Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Winterworld, #1

Winter is coming early! All new stories based on the Chuck Dixon/Jorge Zaffino classic! The apocalyptic international comics sensation of an Earth turned to an icy hell is back with Dixon returning to script and Butch Guice doing some of the best work of his illustrious artistic career as they take on the bleak and frozen future. Follow Scully and Wynn from their icy home of Wintersea into a killing wasteland where the coldest place is the human heart.

Full article here.

All-New Member

hope they fix that first page- "...that the coldest place on"

otherwise, looks great

Looks pretty interesting. I'm giving the first issue a go.

This looks so good! Love me some good post apocalyptic sci fi. Have it on my pull.

Recently bought the collected edition of the original comics. They were pretty freaking awesome. I'm looking forward to this.

Frozen wasteland settings being my favorite, this is a sure bet for me.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Butch Guice's art looks beautiful, interiors and covers. I've preordered the subscription variants of issues #1 and #2. I'm thinking of preordering issue #3 but may wait for a collected edition in order to avoid double dipping. I do need to get hold of an HC collected edition of the original comics.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

The original Winterworld is the best thing that Chuck Dixon has done. I expect great things from this mini.

I just recently bought and read the recent TPB collection that IDW put out and boy was this good. The story was great, the art was fantastic! It's really a shame the comic book world had to lose Jorge Zaffino. What a great artist. For as great as his art was, I did kind of wish it was in color, but in a snowy ice covered world, it being uncolored seemed to work just fine. I was very pleased to learn that this continuation of the series will be in color! The solicit wasn't kidding, Butch Guice is putting out some of his best work here. After reading the TPB, it's hard to believe that it took soooo long for Chuck Dixon to pick this back up. But having read it for the first time recently, there was no long wait! Can't for this this month.

What we do is secret Oskar Von Strange's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    I just recently bought and read the recent TPB collection that IDW put out and boy was this good. The story was great, the art was fantastic! It's really a shame the comic book world had to lose Jorge Zaffino. What a great artist. For as great as his art was, I did kind of wish it was in color, but in a snowy ice covered world, it being uncolored seemed to work just fine. I was very pleased to learn that this continuation of the series will be in color! The solicit wasn't kidding, Butch Guice is putting out some of his best work here. After reading the TPB, it's hard to believe that it took soooo long for Chuck Dixon to pick this back up. But having read it for the first time recently, there was no long wait! Can't for this this month.
    I, on the other hand, was really hoping this new series would stick to black and white. The coloring doesn't look all too bad in the preview, but I can live with.

The art though, is pretty fantastic! I can't wait to see where this new series goes.
    Currently reading:Creepy, Eerie, The Goddamned, The Goon, Haunted Horror, Hellboy, King Conan, Last Gang in Town, Sherrif of Babylon, Stray Bullets, Usagi Yojimbo, Weird Love

I am definitely going to check out the first issue

Got the first issue and loved it. Guice's art is just breathtaking. I love the writing but it was really short, felt like the story just got started and it was over. I had to do a page count and found out it was only 20 pages of story. Is all IDW floppies this way? I thought it was only Marvel that cut the page count from 22. Anyways, I'm in for the long haul. I feel like I'm reading a winter themed Mad Max, love it! I'm also glad that it's in color, looks just beautiful on the glossy pages. Highly recommended, can't wait for next issue.

Spectacular Member ThiefHookUps's Avatar

This was an alright issue but I was a little underhwelmed as there wasn't anything to spur me to keep reading. It definitely felt like this might be better to get in trades (if at all).

What we do is secret Oskar Von Strange's Avatar

A bit late, but I got my copy yesterday and I really liked what I saw. The art was awesome and the colors were actually great. I really enjoy the interactions of Scully and Wynn. I really hope this series succeeds because there's so much potential.

Also. . .
    spoilers:
    I sort of noticed that both Scully and Wynn had all ten of their fingers, when each they had lost a couple from the original story. That kinda bothered me.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    Got the first issue and loved it. Guice's art is just breathtaking. I love the writing but it was really short, felt like the story just got started and it was over. I had to do a page count and found out it was only 20 pages of story. Is all IDW floppies this way? I thought it was only Marvel that cut the page count from 22.
    I had to do a page count too and was disappointed it was only 20 pages!
    Currently reading:Creepy, Eerie, The Goddamned, The Goon, Haunted Horror, Hellboy, King Conan, Last Gang in Town, Sherrif of Babylon, Stray Bullets, Usagi Yojimbo, Weird Love

So the solicitations on Previews says issue #2 is out on 7/2, that's next week. I could've sworn I just got issue #1 last week, not that I'm complaining. I love this book. Now I have to hunt down the original series.