Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Well, historically Vertigo has published traditional trades as Volumes, recollected trades or softcover versions of deluxe editions as Books. Not an official way to tell if a collection is a normal sized trade or a fat chunky one, but a useful distinction. Volumes = traditional trades and Books = fat thick trades.

I bought the Kid Vertigo Book One out of curiosity and out of support for the new fat trades. But alas, despite being called Book One, this is very much a traditional trade paperback.

Behold, the treachery!

Spectacular Member

Here Kid Eternity Book One is compared to Sandman Mystery Theatre Books One and Two and Shade: The Changing Man Volumes One, Two, and Three.

In the end its a minor thing, I just wish companies would be consistent in how they describe things.

Quote Originally Posted by fillmont View Post
    Well, historically Vertigo has published traditional trades as Volumes, recollected trades or softcover versions of deluxe editions as Books. Not an official way to tell if a collection is a normal sized trade or a fat chunky one, but a useful distinction. Volumes = traditional trades and Books = fat thick trades.

I bought the Kid Vertigo Book One out of curiosity and out of support for the new fat trades. But alas, despite being called Book One, this is very much a traditional trade paperback.

Behold, the treachery!

I see what you're saying. I agree they should have just named it volume one. I don't understand their desire to have it under BOOK one.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Wow, that's surprisingly thin.

What issues does it collect? This series only lasted 16, so I assumed "Book 2" would complete the run. Maybe not...?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Spectacular Member

Collects Issues 1-9, which I figured would be pretty thin for a fat trade, but maybe it'd have some sketches or something. No dice. And yes, "Book 2" would complete the set. Why not just have all 16 in a big nice thick trade, I have no idea.

Fantastic Member

Kid Eternity is fine but what is really missing is fat Shade the Changing Man trades. Or other Milligan series like Egypt and Girl. I don't like the way that Vertigo editors threats Milligan.

Quote Originally Posted by fillmont View Post
    Collects Issues 1-9, which I figured would be pretty thin for a fat trade, but maybe it'd have some sketches or something. No dice. And yes, "Book 2" would complete the set. Why not just have all 16 in a big nice thick trade, I have no idea.
    At 16 issues, that easily could have been a single fat trade. Especially given the fact its more unpopular because....Nocenti...

Astonishing Member

And I received an e-mail this morning that the Superman: Man of Tomorrow Book One (the first post Byrne collection) has been indefinitely delayed.

In the past year, I've pre ordered quite a few collections of older material from DC. Over half of them have been cancelled or "indefinitely delayed". I'm getting really tired of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    And I received an e-mail this morning that the Superman: Man of Tomorrow Book One (the first post Byrne collection) has been indefinitely delayed.

In the past year, I've pre ordered quite a few collections of older material from DC. Over half of them have been cancelled or "indefinitely delayed". I'm getting really tired of this.
    I wonder what the reason is. Why cant they just release the content as intended?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    I wonder what the reason is. Why cant they just release the content as intended?
    I believe that DC does these listings as testing the water for interest. And if there are not enough pre-orders, then they are cancelled. It really gets annoying when this happens on such a regular basis.

I know a lot of people are critical of Marvel's collections (pricing and quality), but they have a much better track record of collecting their older material. Between the Omnibi release schedule and the epic and complete collection lines, they are releasing a lot of material on a steady basis. They also rarely (although it has happened) cancel collections that have been listed.

Has Dark Horse ever cancelled any listed collections? I'm not familiar enough with them to say for certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    This is exactly what I feared would happen with this particular book. I'm guessing it's related to pre-orders too; while there's an audience for this material, they don't want it in HC, and they don't want it at a premium price. This should have been a paperback, priced $10-15 less.

But now DC just thinks no one wants it, so they'll cancel it indefinitely...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

I wouldn't mind seeing L.E.G.I.O.N collected in some fat trades, can't even remember how long the book went on for, was it legion 88, 89, 90 and 91 with a couple of annuals?

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    This is exactly what I feared would happen with this particular book. I'm guessing it's related to pre-orders too; while there's an audience for this material, they don't want it in HC, and they don't want it at a premium price. This should have been a paperback, priced $10-15 less.

But now DC just thinks no one wants it, so they'll cancel it indefinitely...
    but what preorders? North American comicbook shops? Or including amazon? CGN? What about IST release day purchases? By this logic why not just go to kickstarter? At least that would be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing L.E.G.I.O.N collected in some fat trades, can't even remember how long the book went on for, was it legion 88, 89, 90 and 91 with a couple of annuals?
    70 issues between '89 - '94, and 5 annuals.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Do you guys have some opinions/thoughts to share on CHASE J.H. Williams trade collection? Is that a story worth picking up?