Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

I just realized it looks like they're going to complete Grell's run on Green Arrow in TPB. Vol. 7 comes out soon, then the solicited Vol. 8 should take us through #72. Vol. 9 would probably take us through #80, and then they could probably include The Wonder Year there and/or maybe the GA Annual I think Grell wrote. Maybe they could also do a Vol. 10 fat TPB with the Shado mini series + Wonder Year, or maybe the Denny O'Neil annuals that involved Green Arrow that took place during the Grell years.

Spectacular Member

Did someone say Fat DC Trades?

What I got so far, granted its all Vertigo, but still:

Hellblazer

Can't show the rest in the post, but I've also got all five books of Lucifer, the first two Doom Patrol books, the first two Sandman Mystery Theatre books, and the first two Northlanders books.

Still need Doom Patrol Book 3, Northlanders Book 3 (The European Saga), and however many more Hellblazer and Sandman Mystery Theatre books there will be. Also interested in the Books of Magic and Kid Eternity upcoming books, which should both be Fat Trades. And of course, forever waiting on any word about Shade: The Changing Man getting the Fat Trade treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by ROM Spaceknight View Post
    My wishes for series to be reprinted in DC's fat Trades are pretty much unchanged from last year. I.e., it would be great to see the following reprinted in this format - these are all (or mostly) from the '80's:

The '80's-early '90's Firestorm the Nuclear Man series

The '70's/'80's Warlord series by Mike Grell

The underrated sci-fi series Atari Force

The '80's series Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld

Arak, Son of Thunder

Arion Lord of Atlantis
    ROM, you have spectacular taste. As I said earlier, once again in reply to you, Amethyst all the way. The Firestorm series would be a lot of fun as well.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fillmont View Post

That's beautiful.

All of those consecutive numbers are a collectors dream...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    That's beautiful.

All of those consecutive numbers are a collectors dream...
    as pretty as it looks I wish for 2 things: do it in hardcover with proper paper and don't number them. Some people might want to skip Delano's run or some others in the future but you just can't have them starting from vol 5 or skipping a few volumes in the middle. I REALLY want to recommend the Ennis run to a lot of people but even casual buyers don't want to start buying them from v5 and reading only the 2nd half of the book.

Also, about Sandman Mystery Theatre. Vol2 is comming out and I will buy it because I love the series but can't find it under 18 quid here in the UK. I'm pretty sure v1 was only like 13. What the hell happened ?

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    as pretty as it looks I wish for 2 things: do it in hardcover with proper paper and don't number them. Some people might want to skip Delano's run or some others in the future but you just can't have them starting from vol 5 or skipping a few volumes in the middle. I REALLY want to recommend the Ennis run to a lot of people but even casual buyers don't want to start buying them from v5 and reading only the 2nd half of the book.

Also, about Sandman Mystery Theatre. Vol2 is comming out and I will buy it because I love the series but can't find it under 18 quid here in the UK. I'm pretty sure v1 was only like 13. What the hell happened ?
    I'd have appreciated hardcovers myself, however I love the paper in these books! As I've ranted about elsewhere, matte paper just holds the colors of older material so much better than the glossy stuff. Conversely, anything originally printed on glossy paper should continue to be reprinted on such.

As far as SMT, no idea what happened, but all of DC's collections seem to have gotten a price hike recently. Sucks.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I'd have appreciated hardcovers myself, however I love the paper in these books! As I've ranted about elsewhere, matte paper just holds the colors of older material so much better than the glossy stuff. Conversely, anything originally printed on glossy paper should continue to be reprinted on such.

As far as SMT, no idea what happened, but all of DC's collections seem to have gotten a price hike recently. Sucks.
    there is a difference between quality matte and crappy pulp. there are types of paper that have the same effect as the pulpy ones in Hellblazer but are much better quality but still not the archival stuff Fantagraphics, IDW or some DC absolutes use.

As for the price hike, hike the price of Bat books or Green arrow. No one gives a hoot about Wesley Dodds, it just makes the potential buyers push the books down on their to buy list.

Fantastic Member

Thanks for the pic. of the Hellblazer trades - that was an excellent Vertigo series. I have the first two Trades above, and hope to get at least some of the later ones. I remember reading this series back in the '90's - excellent horror comic, and Constantine is an amazing anti-hero. The short-lived TV series that came out a while back was great as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    ROM, you have spectacular taste. As I said earlier, once again in reply to you, Amethyst all the way. The Firestorm series would be a lot of fun as well.
    Thanks! I agree with you. Re: my mention of Atari Force in my last post, IIRC Dynamite announced they were going to reprint this way back in 2015, but no new news since then - I'm guessing plans for reprinting fell through?!:

http://www.comicsbeat.com/dynamite-p...s-atari-force/

Thanks for the pic. of the Hellblazer trades - that was an excellent Vertigo series. I have the first two Trades above, and hope to get at least some of the later ones. I remember reading this series back in the '90's - excellent horror comic, and Constantine is an amazing anti-hero. The short-lived TV series that came out a while back was great as well.

Thanks! I agree with you. Re: my mention of Atari Force in my last post, IIRC Dynamite announced they were going to reprint this way back in 2015, but no new news since then - I'm guessing plans for reprinting fell through?!:

http://www.comicsbeat.com/dynamite-p...s-atari-force/
    I guess preorder sales were abysmal. I mean Atari isn't even really around anymore. It be a neat collection, but I don't know if there's an audience for that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by fillmont View Post
    Did someone say Fat DC Trades?

What I got so far, granted its all Vertigo, but still:

Hellblazer

Can't show the rest in the post, but I've also got all five books of Lucifer, the first two Doom Patrol books, the first two Sandman Mystery Theatre books, and the first two Northlanders books.

Still need Doom Patrol Book 3, Northlanders Book 3 (The European Saga), and however many more Hellblazer and Sandman Mystery Theatre books there will be. Also interested in the Books of Magic and Kid Eternity upcoming books, which should both be Fat Trades. And of course, forever waiting on any word about Shade: The Changing Man getting the Fat Trade treatment.
    Dude...that's just beautiful. My collector sense just smiles at those trades.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Fantastic Member

I guess preorder sales were abysmal. I mean Atari isn't even really around anymore. It be a neat collection, but I don't know if there's an audience for that anymore.
    I don't think the potential reprint(s) ever even got the point where they were pre-ordered; I believe the announcement was made & nothing was followed through after that.

The irony is that the Atari Force series had nothing to do with the Atari game system; it was a completely original sci-fi comic with incredible art by Jose Luis Garcia Lopez:

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Atari_Force/Covers

I don't think the potential reprint(s) ever even got the point where they were pre-ordered; I believe the announcement was made & nothing was followed through after that.

The irony is that the Atari Force series had nothing to do with the Atari game system; it was a completely original sci-fi comic with incredible art by Jose Luis Garcia Lopez:

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Atari_Force/Covers
    I wonder if that was just announced way too prematurely. A shame, because DC has a nasty history of doing that often. Maybe someday.

Fantastic Member

I wonder if that was just announced way too prematurely. A shame, because DC has a nasty history of doing that often. Maybe someday.
    Actually, Dynamite was scheduled to reprint the classic Atari Force series - but you're right that DC originally published this. I don't think Dynamite is that reliable when it comes to their reprint programs. I'm guessing they just made the announcement in Summer 2015 when they thought they would do the reprints, and then for whatever reason we're still waiting for these 1 1/2 years later...

Again, it's too bad that people associate "Atari" with that old gaming system from the '80's. However, back in the day, I think the reason the comic was called AF at that time was because it was probably (correctly) thought that back in the '80's, the name may have interested more readers due to the association with "Atari". However, 30+ years later, this association is a detriment - rather than an asset - when it comes to possibly reprinting the series.
    Last edited by ROM Spaceknight; 01-08-2017 at 04:13 PM.

Fantastic Member

The Hellblazer collections are a fantastic thing, and I love picking up a new one every few months. Looking forward to ordering 15 next week, along with the 2nd Sandman Mystery Theatre.

I'd buy collections of that size of Shade the Changing Man, DC... hint hint.

Actually, Dynamite was scheduled to reprint the classic Atari Force series - but you're right that DC originally published this. I don't think Dynamite is that reliable when it comes to their reprint programs. I'm guessing they just made the announcement in Summer 2015 when they thought they would do the reprints, and then for whatever reason we're still waiting for these 1 1/2 years later...

Again, it's too bad that people associate "Atari" with that old gaming system from the '80's. However, back in the day, I think the reason the comic was called AF at that time was because it was probably (correctly) thought that back in the '80's, the name may have interested more readers due to the association with "Atari". However, 30+ years later, this association is a detriment - rather than an asset - when it comes to possibly reprinting the series.
    That's even stranger. I wonder if it was sort of legal dispute over the rights to the series then.