marvel does'. Iron Man, Cap, Thor, Hulk are the only ones who've gotten solo movies. Hawkeye, Black Widow and Nick Fury didn't. That's just phase one. BW is gonna be in 5 movies without a solo show yet. It's working just fine.

Vision, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Bucky, Falcoln, Black Panther, MCU-Spider-man... They all show up in movies that didn't 'feature' them.

So far, counting Ant-man, we've had only 5 heroes since 2008 get their own movie before joining together with a team of some sort. So really, even Marvel isn't following the 'marvel' approach as much as people want to claim.